The financial implications of a failed football program

KU was a basket case football program at the elite basketball school.  That is why you don't hire someone with NO H.C.experience.   He had enough resume that he should have been considered.  He only gets that consideration because of his long NU connections and inside knowledge and respect.  He also can run an offense that Husker fans would like.   The 'fun and gun' etc is just not going to popular although it would eventually grow on fans provided there were enough wins in the early years.  

I thought fans would be more patient with Riley and he'd get about 7 years or so to really turn things up several notches but if this season goes at it now appears (maybe only 1 or 2 wins), then he is done.   The next hire needs to be the last one for about 15 years.  It took Tom Osborne about 22 years to finally win a title after lots of 9 and 10 win seasons with tough losses in the bowls and to OU.  Our present conference slate is as tough an annual schedule as can be imagined and is tougher than any T.O. ever had to manage.  To win it all, you are going to need about 80 of the 85 scholarships going to players better than ANY we presently have.   That will take incredible recruiting and lots of fan patience while we reload with elite, tough talent.

The magic that was Nebraska football is gone,  has been for a long time.  Bringing in old players is not the answer to the problem.  Nebraska is still a top level school that can attract great coaches but they need to fit in with the university and the state.  We need to get back to the basics of football and the fundamentals that win games.  Nebraska has no identity on a national level like we did in the glory years. We need a young, up and coming coach that will bring back some stability to the program and be around for an extended period of time.  The manner in which the administration got rid of Solich began the unstably and has affected the football program sense.  We need to hire a proven winner and support that coach for years.  Being back the magic that was once Nebraska football is going to take the right coach and support from the university and the whole state of Nebraska. 

Doctor Tom had zero head coaching experience when he was hired. He only went on to become one of the greatest all time coaches in college football. 

Below is the Bobfather's record at Wyoming. Not exactly stellar. He got hired because Duffy Daugherty recommended him to the AD. 

Callahan had a great resume. NFL winner and he coached in the Super Bowl.

Way too many here expect a big name and a magic pill to fix things. Not happening. Cornhuskers need to get back to basics and tradition.

Wyoming 4–3–3 3–2–2 4th      
1958 Wyoming 8–3 6–1 1st Sun    
1959 Wyoming 9–1 7–0 1st     16
1960 Wyoming 8–2 6–1 T–1st      
1961 Wyoming 6–1–2 5–0–1 T–1st   17  
Wyoming: 35–10–5 27–4–3

10 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I loved watching both play but I believe Gill has a much nicer personality.

Ladies and gentlemen, Shawn Eichorst has officially joined HuskerBoard.

And while KU football ain't the greatest job on Earth, as much as anything Turner failed there because the nice guy never really took control of his team. Frankly, we'd probably see that repeated here.

10 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

I paid $9 for a beer and $20 to park yesterday. I have never paid such high prices in Lincoln.  

A failed  football program has enormous financial implications throughout the whole state and for years if this continues.

USA Today reported a few years back that UNL athletics had revenue of $101m and expenses of $98m; top numbers for the NCAA and one of the few programs that shows a profit. With more conference revenue and the new Adidas deal, the gross revenue today probably approaches $150 million.

The top AD staffers and coaches (all sports) probably take 15% of the gross. What the AD knows is that probably about 10-15% of that revenue is in immediate jeopardy if this continues. Although Riley is paid $2m plus, terminating him this season would be a bargain. 

Turner Gill is the solution. He is winning at Liberty. Liberty beat Baylor. Baylor is better than NIU. Turner's time at Kansas can't be held against him. Nick Saban couldn't win at Kansas.

Turmer, of course, has a direct connection to the Glory Days and Dr. Tom. If he can recruit and win at Liberty, then surely he can win at Nebraska. 

Paying Turner $3m would be appropriate if he can turn the program around.

If not Turner, then Joe Mogilia at Coastal Carolina. He could work for the bargain rate of $1 million. 

One comment to me by a fan yesterday was that he was afraid that the NIU loss looks like the new normal. That, my friends, is a serious danger. Why should I drive miles to Lincoln and sit in the cold when I can stay at my home on the Rez and watch them lose without all of that time and expense?

The saddest thing about yesterday is that it looks like the basketball team is better than the football team. How could we have sunk so low? 

Footnote: Per SCOTUS, Pender is on the Indian reservation although we thought otherwise for decades.

I could not knowledgeabably recommend any coach however your reasoning is flawed about your coaching recommendations. How come you point out how rich the athletic department is and then list Mogilia as a bargain? Do you think we should care about how much the next coach will cost? Personally, i feel we can also afford better than Gill