If Riley is truly a nice guy...

5 hours ago, bnilhome said:

He will resign effective immediately.  At Oregon State there was no tradition and passionate fan base and it was acceptable for him to have pathetic output on the field.  Nebraska is different, and he should realize that by now, and graciously step down.  

No, it wasn't acceptable at OSU.  Fans wanted him fired three years before he resigned.  But OSU couldn't can him because of his contract and their lack of money to buy him out.  But they did put enough pressure on him. and NU came calling, that he finally left.  I don't think anybody will be calling him anytime soon.

What was at issue at OSU at the end of Riley's tenure?  He quit trying.  A lot of "oh golly gee whiz" and "shucks" while the losses piled up.  Sound familiar?

1 minute ago, southernoregonhusker said:

No, it wasn't acceptable at OSU.  Fans wanted him fired three years before he resigned.  But OSU couldn't can him because of his contract and their lack of money to buy him out.  But they did put enough pressure on him. and NU came calling, that he finally left.  I don't think anybody will be calling him anytime soon.

What was at issue at OSU at the end of Riley's tenure?  He quit trying.  A lot of "oh golly gee whiz" and "shucks" while the losses piled up.  Sound familiar?

Too familiar.  Dude might be super nice.  Saban might be a prick.  Guess who people would like at NU......Now Dabo is nice and a winner...

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

You want him to voluntarily forfeit millions of dollars?

Good luck with that.

Well the point of this post is a bit of sarcasm.  We always hear what a nice guy he is, and if he truly cared about the future of Nebraska football, he should step down.  I don't believe he will do this by any means.

Yeah, as much as I'd like to see that (for his sake), that isn't going to happen. Doesn't matter how nice of a guy it is, nobody is going to walk away from that kind of money. Unfortunately there is only one way for this to end and it's not pretty.

And it has nothing to do with how nice he is (which he is). It's called not being stupid.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Magnus said:

He's not that stupid.   There's no buyout if he resigns.   This 64-year-old gym teacher simply came here for a multimillion dollar retirement package.

I don't think so, I think he really did come here for that "last shot" I just think he is exactly what most of us fans thought he was going to be.  I think he is doing what he thinks is best I just think he is an average coach, at best.  

Like I said before.  His wife hates it here, she wants to move back and the writing is on the wall that this last stop is not working out like they (he) thought.  He very well might "retire" with a buyout at the end of the season.

Riley most certainly came here for one last shot, and to try it out with what Nebraska had to offer compared to Oregon State. I think his decision to leave Oregon State and take the Nebraska offer had to do a little with the pressure he was starting to get from OSU. But nonetheless, he did not come here to capture a nice paid retirement package. I think Riley's intentions were good, I think his intentions are good, he just simply isn't the answer at Nebraska.

This is a program that expects excellence and winning, whether or not these days that's a realistic expectation at Nebraska, it is what we expect and what this program was built on. So as a coach you have to accept these conditions and do what you can to achieve it. Year 3 and absolutely no progress has been made. You don't date someone for three years knowing you wont marry them when your ultimate end goal is finding that special someone for marriage.

Riley is an incredibly nice guy, as we were all told when he was hired. "He's a nice guy." That stands true and he is a 10000% better image of a coach for this program then Pelini was, but he doesn't win.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't think so, I think he really did come here for that "last shot" I just think he is exactly what most of us fans thought he was going to be.  I think he is doing what he thinks is best I just think he is an average coach, at best.  

Like I said before.  His wife hates it here, she wants to move back and the writing is on the wall that this last stop is not working out like they (he) thought.  He very well might "retire" with a buyout at the end of the season.

Correct

7 hours ago, bnilhome said:

He will resign effective immediately.  At Oregon State there was no tradition and passionate fan base and it was acceptable for him to have pathetic output on the field.  Nebraska is different, and he should realize that by now, and graciously step down.  

Agreed, When Riley came to NU and brought that bunch of loser coaches with him I came on this board and said that I think he's an a**hole. Yeah, he's a golly-gee- wilikers , ah shucks, folksy kinda guy to the media, boosters, and corporate types, but he came to Nebraska and stuck us with coaches that he knew were pathetic. Banker, Cavenaugh, and Langsdork is nothing more than a position coach....He insisted on trying to make players who were recruited to play the spread, play his pro-style system. Even now, how many consecutive quarters does a player have to prove that maybe he's not the right guy for the job before this "nice guy" decides to move in a different direction. But so far he's refused to make changes when needed; he's a stubborn a**. There can be a difference between someone's persona and reality. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Pedro Guerrero said:

Out of context?  You called him an a-hole and I thought that was weird.  So I quoted the part of your post that I thought was weird and said that it was weird.

Yeah, like I said it was out of context and that is lazy. So we can go back-and-forth with this if you want, but it's not going to change the fact that when you quote part of a sentence to prove some sort of point, you are being lazy. 

• Mavric locked this topic