This was Possibly a Great Day for Nebraska Football

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

He's taking it to new lows with Pelini's recruits.

He didn't get to recruit his first year.  He only got his 2nd.  In both his 2nd and 3rd years, he's recruited above the level Pelini did.  

You don't want to give him a chance to have HIS recruits play? 

To me, it's too early.  He should get next year to put it all together...even if this year is considered a bust.

Has he really recruited better than the last coach? Should it really take 4 or 5 years to see improvements? Good coaches don't need "their guys" to show program improvements. 

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, HuskerJax said:

No, because we weren't actually willing to pay top dollar before and that's why we ended up where we were. In 2014 our ad had his mind made up without even reaching out with an open pocket book. So really we don't know what a big check would bring 

This is all incredibly untrue.

In '03 we talked to Urban Meyer, Butch Davis, etc., they just were not interested.

In '07 we talked to Brian Kelly and Chris Peterson, among others. Were not interested.

In '14, we talked to Dan Mullen, Chris Peterson (again), and others. None were interested.

We have ALWAYS had the money to pay top dollar for a coaching staff. It's why boosters laughed at the idea of worrying about Pelini's buyout. Money isn't an issue in Lincoln. Never has been. Never will be.

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

He was hired on December 4, 2014.  You think he had tons of time to recruit for a February signing day?  If that's not enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

You could start by telling me more facts than just his hiring date.  

So no, saying he didn't have time to recruit his first year don't prove anything.

I don't count the 2015 class toward either coach.

8 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Dude, go and look it up if you don't know.  Stop being lazy.

I didn't think I needed to look it up because I thought it was self evident. 

The 2017 class avg and rank should be adjusted since it takes into account two 4 star guys that aren't even on campus anymore. It all looks about the same to me.

247 team rankings
  avg rank
2017 87.81 23
2016 86.86 26
2015 86.16 30
2014 84.95 35
2013 86.75 22
2012 87.91 32
2011 88.32 16
2010 87.29 26
10 hours ago, jaws said:

Has he really recruited better than the last coach? Should it really take 4 or 5 years to see improvements? Good coaches don't need "their guys" to show program improvements. 

Lol I always love this argument. Go could only win with Callahan’s recruits, Riley can’t win with Bo’s. It’s always an excuse somewhere. 

12 hours ago, jaws said:

They bring him up, sure, but they don't use Woody's fifth year as some sort of dumb measuring stick for Urban's fifth year. They didn't do it for Tressel either. I am just saying that it can be hard to coach in the shadow of someone like TO.

I live in Ohio, I agree.  The fans love the past, but don't keep looking to it for the next hire.  The problem with Husker fans is they want ties to the past.  Our program won't get any better until it learns how to be successful without going to the past.  That well has run dry.  The University needs real leadership regardless of where it comes from.  We haven't seen it in a long, long time.  Remember, Steve P. was hired in the recommendation of Coach Osborne.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, BigWillie said:

This is all incredibly untrue.

In '03 we talked to Urban Meyer, Butch Davis, etc., they just were not interested.

In '07 we talked to Brian Kelly and Chris Peterson, among others. Were not interested.

In '14, we talked to Dan Mullen, Chris Peterson (again), and others. None were interested.

We have ALWAYS had the money to pay top dollar for a coaching staff. It's why boosters laughed at the idea of worrying about Pelini's buyout. Money isn't an issue in Lincoln. Never has been. Never will be.

I never said we didn't have the money.  From what I have read about 2014, Riley was the only candidate that was ever considered (straight from the ginger assassins mouth). Is talking to someone the same as actually producing an offer?  Unless you have inside info that we actually offered these people large sums of money, it doesn't really matter if we talked to them or not.  I was saying we were not known for offering big money, and never have until recently with our assistants . Reaching out to someone is much different than producing an offer with figures attached. If I say to you, "hey you have any interest in coming to Nebraska?"  you say no and I move on to the next possible person it is a little different than if I say "I will pay you 8 million to come to this job".  

2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Mavric,

If I give you 20 minutes to finish a test that is supposed to take 80 minutes...will you do better than someone who was given 80?

If not, you need to stop arguing.  

It's FACT that Riley didn't have a full recruiting cycle.  It's fact that he kept most of Bo's class that was assembled together.

Thus, that cycle was not to the best of his ability and probably wasn't guys for his system as much as he'd like. 

What they hell are you arguing about?  Seriously?

So Riley has not done any recruiting that you can point to since his first two months on the job?

What has he done since that 20 minutes that is better?

On 9/16/2017 at 1:42 PM, Garry G said:

Hire bob stoops or another successful past coach as AD...then get a group of people together that have helped penn st, michigan, and a few other programs that rebouded quickly to help select a young energetic competitive coach.  

No way in hell Bob Stoops would take a job at Nebraska. 

He's retired (thankfully) and recently purchased another home in Chicago.

HE'S RETIRED and will in no way come out of that so soon after leaving Oklahoma. Perhaps 2-3 years from now he may be bored and consider a program, but it won't be a program that has fallen so far and is even farther away from any fruitful recruiting territory being in the B1G.

Better look elsewhere. You'd probably be better off looking for someone that understands your culture and situation. A NU ex perhaps.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:37 PM, returnnutoglory95 said:

We have to really decide if we want to compete or not. If we do, we will spend the money on a real coaching staff and get rid of the worst AD in the country. If not, it remains all smoke and mirrors. 

It's not that complicated where the real problems lie. It all comes from the Top.  Eichorst is a terrible leader and this is the result.

What's your next move, Nebraska?!

I have to come to the conclusion that you say a lot without saying anything at all

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I have to come to the conclusion that you say a lot without saying anything at all

Oh go read what I have written everywhere.  it's all true whether you care to believe it or not.  And what Lee and Sipple and Chatelain and Dodds and so on...they are speaking up with truths.  

And if you are all too blind or dumb to believe it, then that is your loss.  And if so and Bounds and Green are too, which they aren't , then they can hire some more schmucks to run Nebraska further in to the ground and we can become irrelevant for the rest of our lives.  And you can sit on these boards forever bitching.

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So Riley has not done any recruiting that you can point to since his first two months on the job?

What has he done since that 20 minutes that is better?

Personally, I think the trajectory has been more important than the execution. We're being considered by big fish and there are more and more recruits I'm excited about. 

The problem is, you can't go from 0 to 100. I was happy given Riley some transition space. I wasn't expecting anything amazing until 2019. However, he needs to be doing something with what he has and he's not. The same way there was no way we should've lost that 147 fumble game to Iowa State. 

It's the difference between renovating a building and blowing it up and starting over. Blowing up our building was never supposed to be on the table, and that's exactly what HCMR has done. It doesn't mean he can't build something great eventually. However, if you hired a contractor to renovate your house and he demolished it, you'd probably fire him even if he has potential to do great work.