Path to 5 wins?

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Who didn't think the Diaco hire was a strong move (national pundits included)?

I thought he would be an upgrade over banker...but i didn't understand why a lot of husker fans thought he was going to blitz the crap out of everyone. He had never done that at any previous job.

Just because he ran a 3-4 people thought that meant a bunch if sacks even though every article written about him said his defense was very conservative.

8 hours ago, Enhance said:

I remember when this thread was posted. It seemed obtuse to me then and it still does now.

Few people here were being outright MR apologists last season. They were just often holding onto a core value of fandom - optimism.

That's false, the rampant pro Riley propaganda was all over this board.  If you said anything negative someone will still have tried to spin time, facility, somehow blame Bo.  

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Does Riley have a path to 5 wins at Oregon State this year?

Spring Game - Win (1-0)

Ohio State - Loss (1-1)

Southern Utah - Win (2-1)

Nevada - Loss (2-2)

Arizona - Loss (2-3)

Arizona St. - Loss (2-4)

Washington St.- I'll just stop now.

Cal - 

Colorado-

USC- 

Stanford-

Washington-

Oregon-

We are paying him darned good money to coach them beavers, he better do better than that!

• Plus1 3
39 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I thought he would be an upgrade over banker...but i didn't understand why a lot of husker fans thought he was going to blitz the crap out of everyone. He had never done that at any previous job.

Just because he ran a 3-4 people thought that meant a bunch if sacks even though every article written about him said his defense was very conservative.

And maybe two players tops bought into what he was laying down.  The guy had zero chance from the beginning. I don't think Riley even knew who he was let alone wanted him on the staff.   I am not saying he wasn't a complete fraud just that even the dog's @ _s wont see daylight if all you do is keep him in the whoopin' shed.

I was in favor of firing Riley very early in the season, and I was quite vocal about it throughout the season.  I don't remember being attacked one single time.

"Fire the guy now" is about as negative as it can get without getting personal.  So I'm curious what opinions actually triggered attacks.

• Plus1 1

I was going to say something, then realized it was a post made mid-September, 2017.

Never liked the Riley hire, but did my best to support him.  And honestly, after the 9 wins in 2016, before the 2017 season started, I was actually thinking Riley might have figured it out so I was pretty optimistic about the 2018 season before it started.  Then we had a too close of a call against Arkansas State.  Okay, it was still a win and sometimes teams put up far more of a fight than their talent level or conference affiliation suggests.  But once we lost to Northern Illinois, that's when it hit me that Riley was the same pathetic loser he'd always been at Oregon State and he'd learned nothing.  Like the OP, I took quite a few lumps (on another board) for saying that Riley should have been fired immediately after the Northern Illinois loss.  Regarding Diaco, I figured the defense would struggle some...changing schemes is not easy and there are always "growing pains."  I was aware of his absurdly conservative approach, but didn't see the point of being negativs towards him before he even had a chance to field a defense.

But yeah...2017 was a real kick to the crotch. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I was going to say something, then realized it was a post made mid-September, 2017.

Never liked the Riley hire, but did my best to support him.  And honestly, after the 9 wins in 2016, before the 2017 season started, I was actually thinking Riley might have figured it out so I was pretty optimistic about the 2018 season before it started.  Then we had a too close of a call against Arkansas State.  Okay, it was still a win and sometimes teams put up far more of a fight than their talent level or conference affiliation suggests.  But once we lost to Northern Illinois, that's when it hit me that Riley was the same pathetic loser he'd always been at Oregon State and he'd learned nothing.  I figured the defense would struggle some...changing schemes is not easy and there are always "growing pains."

But yeah...2017 was a real kick to the crotch. 

Pretty much ditto on all of it, except that the 9 win season ended with a resounding THUD and i could see we were trending down.  After Ark st, i didn't think much of it - i never get too hung up on what the first game looks like for any team.  I thought, "we'll, that was ugly, but it was a quality team and the Huskers will get better".... bhahahahahahah.  What a fool i was.  

Then Oregon happened, and despite the fact that they did try and make a game of it, it was definitely a harbinger of things to come.

NIU loss was THE final straw for me on his tenure - up to that point, like you, i did my best to support a guy who I really didn't want leading my favorite team, but tried to make the best of it, waiting for the experiment to finally be over.

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Who didn't think the Diaco hire was a strong move (national pundits included)?

Do the national pundits ever think any coaching hire is not a good hire?  Everyone tried to convince themselves that Riley was a great hire as well.

That being said, I would have lost a lot of money betting no one could be worse than Banker.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, KingBlank said:

That's false, the rampant pro Riley propaganda was all over this board.  If you said anything negative someone will still have tried to spin time, facility, somehow blame Bo.  

True. Just wanted things to shake out in a good direction for our Huskers.