Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Good for AOC for campaigning on her beliefs, and for sticking to them.

Good for Pelosi for saying those beliefs are not going to be mainstream Democratic ideals.

Maybe, if AOC sticks around and earns some bona fides, she should split off from the Democrats and form her own party.  America could use a third (or fourth, or fifth) party. There is zero likelihood that two parties accurately represent the diverse ideas & ideals of 350+ million Americans.

Maybe Pelosi has been around long enough that we can say her ideas and politics aren't working.

And if the Dems split then the Repubs will have the Presidency for the foreseeable future because of the 270 electors required.

Just now, knapplc said:

Which of Pelosi's policies aren't working?

off the top of my head: climate change, deregulating banking before the Great Recession, and enacting ineffective banking regulation afterwards

On the politics side, under her leadership the Dems lost over 1000 seats across the country and saw the worst state of the party in 100 years.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, BigRedBuster said:

A farmer with 1,000 acres of corn and 1,000 acres of beans, lost roughly $50,000 this morning in potential earnings simply because of a couple tweets last night.

This idiot had better get something figured out before harvest.

Having grown up on a farm myself, I remember the "good old days" when the biggest unknown was the weather, not some idiotic puppet master pulling strings from the White House. 

• Plus1 1

On 4/22/2019 at 12:02 PM, RedDenver said:

Maybe Pelosi has been around long enough that we can say her ideas and politics aren't working.

And if the Dems split then the Repubs will have the Presidency for the foreseeable future because of the 270 electors required.

Yep. If you watched the 2016 election and the 2018 midterms and think the message for Democrats is "more Pelosi" then you weren't really watching. 

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Having grown up on a farm myself, I remember the "good old days" when the biggest unknown was the weather, not some idiotic puppet master pulling strings from the White House. 

I think some Nebraskans are gonna be torn on this, but my bet is they still vote Idiotic Puppet Master 2020.

TrumpBarn.jpg

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think some Nebraskans are gonna be torn on this, but my bet is they still vote Idiotic Puppet Master 2020.

TrumpBarn.jpg

My partner in golf league is a farmer who reluctantly voted for Trump.  Talking to him this spring......he's pretty stressed.  I purposely don't talk to him a lot about it but, I would guess if the election were today he would not vote for him.  But, he wasn't a die hard Trump supporter that thinks he's God's gift to America.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, BigRedBuster said:

A farmer with 1,000 acres of corn and 1,000 acres of beans, lost roughly $50,000 this morning in potential earnings simply because of a couple tweets last night.

This idiot had better get something figured out before harvest.

yes, and the stock market is down big time today - so he affects the rest of us.  His ever evolving, shoot from the hip policy making is taking the country on a roller coaster ride.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, TheSker said:

If you don't think a significant number of golfers are Trump supporters, well......

Sounds like some might fine swamp work there - between the Golden Bear and old Yellow Face. 

6 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

Ya but Trump really *gets* farmers. He doesn't really want to be in Washington. He's just there to help the people who are like him, seeing as he's from a rural area and understands.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 5/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, BigRedBuster said:

The quote within the quote below demonstrates how Trump's 25% tariff is anything but an American first policy.  Tariff's affect the US based companies that import the goods and raw materials needed for their business.  Those prices get based on to the consumer.  This could propel companies to leave the USA - thusly destroying the concept of bringing manufacturing jobs back to the USA.  This isn't the 1950s when the USA had full capability to control 95% of the value chain within our own boarders.  Every since 1973 when Nixon started to let the dollar float, we've become more and more an importer vs an exporter - where our balance of trade is hugely on the import side - and much of it wt China. Our industries have become more and more reliant on the value chain that is outside of our boards.  So, Trump is effectively daring someone to hit the moving board that he is holding in front of his face.  The tariffs in today's type of global economy is self inflicted punishment.   The guy is an idiot. 

https://www.axios.com/trump-trade-war-china-tariffs-global-market-reaction-9dc0e15a-2b6f-4bc9-a298-084d53f5d5ad.html

President Trump raised tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods Friday morning to 25%. The president also is expected to tax nearly all of China's imports as punishment for Beijing’s attempt to "renegotiate" a trade deal.

Why it matters: Having long priced in a happy ending to the trade war, the market will need to reassess U.S. businesses and the state of the U.S. economy. Further, supply chains may need to be rethought and entire businesses may have to be re-evaluated.

• UBS Global Wealth Management's CIO Mark Haefele announced the bank would reduce risk exposure, noting further escalation could lead to a 10–15% decline in U.S. equities and 15–20% fall in the Chinese market.
  • "Trade-exposed sectors could suffer the most, including technology, industrials, and energy," he said in a note.

Details: Lingling Wei and Bob Davis of the Wall Street Journal report that Beijing was emboldened by the perception that the U.S. was ready to compromise because of Trump's lobbying for rate cuts by the Federal Reserve, a sign the U.S. economy is weak and in need of stimulus.

What's next? The global economy is so complex and interdependent that the second-, third-, and fourth-order effects are effectively unforeseeable.

• The first-order effects of Trump's tariff hikes will be felt by any U.S. companies importing goods from China, since they’re going to have to pay the tariffs.
    • Second-order effects would include things like U.S. companies passing increased costs on to U.S. consumers, as well as retaliatory tariffs from China on U.S. goods.
    • Third-order effects might include U.S. companies relocating operations to Vietnam and other Asian countries if they think these tariffs are going to be here to stay. But at this point we’re in the realm of speculation.

The big picture: On the U.S. side, the big question will be whether Trump is serious about taxing all incoming goods from China or whether he will continue to give carve-outs for products like the iPhone, as he did when he first began announcing tariffs last year.

On the Chinese side, authorities will likely target U.S. industries with political importance. Ahead of the 2018 midterms it was Harley-Davidson motorcycles, whiskey, cranberries, soybeans and pork, which hit — among other places — the home states of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and then-House Speaker Paul Ryan.

• Expect tariffs this round to be just as targeted, and for the Chinese government to start taking aim at U.S. businesses that operate in China with home bases in important swing states.

•