Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

We are starting to see that Trump's great economy isn't so great after all.

First Quarter Growth is being revised downward.   The corp excitement over the tax cuts has subsided and now the weight

of the tariffs are setting in.  Retail sales are down and ToysRus is about to close 700+ stores wt 33k jobs. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/all-that-optimism-for-hot-first-quarter-economic-growth-is-rapidly-fading-away.html

The move lower in the tracker came as several Wall Street banks also marked down their Q1 numbers Wednesday.

J.P. Morgan cut its forecast from 2.5 percent to 2 percent, while Goldman Sachs reduced its call from 2 percent to 1.8 percent. All of the reductions, including the Fed's, came with the disappointing 0.1 percent drop in retail sales, the third straight month of declines.

The original optimism from the Atlanta Fed specifically was based on a hot ISM manufacturing index survey, a mistake the tracker has made in the past.

Projections soon started coming down, starting with a disappointing read in residential investment in mid-February and continuing through a space of readings that came in less than expected and sliced the Citi Economic Surprise Index about in half from its level at the beginning of the year. GDPNow had been showing a 3.5 percent reading as recently as March 1.

One hopeful comment is this:

The first quarter has been historically slow for growth, with 2017 up just 1.2 percent and 2016 a scant 0.6 percent, though GDP rose 3.2 percent in Q1 of 2015 after being down 0.9 percent for the same period in 2014.

Signed the funding bill. As usual, his bluster is just all talk, no action. Trump is very good at posturing like a tough guy, but never follows through on his threats.

Also, this:

He's just SO ignorant about just everything in general. This man has no idea about any given topic he talks about and he runs the United States government.

• Plus1 1

I sometimes wonder what Pence is thinking wt that expression on his face.  Like "The idiot really just said that?"   Trump threats a veto, does nothing - he has no core values.  Doesn't matter if his toss to the wind philosophy hurts the us or not in his mind. 

38 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I sometimes wonder what Pence is thinking wt that expression on his face.  Like "The idiot really just said that?"   Trump threats a veto, does nothing - he has no core values.  Doesn't matter if his toss to the wind philosophy hurts the us or not in his mind. 

Pence is probably just waiting and hoping he can take over.

The line item thing brings up a thought I've had many a time. I'm against letting the president do that. However...

I HATE it when there are these massive bills and all of the politicians slip in unrelated things to the bill. Also, they can do stuff like the following scenario I'm making up, but I've seen similar things:

There's a big bill that makes health care cheaper for kids with horrible illnesses. In the fine print there's a line that removes all funding for women who have been abused. Politician A votes for it.

6 months later there's an ad campaign about politician A saying he voted to let men beat their wives.

Edited by Moiraine
19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The line item thing brings up a thought I've had many a time. I'm against letting the president do that. However...

I HATE it when there are these massive bills and all of the politicians slip in unrelated things to the bill. Also, they can do stuff like the following scenario I'm making up, but I've seen similar things:

There's a big bill that makes health care cheaper for kids with horrible illnesses. In the fine print there's a line that removes all funding for women who have been abused. Politician A votes for it.

6 months later there's an ad campaign about politician A saying he voted to let men beat their wives.

That type of disingenuous advertising is gaining in popularity recently. The GOP used it to claim Democrats didn't want to fund CHIP because of illegal immigrants during the shutdown.

I saw that our very own Governor Ricketts was using the same technique to call out NE legislators for not advancing his budget (LB944). Straight from his press release:

“By filibustering the mainline budget, some State Senators are putting vital state services for our children at risk.  Because of an influx of children into our child welfare system, funding will run out in May.  It is absolutely critical that the Legislature move the budget forward, which contains new child welfare funding, and get it to my desk.  With only days left in the session, the clock is ticking.”

What he fails to tell you:

At least 13 amendments have been filed on LB944, which contains a provision by Gov. Pete Ricketts that would prevent Title X funding for programs that perform, assist or refer for abortion. To qualify for the funding, an organization would have to show objective legal, physical and financial separation from any provider that performs or refers for abortions.

Ricketts wants to defund NE Planned Parenthood, among other organizations that provide necessary healthcare services, because he found that funds had been used on abortions in "a couple of audits."

Our state budget is not getting passed because our governor chooses to be a culture warrior.

• Plus1 1