Option

jbjake

Georgia Tech had Tennessee beat in week one this year, fumbled it away. Played them WAY better than we did. Navy is always a very tough opponent to deal with, not to mention Georgia southern beating Florida a few years ago with flexbone, didn't complete a single pass in the win.

The beauty of the option or offenses similar is the difficulty to prepare in for them in one week.  I do think something like a power spread option which marries some of TO's later ideas and what Oregon had been doing would have similar advantages but also allow for team speed on the field.

If only there was somebody who had ties to DONU that is running that exact offense some where in the middle part of Florida....

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I think its easy to defend with team speed.  I did like TO's rationale for it.  He said that on any pass play that three things can happen and two of them are bad.  There are parts of our current offense that I think resemble the option-like a hybred option.  Of course, we don't have the mobile QB to make it work.  

Mississippi State had plenty of team speed, gave up the orange bowl rushing record. Defending it requires very tough linebackers to take on a brutal dive play, and disciplined linemen to string it out. Most teams can't be fully prepared for everything Johnson throws at them

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Oh yeah, GT set the Orange Bowl rushing record in that win. The option is a viable offense with a real identity and would set our fanbase on fire with support and enthusiasm.

Ugh.  Looks like more of the same to me.

Georgia Tech

2008 9-4

2009 10-3* (had to vacate some of these victories)

2010 6-7

2011 8-5

2012 7-7

2013 7-6

2014 11-3

2015 3-9

2016 9-4

2 hours ago, jbjake said:

Watching schools like Georgia Tech, Army, Air Force and others that still focus on run-first option make me wish for the good old days of option football.  With all the spread offenses out there, the triple option is now novel.  Bring it back.  I want smash mouth.

I am with you 100%.  That's the kind of football I grew up watching and obviously Nebraska did very well with it for decades.  Funny how the replies above make fun of this post as if what we are doing now with Riley or even before with Bo was working so well???  I don't think we have to go back to the offense we had in the early 90's per say but would be nice to incorporate some of it and also have a QB who doesn't make like a statue when the o-line collapses and can run and scramble.

All this talk about what kind of offense we should run mostly misses the mark. What matters more is the coach, the system and the players to make it work.

It doesn't really matter that Nebraska has gone more pro style anymore than it matters that Bo Pelini went to a more run-based offense. Nebraska has had four different offenses in the last 20 years with a huge variety of styles. Each one has had some incredible challenges, particularly turnovers and underwhelming quarterback play.

Some of you may remember Nebraska still ran a heavy rush offense in the early 2000's. In 2002, the team had 7 losses where they scored 7, 14, 21, 24, 13, 13 and 23. Why, because the system and the talent had started to wane. Husker fans were whining in the 90s that we needed to go throw the ball more and I remember hearing people we should have a more modern offense.

• Plus1 2

You do not want the Paul Johnson offense.  Do not compare it to the old Husker TO offense.  If you do, you are just showing your own lack of football knowledge.  There is no way TO would have ever committed to what Paul Johnson is running.  

TO's offense was power running out of the I formation and other formations, featuring the option, and effective play actiin passing.  

Paul Johnsons offense is a double wing offense featuring no diverse formations.  The defense sees the same plays and formation all game long.

You might as well just take at least two of the NC years off the stadium wall if NU was committed to that under TO.