Reality

I"ve been a big time sunshine pumper, for two reasons.  One, I'm a simpleton, love Husker football and am just generally an optimist.  I don't take a lot of "facts" into consideration.  Second, I've been the benefactor of a few second chances in my life and hate to judge too harshly or too quickly.

Having said that, it is clear to me this coaching staff doesn't seem to have what it takes.  I understand rebuilding, but I also see other teams that get new coaches and win right away.

So, with reality such as it is, what should we do?  Specifics please.

Do we fire now and if so,  who gets fired and who takes over for them?

If we do fire, who do we realistically think we can get.  Don't jump in with that nonsense of paying Saban or U Meyer to come here.  Be real.

By taking the firing route, what effect does that have on current player roster, and recruiting?  Again, specifics please.

Keeping in mind that we pretty much suck now from both a coaching and talent standpoint, how long do we give the "right" coaching staff to make things happen?  How long would the suck continue?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, grandpasknee said:

I"ve been a big time sunshine pumper, for two reasons.  One, I'm a simpleton, love Husker football and am just generally an optimist.  I don't take a lot of "facts" into consideration.  Second, I've been the benefactor of a few second chances in my life and hate to judge too harshly or too quickly.

Having said that, it is clear to me this coaching staff doesn't seem to have what it takes.  I understand rebuilding, but I also see other teams that get new coaches and win right away.

So, with reality such as it is, what should we do?  Specifics please.

Do we fire now and if so,  who gets fired and who takes over for them?

If we do fire, who do we realistically think we can get.  Don't jump in with that nonsense of paying Saban or U Meyer to come here.  Be real.

By taking the firing route, what effect does that have on current player roster, and recruiting?  Again, specifics please.

Keeping in mind that we pretty much suck now from both a coaching and talent standpoint, how long do we give the "right" coaching staff to make things happen?  How long would the suck continue?

Glad you are not on the sunshine anymore.  With that said, Eichorst needs fired right away.  That will give his replacement a couple of months to get in here and line up Riley's replacement.  I am fine with announcing Riley's firing in November, and who will replace him if it's known.  That is the best way to let recruits know there is hope for a better coach before they officially move to another program.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

The recruiting will take a big hit which is seemingly the last string this staff is hanging its hat on. To be fair, last years class looked on par with Pelini so not impressive. This year seemed to be the chance to break through but I can't see some of these guys sticking with a team that is showing no signs of life.

Let's assume for a moment that the decision makers were actually considering firing Riley (which is NEVER going to happen this year). To not do so for fear of the impact it would have on recruiting, would be tremendously short-sighted.

It would be missing the Forest for the Trees in an incredibly stupid capacity.

I think this squad will be fortunate to finish above .500 this year.  

We have played poorly against two teams that  we should have manhandled (ASU and NIU) and shot ourselves in the foot against Oregon.  I think we have some good players but we are not getting the most out of them.  Today, we saw the offensive line not getting the job done, missing blocks or not prepared for assignments against some defenses.  Today, they got beaten off the line for the most part and did not use their size to any real advantage. 

Receivers dropping balls that should have caught.  I QB that throws low and fast that can be knocked down.  We have some good running backs but an offense that does not seem to feature the run- more to set up the pass.  The ball carriers seem to hold the ball in the wrong hand too much.  The kick returners seem to not be well schooled in making decisions.

Langsdorf's play calling seems to be too habitual at times.

I don't like the 3-4 defense and probably never will.

I don't think the coaches are working on details of the game.   I worry that we will want the coaches fired and since Osborne's retirement, we seem to have an identity crisis with west coast, pro-style, 3-4 defense, option, etc.  It looks like we will become a school with a revolving door for coaches.

3 minutes ago, URSS said:

I think this squad will be fortunate to finish above .500 this year.  

We have played poorly against two teams that  we should have manhandled (ASU and NIU) and shot ourselves in the foot against Oregon.  I think we have some good players but we are not getting the most out of them.  Today, we saw the offensive line not getting the job done, missing blocks or not prepared for assignments against some defenses.  Today, they got beaten off the line for the most part and did not use their size to any real advantage. 

Receivers dropping balls that should have caught.  I QB that throws low and fast that can be knocked down.  We have some good running backs but an offense that does not seem to feature the run- more to set up the pass.  The ball carriers seem to hold the ball in the wrong hand too much.  The kick returners seem to not be well schooled in making decisions.

