RB Marcus Mendoza

On the radio they were talking that they could move this kid to cornerback. They also says he has good "football" speed, and that the 4.4 doesn't lie

I hope he is not moved to cornerback. Grixby is fast, but his size has always been a problem. At 5'8", he just will not match up to most receivers.

I doubt he goes to corner. In this class we already have 4 db's and Hagg could/should be moved as well. We will be stacked from now on at db. This was just a tough year for everyone.

Welcome Marcus!!!

Article on OWH about Marcus.

Houston running back chooses NU

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Marcus Mendoza was feeling the heat.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound running back at Spring Woods High School in Houston thought that he still had a few weeks to make a college decision.

Mendoza had already visited Texas Tech. He came to Nebraska in late September to watch the Huskers beat Kansas in overtime. Recruiting trips to Kansas State and TCU were still planned.

That all changed Monday morning with a visit from NU running backs coach Randy Jordan.

"He wanted to come in personally and give me the facts," Mendoza said. "They're winning a lot of games. They're getting a lot of recruiting attention. And they only had one running back spot left."

Now, the Huskers have no spots left for a running back. Mendoza, the No. 41 prospect in Texas as rated by rivals.com, pledged just hours after talking with Jordan to sign with Nebraska in February.

A conversation on Monday night with NU coach Bill Callahan finalized the oral commitment, the Huskers' 18th overall and seventh from a Texan for the class of 2007.

"If someone else would have taken that spot," Mendoza said, "probably for the rest of my life I would have had this big hole in my stomach."

As long as the Huskers keep their word about running backs, Mendoza will arrive in Lincoln next fall as one of three new scholarship players at his position. NU has also received pledges from speedy back Roy Helu, 5-11 and 205 pounds out of Danville, Calif., and 6-1, 235-pound Quentin Castille of La Porte, Texas.

Mendoza appears to fill the role of all-purpose back, the position at which he is rated seventh nationally by rivals.com.

He ran 100 meters on the track last spring at 10.64 seconds, he said, and the 200 in 21.6 seconds.

"I can do a lot of things," he said. "I can the run the ball and catch the ball. They'll send me out from the tailback position to catch passes and do a little bit of everything."

Mendoza said he was impressed with all aspects of the NU program during his official visit, hosted by freshman receiver Will Henry.

The running back just wanted a little time to think. By late Monday, after Jordan made a separate trip to talk it over with Mendoza's mother, the timing was right.

"It just felt right," Mendoza said. "I felt like this was something I needed to do."

• 3 weeks later...