Husker Chalk Talk - Concept Wednesday: The Jet Sweep

Cdog923

In theory, this strategy should be a powerful tool in Nebraska's offense, but the article correctly points out that Nebraska has struggled to consistently execute it. It's basically a microcosm of the entire offense at the moment. 'Here's how something should work and here's why it isn't.'

It's also tough for me to forget that DPE almost fumbled the first jet sweep of the season. If that wasn't foreshadowing...

Another good write up by this guy.

It all comes back to the O line.  The clip in his article showing the RB screen is typical of how we have seen horrible O line play drastically affect how the offense has been able to perform.  That has GOT to be fixed.  I find it interesting that the author keys on the center position.  Piss poor communication on the line has clearly been a big factor.  If the Center isn't getting the calls right from the start, it affects everyone else.

That said.....every time I see this play, I want to throw up thinking about Wisconsin running this against us for 637 yards and 13 TDs in one game.

Clearly our defensive coaches at the time had no clue about what the author is discussing here.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It all comes back to the O line.  The clip in his article showing the RB screen is typical of how we have seen horrible O line play drastically affect how the offense has been able to perform.  That has GOT to be fixed.  I find it interesting that the author keys on the center position.  Piss poor communication on the line has clearly been a big factor.  If the Center isn't getting the calls right from the start, it affects everyone else.

That said.....every time I see this play, I want to throw up thinking about Wisconsin running this against us for 637 yards and 13 TDs in one game.

Clearly our defensive coaches at the time had no clue about what the author is discussing here.

Yup, and it's not OL raw talent that's the problem. Was listening to the 247 podcast last night while running and they pointed out that our starting OL is all 4* (by at least one service) except Cole Conrad.

Years ago, there was a lot of write ups about how our O line communicated.  I'm assuming with all the changes in offensive systems, that system has changed somewhat.  It's clear that however it's supposed to work....it isn't.

I would love to see Decker get a start and see if the communication works better.  

I stand by a statement I made earlier in the week.  We are not lacking physical talent on the line.  BUT....whatever they think they are supposed to be doing....isn't working.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Tre Bryant doesn't get enough credit. I didn't hear as much complaining about the running game the first 2 weeks 

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Tre Bryant 31 192 6.2 1

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Tre Bryant 20 107 5.3 1 25

There wasn't much complaining because we were running a competent game plan.  We were running counters and pulling guys.

Against NIll we went into a shell and would only run straight ahead out of two- or three-TE sets where the defense could stack the box.  Never pulled anyone.

I like Bryant and he played well.  He's our best all-around back.  But I don't think he's any better running the ball than Wilbon.  He was just getting better opportunities.

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was kind of hoping someone would catch the tags for this thread. 

• Plus1 1