Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

On 2/14/2018 at 9:08 PM, Moiraine said:

I'm fine with a gas tax increase. We have bridges that are going to be falling. However...

Trump's pretty stupid, so when he was talking to people about this did he really mean a 25 cent "increase," or did he mean increase the tax to 25 cents?

The wording in the article is that it will increased by 25 cents, i.e. his idea is to make the tax 43.4 cents per gallon. But since he's bad at words I don't know if that's what he meant.

The tax is currently 18.4 cents. An increase to 25 cents would make a lot more... sense. Even that should be done gradually. Maybe 50 cents per year 'til it gets to 25.

There are a lot of products that are produced in Nebraska that are shipped to larger population areas on the coasts.  Those industries already fight transportation costs.  This would do nothing but damage employment in our state.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:55 PM, Moiraine said:

IMO the purpose of a gas tax should be to have the people who use the roads most pay for them. Farmers aren't using the roads much for their business, so they could/should come up with something for them to give an exception. I'm assuming they use mostly diesel, so that would be a start.

Edit: looks like that already exists. From irs.gov:

Wait....farmers don't use roads for their business?  How do they get from field to field?  How do they get their seed corn and other inputs delivers to them?  How do they get their products to market?

As to the quoted legislation.  Why are farmers given a way to recoup this cost but other industries aren't?

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait....farmers don't use roads for their business?  How do they get from field to field?  How do they get their seed corn and other inputs delivers to them?  How do they get their products to market?

As to the quoted legislation.  Why are farmers given a way to recoup this cost but other industries aren't?

I didn't say they don't use roads. For your last line, that's why I think they should be using the savings for the gas they use for their farm equipment. Not for their travel.

Edited by Moiraine

43 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

And they are already subsidized. So why would a gradual increase from 18.4 cents to 25 cents be so terrible?

An increase of 25 cents is stupid, I agree.

So, are you saying you support increasing the subsidies too?

Also, again...why are farmers any different getting their products to market from Nebraska than any other industry?

An increase in gas tax directly negatively affects jobs and industries in Nebraska.  If you haven't noticed, we aren't close to many large population areas.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, are you saying you support increasing the subsidies too?

Also, again...why are farmers any different getting their products to market from Nebraska than any other industry?

An increase in gas tax directly negatively affects jobs and industries in Nebraska.  If you haven't noticed, we aren't close to many large population areas.

I don't think they're different. I think they should only be handled differently when it comes to gas for farm equipment.

I'm for an increase in the gas tax. We've already had bridges collapse. A 25 cent increase is insane. A 6.6 cent increase over the next 15 years is fine.

I'm against increasing farm subsidies. I think they are already receiving too many subsidies as it is.

Edited by Moiraine
31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think they're different. I think they should only be handled differently when it comes to gas for farm equipment.

I'm for an increase in the gas tax. We've already had bridges collapse. A 25 cent increase is insane. A 6.6 cent increase over the next 15 years is fine.

I'm against increasing farm subsidies. I think they are already receiving too many subsidies as it is.

As for the gas tax, I think we pretty much agree.

Actually, when researching this a bit, I found out that I think there is a difference between "Gas Tax" and "Diesel Tax"

If they are just thinking of moving the "Gas Tax" up from 18.4 to 25, I have much less problem with that.

Wait, didn't Trump say he wasn't going to get any new Air Force Ones because he wanted to save the tax payers so much money?

I find this interesting because Boeing CEO has been on CNBC this week quite a bit talking about how great Trump is and how great his tax bill is and how the tax bill has allowed them to invest more money in their company to grow the business....etc.

I guess he got rewarded for his worship of the great leader.