Is he a "Take" ?

I'm so f'ing sick of this comment, true or not true.

here is why:

We get solid recruits interested to the point they want to commit and we tell them to hold off (supposedly)

We have people higher on our board and go all in on them, miss on them and then the guy from

before isn't interested anymore, then we are short on numbers in each class at positions. WTF.

Just start letting guys you want commit and figure it out later.

• Plus1 2

I've said for years - long before Nebraska started doing it - that "uncommitable offers" are stupid.  If the recruit can't accept the offer, it's not an offer.  Period.  There is no point in saying they have an offer if you don't want them that badly.

So, with that said, I think if you offer a guy he should be a take.  But I think we have "offers" out there now that don't qualify.

The system has to be the way it is. 

Here is the other option let's say you are taking 2 OLB and you have 3 guys that you would consider "A" options and you don't offer anybody else.  Your fourth thru 10th options (plan "B" guys -  no longer take NU as a serious option and they go elsewhere.  you find out that a week before signing day you are only getting 1 of your 3 plan "A" options.  So you go out the week before the deadline and throw out an offer to a plan "C" and your fan base blows up saying that you should have offered earlier.

So next year you offer all your A / B / C guys and 2 "C" guys jump on the dream option of playing at NU.  Three weeks later you find out that a couple of the "A" plan guys wished you had a spot.  Fans bitch about having the 50th ranked recruiting class.  

I guess you could always pull a Michigan and tell the guys you have changed your mind and they weren't really worthy of the scholarship - doesn't seem very Midwestern like.....

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

The system has to be the way it is. 

Here is the other option let's say you are taking 2 OLB and you have 3 guys that you would consider "A" options and you don't offer anybody else.  Your fourth thru 10th options (plan "B" guys -  no longer take NU as a serious option and they go elsewhere.  you find out that a week before signing day you are only getting 1 of your 3 plan "A" options.  So you go out the week before the deadline and throw out an offer to a plan "C" and your fan base blows up saying that you should have offered earlier.

So next year you offer all your A / B / C guys and 2 "C" guys jump on the dream option of playing at NU.  Three weeks later you find out that a couple of the "A" plan guys wished you had a spot.  Fans bitch about having the 50th ranked recruiting class.  

I guess you could always pull a Michigan and tell the guys you have changed your mind and they weren't really worthy of the scholarship - doesn't seem very Midwestern like.....

The real world isn't nearly as binary as this fiction you made up.

First of all, you don't only offer 2 guys for three spots.  You offer probably 5 or 6 depending on the position.

Second, you're going to have a lot more offers out than that at Nebraska because you're going to at least take a swing at a lot of big name guys who you have less than a 5% chance of landing but that's better than 0% if you don't try.

Third, there is SIGNIFICANT ground between "we're recruiting this guys as hard as we can" and "we're not even going to talk to this guy because he's not our top pick." 

"Offers" are meaningless anyway.  You can't even "officially offer" a kid until the fall of his senior.  Even then, it doesn't really matter if you don't send them a LOI to sign.

With recruiting accelerated as it has your going to have kids that you back off of. There are 8th graders receiving offers now. I do think allot of these offers go out to gauge a recruits interest. On the top tier especially... Josh Moore has what... 50+ offers. 

I get what Matty's saying. If you offer and spend the money to have a recruit visit on University dollars...you take the kid. Exception being a kid that don't fit our culture on his visit. Then you tell him to kick rocks. 

What's the average for a 3 person flight from LA? 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

The real world isn't nearly as binary as this fiction you made up.

First of all, you don't only offer 2 guys for three spots.  You offer probably 5 or 6 depending on the position.

Second, you're going to have a lot more offers out than that at Nebraska because you're going to at least take a swing at a lot of big name guys who you have less than a 5% chance of landing but that's better than 0% if you don't try.

Third, there is SIGNIFICANT ground between "we're recruiting this guys as hard as we can" and "we're not even going to talk to this guy because he's not our top pick." 

"Offers" are meaningless anyway.  You can't even "officially offer" a kid until the fall of his senior.  Even then, it doesn't really matter if you don't send them a LOI to sign.

Mav

Too much to drink today? Reading skills diminishing? Poor eye-site? not sure which but I stated that we were after 2 guys and offered 3 which is about the same ratio as you stating that we offer 5/6 for 3.  If you are going to attack a post maybe try not to state the exact same thing - it has a reverse effect.

Secondly that is my point you want to swing for the top guys and if you get them that is great - however you can't take 5 commits for one spot otherwise you have issues (holes in depth) down the road at other positions.

We offered more than 3

David Alston

Micah Parsons

Bo Calvert 

Jalen Redmond

Cameron Latu

Cameron Mcgrone

Zakoby McClain

Joseph Osai

Raymond Scott

Reggie Hughes

Elijah Wade

Teradja Mitchell

Eric Gilyard

Adrian Jackson

Solomon Tuliaupupu

Byron Hobbs

Grayson Mann

Osa Masina

Omari Harris

Justin Ademilola

Christopher Oats

Kolin Demens

Edited by MinnwiscowaSker
minor edits after cell phone autocorrect
  • Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Mav

Too much to drink today? Reading skills diminishing? Poor eye-site? not sure which but I stated that we were after 2 guys and offered 3 which is about the same ratio as you stating that we offer 5/6 for 3.  If you are going to attack a post maybe try not to state the exact same thing - it has a reverse effect.

Secondly that is my point you want to swing for the top guys and if you get them that is great - however you can't take 5 commits for one spot otherwise you have issues (holes in depth) down the road at other positions.

6xgslyYQCyLa8.gif

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Mav

Ironically enough, after all the jabs at me you're the one who is struggling with reading comprehension.

Had you actually read my post you would have seen that I said offer two guys for three spots, which obviously makes no sense.  That's because it was a typo and I meant to say three guys for two spots - same as you.  So the 5 or 6 number would be twice that.