What did we learn-Game 3 NIU

JJ Husker

Lee is really struggling and I'm doubtful that he is far enough along in his development to think he has any chance of turning it around.  He has very poor mobility and pocket awareness.  His progressions are slow and he seems oblivious to opposition linebackers in throwing lanes.  He routinely makes poor decisions; particularly when he is under pressure.  It takes a lot more than an arm to make a quarterback.

Wilbon has ball security issues.  He is a liability in pass protection.

Our receiving corp isn't very good.  Morgan is well-rounded, but his hands are sketchy.  Everyone else is inconsistent at best.  Reimers doesn't have the talent to play at this level.

The offensive line struggled to generate any push for the running game.  Pass protection was even worse.

The defensive stats look good for the day, but the defense didn't play well.  NIU consistently moved our defensive line.  Their RB was physical, but most of the yards he accrued were easy yards.  He didn't add much to what their offensive line gave him.  Our linebackers were slow to fill gaps and seem generally confused.  NIU's QB was rather poor, which made our pass defense look much better than it really was.

It's time to consider other options on punt returns.

The team looks poorly coached.  There is an excess of confusion and silly mistakes that certainly give the impression of a lack of preparedness.  I have difficulty seeing how this team can reach bowl eligibility.  Rutgers and Illinois are winnable games, but not guaranteed victories.  Minnesota and Purdue have looked really good so far this year.  This could be a really tough year for us.

31 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Uhh, yes.

Jets 

49ers

Browns

He would almost certainly start for any of these teams. With Enunwa out he would likely be the #1 WR for the Jets.

There's several more he'd definitely be in the race for.

Uhh, no.

Morgan is a nice WR.  But to say he is a NFL starter right now is asinine.  I mean he won't even big 1st team all B1G.

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, C-4 said:

AkSt. NIU was lucky to get this extremely unmotivated Husker squad that was infected with the flu. They were lucky to have their pick sixes (they required skill, but they were lucky for the opportunities because their offense was straight bad and not scoring more than once or twice). AkSt was legitimately a better team than us the night we played... and I felt like we played as well as we could have (aside from stubborn defensive schemes).

WHAT?!  Are you drunk?  How many excuses did you just vomit out???

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Uhh, no.

Morgan is a nice WR.  But to say he is a NFL starter right now is asinine.  I mean he won't even big 1st team all B1G.

Eh, agree to disagree.  I'm typically right with these controversial statements so we'll see.  If he leaves early don't be surprised if he starts day 1 is all I'm saying.

It's not like I expected anyone to agree with me, the point of my post was nobody else seems to see we have a transcendent talent on our hands.

26 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

WHAT?!  Are you drunk?  How many excuses did you just vomit out???

Excuses for? Look a couple posts above the one you quoted and you'll see I already stated this is the worst performance I've ever seen from us in all my years of watching. My point in the post you quoted is that it took this kind of performance and this tornado of bad luck for NIU to win by four late in the game. AkSt meanwhile flat out played better than us for 60 minutes.

I'm not blowing Nebraska rainbows at all, particularly about today, so what exactly is the point of your over-the-top heated post?

3 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Excuses for? Look a couple posts above the one you quoted and you'll see I already stated this is the worst performance I've ever seen from us in all my years of watching. My point in the post you quoted is that it took this kind of performance and this tornado of bad luck for NIU to win by four late in the game. AkSt meanwhile flat out played better than us for 60 minutes.

I'm not blowing Nebraska rainbows at all, particularly about today, so what exactly is the point of your over-the-top heated post?

not to nitpick but you only addressed one of his multiple questions- do you in fact know your BAC?

Just now, Whistlepig said:

actually other than pointing out some legitimate excuses which would sound kind of lame in the context of this meltdown....nothing, I was just wondering if you were in fact, drunk

I'm boring AF for a 24 year old... don't drink  (though I may make it a Saturday ritual).

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Game planning is terrible.  But otherwise, we just don't have football players.  We have athletes who play football.  And as long as we keep firing and hiring key coaching positions, we will never have football players.   

So would your suggestion be to keep the current coaching staff? 

The O looked good in spring and fall because they went against our D.  Conversely, the O was at times impressed by the D because they went against the OL.......

In practice, we really go average against average (maybe sometimes less than average).  I don't see either one of our units being better than any of the teams we will face and in reality, at least 5-6 will be better.Throw in a coaching staff that is clueless in basic football 101 and you get the product you see.  

I also learned I didn't like the hire then and like it even less now........(as I'm sure others feel as well)

• Plus1 4