Blinders for hometown candidates?

I see a lot of preference for home grown AD/HC candidates. I am not against an Alberts/Frost duo and I get it.  What better way to bring back success than via someone who not only has achieved it, but someone who has done it here!

However, the notion that since former players understand Nebraska they will magically bring back the glory years makes me wonder.  It is not as if they will come in and show tape of 1995 and all of sudden everyone will collectively stand up, throw their hands in the air and say, " Now I get it. You want us to be really good, have pride and win all of our games!"  

Nebraska's toughest recruiting challenges are bringing out-of-state kids into Lincoln. Other schools need to effectively use the state pride card to influence local talent to stay home.  Tugging at the heart strings of kids from California, Florida, Ohio or Michigan by showing them past success that was attributed when high school talent represented their home state makes sense.  Having a coach in a living room that was a player for the local university has influence there.  Telling the same kids about Nebraska pride won't mean a thing.  It is a different sales pitch (like it or not that is what it is).  

Can we afford another swing and miss?  The game has changed since the 90's, we all know that.  The number of schools offering a scholarship to play football has drastically changed in 30 years.  Kids who would walk-on for TO are now getting a scholarship someplace else.  There is no conference loyalty, everyone is on TV and social media is more important than the primetime game.  Teams that were not even Division 1 football programs years ago now have practice and training facilities as nice as any other in the nation.  Things have changed.  Coach Osbourne was a man of tradition, but he was also an innovator.  You can't run fast looking behind you.

When the legend Bear Bryant left Alabama, they thought a "Bama guy" had to replace him.  They brought in former player Ray Perkins.   They tried another "Bryant guy" in Gene Stallings who played for the Bear at A&M (one of the famous Junction Boys) and later as an assistant coach in Tuscaloosa. Then they hired Mike DuBose who had played there.  They also gave alumnus Mike Shula a try.  Then they hired Nick Saban.  Now many say the Bear was their second best coach of all time.  Saban is a West Virginia kid who has player and coaching roots largely in Ohio.

While we root for the hometown guys, how much does that factor take precedence?  Will this be a true nationwide search or does in-state influence demand if the next guy fails, at least it was one of ours?  I do hope the search for both positions is not unnecessarily quick, based on emotions or feelings of nostalgia.  As a professional, putting your best foot forward often necessitates that you put those things aside. 

• Plus1 5

I think everyone just wants what's best for the "progrum".  If the home grown guys have the right resumes, that's just the cherry on top.   I personally just want guys who know how to be successful at their crafts.  That "winning" attitude is contagious.  The last round, we got two guys who were just dodging bullets from Miami and Oregon.  Seems like they were running away from their situations and saw Nebraska as a cushy landing spot.  

I want people who are running TOWARDS Nebraska.

2 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I see a lot of preference for home grown AD/HC candidates. I am not against an Alberts/Frost duo and I get it.  What better way to bring back success than via someone who not only has achieved it, but someone who has done it here!

However, the notion that since former players understand Nebraska they will magically bring back the glory years makes me wonder.  It is not as if they will come in and show tape of 1995 and all of sudden everyone will collectively stand up, throw their hands in the air and say, " Now I get it. You want us to be really good, have pride and win all of ours games!"  

Nebraska's toughest recruiting challenges are bringing out-of-state kids into Lincoln. Other schools need to effectively use the state pride card to influence local talent to stay home.  Tugging at the heart strings of kids from California, Florida, Ohio or Michigan by showing them past success that was attributed when high school talent represented their home state makes sense.  Having a coach in a living room that was a player for the local university has influence there.  Telling the same kids about Nebraska pride won't mean a thing.  It is a different sales pitch (like it or not that is what it is).  

Can we afford another swing and miss?  The game has changed since the 90's, we all know that.  The number of schools offering a scholarship to play football has drastically changed in 30 years.  Kids who would walk-on for TO are now getting a scholarship someplace else.  There is no conference loyalty, everyone is on TV and social media is more important than the primetime game.  Teams that were not even Division 1 football programs years ago now have practice and training facilities as nice as any other in the nation.  Things have changed.  Coach Osbourne was a man of tradition, but he was also an innovator.  You can't run fast looking behind you.

