Two things to avoid now

Hans Gruber

I think firing Eichorst was the right step, but that's the first step of many. The rest of the steps are just as important as the first. Here are two things to avoid in those steps.

1) Avoid Les Miles like the plague. He's 63 and will bring most of the same problems Riley has. Sure he may be "better" than Riley but that's like being the thinnest kid at fat camp. Nebraska should strive for higher standards. Remember that Purdue and Minnesota had no interest in hiring Les.

2) Don't just decide to hire Trev Alberts. Please do an actual search for an AD. If Trev has a great interview, a great vision for the future, and has a plan to achieve that vision, then you can hire him. But don't just hire him because he played for Nebraska and is in state. Try to hire the best of the best.

• Plus1 7

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

I think firing Eichorst was the right step, but that's the first step of many. The rest of the steps are just as important as the first. Here are two things to avoid in those steps.

1) Avoid Les Miles like the plague. He's 63 and will bring most of the same problems Riley has. Sure he may be "better" than Riley but that's like being the thinnest kid at fat camp. Nebraska should strive for higher standards. Remember that Purdue and Minnesota had no interest in hiring Les.

2) Don't just decide to hire Trev Alberts. Please do an actual search for an AD. If Trev has a great interview, a great vision for the future, and has a plan to achieve that vision, then you can hire him. But don't just hire him because he played for Nebraska and is in state. Try to hire the best of the best.

1) Riley hasn't been fired.

• Plus1 1

We have new guys at the top.  I think they meant what they said in the press conference.  I expect them to open up the wallet and bring in the very best available Ad who they will expect to bring in the very best available HCs. Enough of the half measures. Time to compete at the highest levels. 

21 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

1) Riley hasn't been fired.

Fine, if you want to pretend he won't be, then that's your prerogative. The writing is on the wall though. If he can't beat NIU, how's he going to get to 7 or 8 wins?

Even if he does somehow do that, next season is the coach-killing schedule anyways. 

• Plus1 3

I don't really care about Nebraska ties anymore.  Things had changed since the 90's.  Our strength and conditioning in the 90's and earlier were so above and beyond the rest of the country we could take Nebraska farm boys and turn them into blocking powerhouses.  It's different now.  Nebraska ties would be a small cherry no top.  I want a proven coach, and I want to shell out an insane amount of money for him.  I want a proven winner.  I know people LOVE to think about Frost, but we need consistency and a proven record.  Scott hasn't had a chance to prove those things yet, not because he is incapable, but because he hasn't had enough time.

I feel so much better today.

• Plus1 5
4 minutes ago, epocSoN said:

I don't really care about Nebraska ties anymore.  Things had changed since the 90's.  Our strength and conditioning in the 90's and earlier were so above and beyond the rest of the country we could take Nebraska farm boys and turn them into blocking powerhouses.  It's different now.  Nebraska ties would be a small cherry no top.  I want a proven coach, and I want to shell out an insane amount of money for him.  I want a proven winner.  I know people LOVE to think about Frost, but we need consistency and a proven record.  Scott hasn't had a chance to prove those things yet, not because he is incapable, but because he hasn't had enough time.

I feel so much better today.

I agree with all of this.

I'd love Nebraska guys at the helm.  IF they are the best qualified.  As it relates to a POSSIBLE new HC.  Get one who understands the culture of NU.  One who has or been a part of a definitive and clear cut scheme.  One that DEMANDS accountability from his players and staff....

It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out in the coming weeks.  

A tell, IMO, will be do the kids come out playing like they are on fire to try and "save" Riley or do they continue the same level of play we have witnessed.  Not that this would be a declaration on their opinion of firing/keeping, but more indicative of being ambivalent.... 

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

1. 6-3 min in BIG in 2015

2.   a better record next yr, then 2015------that could be tuff; but that is the way u build a program.

3.  be in contention for the west title, on the last weekend.

4.  national playoffs are tuff!   I haven't an opinion on that!

Are we going backward in time?  Do you mean 2018?

• Plus1 1