What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

49 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

According to Taggart he said they (Oregon) didn't not go into conservative mode during the second half.

Unless every play they call is run/pass option, I'd say he's lying. The numbers don't lie. 

On 9/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, RedDenver said:

1st Quarter: Oregon had 9 rushes and 12 passes (57% passes)

2nd: 11 rush, 13 pass (54%)

3rd: 8 rush, 7 pass (47%)

4th: 16 rush, 1 pass (6%)

So 3rd quarter was slightly less than the first half, but the 4th quarter they were clearly try to milk the clock and not throw.

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

1st Quarter

9 carries for 54 yards; 6.0 ypc

10/12 passing, 83.3%, 138 yards, 11.5 ypa

57.1% passing plays

Passes by yards thrown downfield:

< 5 yards downfield: 5-5, 100.0%, 27 yards - 41.7% of throws

5-15 yards downfield: 2-3, 66.7%, 29 yards - 25.0% 

16+ yards downfield: 3-4, 75.0%, 82 yards, 2 TDs - 33.3%

2nd Quarter

11 carries for 42 yards; 3.8 ypc

11/13 passing, 84.6%, 175 yards, 13.5 ypa

54.2% passing plays

< 5 yards downfield: 6-6, 100.0%, 32 yards - 46.2% of throws

5-15 yards downfield: 1-1, xxx%, 21 yards - 7.7%

16+ yards downfield: 4-6, xxx%, 122 yards, 1 TD - 46.2%   *also threw deep when PI called on Lamar Jackson, not an official play

3rd Quarter

8 carries for 51 yards; 6.4 ypc

4/7 passing, 57.1%, 52 yards, 6.5 ypa

46.7% passing plays

< 5 yards downfield: 3-4, 75.0%, 14 yards - 57.1% of throws

5-15 yards downfield: 1-1, 100.0%, 38 yards - 14.3%

16+ yards downfield: 0-2, 0.0%, 0 yards, 1 INT - 28.6%

4th Quarter

16 carries for 54 yards; 3.8 ypc

0-1 passing, 0.0%, 0 yards, 0.0 ypa

5.9% passing plays

< 5 yards downfield: none

5-15 yards downfield: none

16+ yards downfield: 0-1

Too soon for Hypesman talk?  Remember when we had a QB graveyard?!....

Starting in on the second half.  A couple points from the first drive.

First, HEY WE SCORED!!!  NICE!!!

Someone commented about Lee's problems throwing to the left.  I hadn't noticed that before but two passes he threw left were really bad.

Hit a couple slant/posts to the right.  Both throws were behind the receiver but close enough they could catch them.

I had noticed this a bit in the first half but it was REALLY bad on this drive: Conrad is getting worked in pass pro.

:wtf

How in the heck do we get away with this alignment?  3rd & 1 and we don't have anyone on the line between the Center's shoulder and a yard outside the tackle?  Somehow we actually managed to stop this.  I'll give credit to Carlos for clogging it up but it's really Freeman that screwed it up for Oregon by running straight ahead instead of where there is an obvious GAPING hole - especially knowing he only needed one yard for a first down.

Again, this isn't confusion.  Obviously everyone knew they were supposed to line up where they did.  But wow.  That's not a great way to have success stopping short yardage runs.  You can see the huge hole in the second pic.  Freeman just didn't ... somehow. 

eP3Ru0M.png

CdiOC99.png

• Plus1 1

A few things on this play.

Oregon took a page out of our defense's playbook and brought a DB on a blitz way to early and didn't adjust their coverage properly.  Great work by Lee to see it and get the pass away before the rush got there for the "easy" TD.  I have no idea why he still felt the need to play-fake to Wilbon instead of just throwing it.  It almost cost him but he got away with it.

Wilbon got some grief from the media on this play for missing the rush pickup.  And it's fair as that's something he's struggled with.  But this was a DT who came unblocked because Farmer and Farniok doubled the end leaving only Wilbon to pick up the DT.  Another protection fail by the right side.  Basic rule of protection is block inside out.  Farmer should have blocked the DT, Farniok the DE and Wilbon can help somewhere.  Wilbon had to come across Lee to get there so I wouldn't say that's all his fault.

eGgN3rt.png

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

The Graveyard was fun.

I was derided as not being a real Husker fan when I created the 'Mark Banker's Quarterback Valhalla' thread but we see how that turned out.

Unfortunately, what we've seen so far is too close to one of those and quite a ways from the other.

I had to go back and laugh.  And like you said, we are much closer to one than the other.

Cool stuff, Mav. It's good when people are able to go back thru the games to show why the team was successful or not.

I took a little time today to see what's going on with Lee, and why he struggled. It was more looking at his mechanics and stuff like that, because our 2 previous QB's were always hammered for having poor mechanics. If I can see simple things in watching the TV view, actual coaches should be able to pick up more in all-22 view. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

:wtf

How in the heck do we get away with this alignment?  3rd & 1 and we don't have anyone on the line between the Center's shoulder and a yard outside the tackle?  Somehow we actually managed to stop this.  I'll give credit to Carlos for clogging it up but it's really Freeman that screwed it up for Oregon by running straight ahead instead of where there is an obvious GAPING hole - especially knowing he only needed one yard for a first down.

Again, this isn't confusion.  Obviously everyone knew they were supposed to line up where they did.  But wow.  That's not a great way to have success stopping short yardage runs.  You can see the huge hole in the second pic.  Freeman just didn't ... somehow. 

eP3Ru0M.png

CdiOC99.png

Oddly, it appears we lined up to their left and were able to collapse the whole LOS.  Unsure where/who the containment was supposed to come from..  Great photos.  Nice to see the pre snap views.