Impact of Poor Performance on Recruiting

I'm curious to hear everyone's take on how our poor start to the season will impact recruiting.  For as good as Riley and his staff are at generating interest in the program, they are just the opposite when it comes to on the field performance.  Year 3 of a program is when a new coach should have put his stamp on the program, and the current stamp of this program is quite ugly.  No amount of talent can overcome a coaching staff that does not have the team prepared or know how to win games, and if I were a prospective player, unless I am sold on the Nebraska fans and its rich history, I might have second thoughts on allowing this staff to coach me.  I am interested to hear what others think.  

• Plus1 1

As a player, I'd look at the current scheme and how they are using "my position". For example, if I'm a CB, I look at how they are used.  If I'm a 4-5* kid who like someone to play aggressively, play press and simply get physical, I'm probably loooking elsewhere.  Same with RB. As a fan, I have seen nothing the past 3 years that says Riley truly wants to be a running team.  I'm looking elsewhere.  If I'm an OL and Cav is the coach?  Forget about it.

Then you might have a kid like Micah Parsons who sees the ability to be a starter from day one.  Little to no competition to be a DE or OLB.....

I really think it come a down to fit.  Right now, I see a whole host of needs, but a staff that seems incapable of fixing them.  I think it ultimately will hurt us.  I.e. Bookie IMHO.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I think its a double edged sword.  It is a bad team right now but some of these kids have to be looking at this seeing major opportunities to play immediately.  So for Parsons and Bookie they are immediately playing as true freshman.  We have shown we'll play freshman.  

This is a good point chamrocck and usually I would agree with you.  In the case of Bookie and Parsons though, those guys are most likely going to play regardless of where they go.  Just for the sake of argument, after watching Clemson absolutely manhandle UL last night, if I were a big time defensive recruit, it would be hard to tell that place 'no'.  Absolutely, these guys want to play early and often, you have to think they want to be able to sniff championships if we don't have another angle to pull them in like location, relative was an alumni, unbelievable NFL pipeline or something to that effect.

9 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

This is a good point chamrocck and usually I would agree with you.  In the case of Bookie and Parsons though, those guys are most likely going to play regardless of where they go.  Just for the sake of argument, after watching Clemson absolutely manhandle UL last night, if I were a big time defensive recruit, it would be hard to tell that place 'no'.  Absolutely, these guys want to play early and often, you have to think they want to be able to sniff championships if we don't have another angle to pull them in like location, relative was an alumni, unbelievable NFL pipeline or something to that effect.

Early playing time still happens at CU. CU traveled 72 and played 70 to Louisville.

On 9/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

Prime example of impact on recruiting we had some good talent in town for the game. They saw us lose, fans boo the team and I have not heard any news or buzz from those kids

Then you haven't looked.  All the sites have stories published on kids that were there and had positive things to say.  

I wonder 93-97, and I don't want this to come across as snippy as it's going to, that's not the tone I'm intending - do you want them to have success in recruiting?  Seems like 90% of your posts are mostly how xyz recruit isn't coming for xyz reason.  Perhaps you're just a glass half empty guy?

7 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Then you haven't looked.  All the sites have stories published on kids that were there and had positive things to say.  

I wonder 93-97, and I don't want this to come across as snippy as it's going to, that's not the tone I'm intending - do you want them to have success in recruiting?  Seems like 90% of your posts are mostly how xyz recruit isn't coming for xyz reason.  Perhaps you're just a glass half empty guy?

In fact one said that we were his top school, another was listed as a commit watch by one of those published site authors, and another one we are seemingly sitting well with. To be fair, I can't say much to 93-97 because I was the first to say recruiting would take a big hit. It still could depending on these next games, but the recruits response was about as good as you could hope for coming out of this game.

• Plus1 3