Langsdorf's play calling seems to be too habitual at times.

I don't like the 3-4 defense and probably never will.

I don't think the coaches are working on details of the game.   I worry that we will want the coaches fired and since Osborne's retirement, we seem to have an identity crisis with west coast, pro-style, 3-4 defense, option, etc.  It looks like we will become a school with a revolving door for coaches.

With respect to your last sentence, you may be right, but it seems a large number of posters on this board believe that one good hire will cure that.  I'm wondering who, when and how that transpires.

Nebraskans love smash mouth football.... it's what we do... or at least should be doing.   And for that we need a well taught offensive line... which we dont.  without an o-line, you can have the best west coast QB and he will look horrible, without an o-line the best running back will fail..  I thought the line would improve after cotton but cavanough has proven a bigger disappointment..  spend some money nebraska and get a REAL O-Line coach.

17 hours ago, spurs1990 said:

The recruiting will take a big hit which is seemingly the last string this staff is hanging its hat on. To be fair, last years class looked on par with Pelini so not impressive. This year seemed to be the chance to break through but I can't see some of these guys sticking with a team that is showing no signs of life.

I think the 2018 class is sinking and was before the craptastic season turned.....

A new coach with a clearly defined vision and system can change all that.  IMHO opinion, too many red  flags to come here, possible coaching changes aside.

ie CB moved to safety, safety moved to CB, OL no substitution, no chance for a QB to take over one who struggles, no commit to running game, incompetent clock management, HC, per press conference with no idea how to fix.  The list goes on and on.  I think that kids are seeing what fans see and that is this staff is incapable of getting to the next level....

Stepwise process. Eichorst has the be the first domino to fall. No coaching change will matter if he's picking the replacement. He doesn't know the school, the state, or understand the current game well enough to pick a suitable replacement. He cannot be allowed to use Riley as a sacrifice to keeep his job. At this point if he tried that I hope somebody could step in and stop him. 

After SE is gone you get your next coach. Then hope for the best. 

• Plus1 1

Greetings! Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Here's an extreme option. I think a lot of people are armchair athletic directors/university presidents who think their iron fist rule (i.e. Riley is fired after the BYU game) would work are delusional. That being said, I think I have an "extreme" option that would work on paper. So let's play a fun thought exercise and pretend I'm in control of what happens with NU:

1. Fire Eichorst.

Hire someone with a winning tradition as an interim. Who would that be? Ideally someone with Nebraska ties. I doubt Osborne would do it but he would obviously be #1. I've heard Trev Alberts's name thrown around and that might not be a bad idea. Either way, we need a proven winner ideally with Nebraska ties.

2. New AD comes in and fires Riley, Langsdorf, and Cav. 

These are the weakest links. I think that Diaco is the real deal and will prove himself by the end of the season. You can't be so quick to judge after 3 games. If you are so quick to judge, then you need to consider that his defense has given up 7 points in 6 quarters. On the flip side of letting these three go, you need to work on keeping both of the Williams, Parella, and Bray. Those 4 are legit, in my opinion.

3a. Hire a proven winner as interim head coach.

I would look no further than Les Miles as an interim HC. His priorities would be to win as many games as possible and maintain/improve the recruiting class. He as a vested interest in Nebraska's success (his son), he is a proven winner, and equally important he is a proven recruiter. I don't think I would hire him to be the full time HC, but he is the perfect candidate for interim HC.

3b. Diaco as interim head coach.

There are worse ideas. I think he is a winner and has bright future in CFB but I could be wrong. He is the best candidate on the current staff to be interim HC. His priorities would be the same obviously (win, recruit).

4. Open up the checkbook.

I grew in the late 80's and early 90's watching Osborne's teams dominate. There were a lot of considerable factors to that domination that most posters I see on various message boards don't seem to take into account (TV time, innovative strength/conditioning/nutrition, the best facilities, etc.). I honestly believe we cannot run the same system and be anywhere near dominant. What Nebraska needs to be is innovative. We were innovative in the 90's and we need to be again. How do you do that? Great CFB minds need to be here. My hire would be Chip Kelly. He ran a run-first offense at Oregon and could tailor that system to fit our recruits. His reputation is not that great when it comes to boosters, etc. so he will need coordinators who are. Give him the funds necessary to bring those coordinators in.

That would be my version of the extreme "fire everyone" now with as much detail as possible. I think that sets Nebraska up for success in the future and has us nearly immediately competitive.