schadenfreude

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

No don't go

Cracked me up.  Thanks.

Re OP:  Most people are happy because this could improve the program's fortunes rather than because someone lost their job.  People drudging up anything negative on Eichorst fuels the thought that things will be much better with a new AD.  At least I tell myself that.

I don't understand all the anger and hate directed at Eichhorst and Riley, on a personal level.  I am very, very unhappy with the results on the field and basketball court and baseball diamond.  It truly seems the coaches and the AD have failed in their job.  I support changes when the University leadership decides a change needs to be made.  I understand that.  I can't figure out why so many posters seem to spew personal hate directed at the individuals.  A lot of it seems to come from the fact that the AD and coaches make a lot of money, and per contracts (which are standard in their field of work) they get paid that money even if they fail.  I have to wonder if these folks are truly angry at the coach and / or AD, or if they hate their own work / salary status and mask that by lashing out.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, grandpasknee said:

I don't understand all the anger and hate directed at Eichhorst and Riley, on a personal level.  I am very, very unhappy with the results on the field and basketball court and baseball diamond.  It truly seems the coaches and the AD have failed in their job.  I support changes when the University leadership decides a change needs to be made.  I understand that.  I can't figure out why so many posters seem to spew personal hate directed at the individuals.  A lot of it seems to come from the fact that the AD and coaches make a lot of money, and per contracts (which are standard in their field of work) they get paid that money even if they fail.  I have to wonder if these folks are truly angry at the coach and / or AD, or if they hate their own work / salary status and mask that by lashing out.

I don't understand it either. Some of the same people who call themselves 'fans' are quick to damage the current program when they feel there is opportunity to do so. The level of attacks and sheer volume from some almost makes you wonder if they are getting paid by somebody to be a troll.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

I was admonished on this board for using sesquipedalian  words and you meretriciously throw out a post with an ostentatious German word like schadenfreude? 

Lolol, I like your style. This might be a word that 99.5% of huskerboard had to look up. 

OP - how's the view from up there? 

• Plus1 1

Heard something late this afternoon from someone I know who worked in the athletic dept years ago and still has "contacts".  There is some play that Eichhorst knew he was on the chopping block after the Black Friday fiasco.  He was intending to fire Riley and name Diaco interim head coach to save his bacon.  Greene, et.al. got wind of it and took swift and definite action to stop that from happening.  Interesting twist, but just "friend of a friend" info for now.  If true, that is pretty crappy on SE's part.

51 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Heard something late this afternoon from someone I know who worked in the athletic dept years ago and still has "contacts".  There is some play that Eichhorst knew he was on the chopping block after the Black Friday fiasco.  He was intending to fire Riley and name Diaco interim head coach to save his bacon.  Greene, et.al. got wind of it and took swift and definite action to stop that from happening.  Interesting twist, but just "friend of a friend" info for now.  If true, that is pretty crappy on SE's part.

Who knows if that is true and yeah it is crappy but honestly most of us would do what we had to do to save our own bacon.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, huskerfan120889 said:

Lolol, I like your style. This might be a word that 99.5% of huskerboard had to look up. 

OP - how's the view from up there? 

thanks for being a contrarian to the huskerboard herd, I hope it doesn't soil your standing as a board plebeian if you actually care about such things- 

Obviously I get a lot of cacophonous palaver for using words that "might" make someone look up the meanings- 

8 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

Like everything in life, at the end of the day it's all business. Definitely puts an interesting twist on things, would people have been ok with this? I'm not sure how I would've felt- isn't there a guy on there that is a uconn alum and talked about how poor of a hc Diaco was? 

For everyone saying that people are taking joy out of his firing, I really doubt people are getting pleasure out of his firing because they hate him. Who knows, maybe they do have some sort of personal disdain for the guy (Josh Mitchell) but I highly doubt it's due to jealous it's probably more due to the fact that they (and I'm in this group) believe this is a necessary evil to right the ship. Sort of like when investors become activists because management of a company isn't doing what they need to in order to create and realize value. Doubt it's super personal, but I could be wrong. Also, who wouldn't be jealous of a $1.7MM salary to sit at home with the kids? That's a lot of fun coupons.