Riley Got Contract Extension, Expected to get Another

Mavric

Nebraska football coach Mike Riley’s contract has been extended by one year through the 2020 season, and NU President Hank Bounds told The World-Herald on Monday evening “I believe we’ll do that again in December.”

“I have great confidence in Mike, to extend his contract to four years,” Bounds said. “I expect us to compete, and I have every confidence that we’ll extend it again in December.”

Bounds said the contract work sends a message.

“If you look across the landscape, contract lengths are all over the place — from three years to a much longer term,” he said. “It was prudent at this time, as a signal, to show to everyone our support of Mike.”

According to Bounds, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Ronnie Green requested a one-year extension for Riley “earlier in the year,” which Bounds approved.

OWH

• Plus1 1

The funniest thing is that it barely means anything. Virtually every FBS head coach is on a 4-5 year contract, or longer. It's just so coaches can tell recruits they'll be there for a kid's whole career. If a coach does get fired, their buyout is more. That's the only other difference.

To summarize: If you love Riley, it doesn't really mean he will be at Nebraska any longer. If you hate Riley, it doesn't really mean he will be at Nebraska any shorter.

• Plus1 7