Bo never should have been fired

6 hours ago, walksalone said:

Bo is like Saddam Hussein in this regards.  His release, like the invasion of Iraq, could have waitied.

Did Bo have the propensity to exhibit immense amounts of jackassery, absolutely.

But they could've waited to find a suitable replacement.  If somebody told me that I would have to wait a year or two to find someone that could take get us headed in the right direction, I think the Husker fan base at large would get behind that

Or in those two years he would've straightened it out....like not playing a safety with a broken foot at QB because of his great speed .....things like that. Getting rid of problem assistant coaches, even if your related....another one. I think Bo gets great effort and loyalty from his players when he isn't distracting them with his tantrums. I think it's important to "don't get mad, get even" until after the game is over....then they can hustle you off to a rubber room where you can rant and rave all you want. Many successful coaches have an explosive personality...Osborne is kind of a rarity.

8 hours ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

Yes, his personality seemed to be on tilt/meltdown the last 2 years but most of this could have been lessened with AD support.  He had holes (recruiting), but also had so many intangibles that you look for in a big-time coach that he maybe would have grown into something special here...he was young & inexperienced when he was hired.  He respected tradition & TO. I think he spiraled due to pressure primarily caused by OWH sports writers who seemed to love stirring up controversy & pushing Bo's buttons.  Ah well...all ancient history now.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1

Bo is clearly an elite Defensive coordinator.  His record has demonstrated this.  However, a head coach is the face of the program and more than a coordinator.  As such Bo was not right for Nebraska in the end.  

I would take him back just to run the D as a coordinator in a heartbeat.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

This is unreal! Bo deserved to be fired by the way he was representing the Huskers. SE made a safe move by hiring someone that was the complete opposite personality as Bo. It has turned into a dumpster fire now, unfortunately. I really hope this gets straightened out and fast!

I would take a coach any day who actually shows some fire and enthusiasm during games (Bo) compared to what we have now (Mike) that literally stands 20 feet way from everyone with his hands on his knees.  That's not coaching.  Bo wasn't perfect and I don't 100% disagree he needed to go but people are way to harsh on him.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Agreed

Pelini is not solely responsible for wearing out his welcome, though.  Now that Perlman is retired some things can happen to begin to right this ship.......

Yeah finally someone gets to the main culprit behind all this and that's  ... HARVEY PERLMAN.   It was Harvey who hired SE without any input from Osbourne.  He apparently couldn't get rid of ol Tom quick enough.  Look at every bad decision made at NU for the last couple of decade and you'll find ol Harv skulking around in the background.  "What's that Sean?  You want to hire a  0.500 coach?  Well ooookay. But its all on you hehehe."

They should rehire Perlman just to fire him properly instead of letting him slink off into the sunset.

33 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Bo is clearly an elite Defensive coordinator.  His record has demonstrated this.  However, a head coach is the face of the program and more than a coordinator.  As such Bo was not right for Nebraska in the end.  

I would take him back just to run the D as a coordinator in a heartbeat.

If we were still in the B12 I would agree.  Bo was coach long enough to see that his defense wasn't working in the B10.

Shouldn't we lock all threads started by trolls irregardless of the topic?  As fans we should be clear on what is or isn't tolerable.

8 hours ago, walksalone said:

Bo is like Saddam Hussein in this regards.  His release, like the invasion of Iraq, could have waitied.

Did Bo have the propensity to exhibit immense amounts of jackassery, absolutely.

But they could've waited to find a suitable replacement.  If somebody told me that I would have to wait a year or two to find someone that could take get us headed in the right direction, I think the Husker fan base at large would get behind that

the problem with that theory is the other theory that Perlman hired Eichorst specifically to get rid of Bo, and like Pedersen before him he had a very limited time to do that- in fact as you remember he wanted to do it the year before but some of the regents found out and put a stop to it-

point is Bo could have taken the 2015 team that went 5-7 (6-7) and could have gone back to the BIG championship game-if someone other than Perlman/ Eichorst  would have been in place and supportive of Bo and his players, recruiting would have been better, he could have paid for better coaches etc. Bo wouldn't tolerate or suffer fools, told people his true feelings, and had a temper on the sidelines which made him a meanie, so most fans got the vapors over that so here we are now........

9 hours ago, Wild Savage Beast said:

Bo won 67 games in 7 seasons... that seems pretty good to me for a guy in his first head coaching job who didn't even recruit that well.

How many seasons will Riley have to coach to obtain 67 wins?

If Mike Riley maintains the current win percentage and we continue to get bowl games it will take him until the third game of 2023 to equal Bo's amount of wins.

• Mavric locked this topic