When the legend Bear Bryant left Alabama, they thought a "Bama guy" had to replace him.  They brought in former player Ray Perkins.   They tried another "Bryant guy" in Gene Stallings who played for the Bear at A&M (one of the famous Junction Boys) and later as an assistant coach in Tuscaloosa. Then they hired Mike DuBose who had played there.  They also gave alumnus Mike Shula a try.  Then they hired Nick Saban.  Now many say the Bear was their second best coach of all time.  Saban is a West Virginia kid who has player and coaching roots largely in Ohio.

While we root for the hometown guys, how much does that factor take precedence?  Will this be a true nationwide search or does in-state influence demand if the next guy fails, at least it was one of ours?  I do hope the search for both positions is not unnecessarily quick, based on emotions or feelings of nostalgia.  As a professional, putting your best foot forward often necessitates that you put those things aside. 

Well said - thank you for putting out some examples that people can (hopefully) relate to.

• Plus1 2

Trev seems to be a good administrator with a track record of making tough choices.  Although if you ask die-hard UNO fans you'll  get a different story with the handling of the Football and Wrestling teams being canceled via text message IIRC.  I still think he'd bring in quality people and be level heading and even-handed.  Obviously, his pedigree will play well with boosters.

As for coaching, no, you scratched the surface on that.  Dabo, Jimbo, Saben, none have any previous tie to their current posts.  Meyer is an Ohio kid but didn't play at tOSU (he got his grad degree there).  A good coach is just that, while some fit better in places, I have no doubt that any of the top 5-6 coaches in the country would have success at pretty much any P5 school

ETA:  Remember Frost didn't have the smoothest time here.  He was widely seen as a traitor for going to Stanford, then returning hat in hand once TO got things rolling.  I remember he was booed off the field.  He is unproven in the big seat, while I'd like to see a native son come back and get things rolling.

• Plus1 1

When Riley was hired and brought over almost his entire coaching staff with him from OSU and started wearing the Husker "N" on his hats and shirts, it just didn't feel right.  They had no connection to Nebraska but suddenly were Huskers?  Maybe no one else feels this way, but for me, I want someone leading the team or even the athletic department that has ties to the state.  They either grew up here or played for the Huskers and understand the traditions.  I live in Arizona and every time someone stops me because I have my Nebraska hat on, you have this immediate connection and common ground.  "Hey, you from Nebraska?"  "Yeah, I grew up there."  And a conversation forms.  I don't believe Alberts/Frost are definitely better than other AD/Coach combos out there but I do know that I will root for them harder, show more patience and just have a level of confidence that their decisions are in line with the culture and roots of the Big Red which I believe will translate to wins on the field.

The Nebraska tradition that matters most to fans is winning. There are plenty of ways to do that and plenty of people who can make it happen.

If we in any way consider 'Nebraska ties' as a significant contributing factor to this position, we are increasing our risk of failure. But, hey, at least they'll 'get it.'  

Why does it appear more people feel this way about university/team leadership, but not the starters on the roster? By and large, this board wants 'the best player to start' at a position regardless of their name, history, where they're from or the number on this jersey. Yet, that seems to get thrown out the window far more often when it comes to university leadership. There's a bit of irony there.

• Plus1 4

Search the country.  Ask the best ADs if they will come to Lincoln and then ask them and the other best people out there who they recommend.

Stick to only "Hometown" people only and you could end up with Steve Pederson.  He was hailed as the Hometown Hero coming back to take us to the mountain top.  Instead he was polarizing and toxic and we are still feeling his effects today.

Bounds and Green will do the proper search and find us the best guy available.  Let's just hope they will come here and reclaim the true Husker Culture.

Culture, Accountability, Leadership & Team

2 hours ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Trev seems to be a good administrator with a track record of making tough choices.  Although if you ask die-hard UNO fans you'll  get a different story with the handling of the Football and Wrestling teams being canceled via text message IIRC.  I still think he'd bring in quality people and be level heading and even-handed.  Obviously, his pedigree will play well with boosters.

As for coaching, no, you scratched the surface on that.  Dabo, Jimbo, Saben, none have any previous tie to their current posts.  Meyer is an Ohio kid but didn't play at tOSU (he got his grad degree there).  A good coach is just that, while some fit better in places, I have no doubt that any of the top 5-6 coaches in the country would have success at pretty much any P5 school

ETA:  Remember Frost didn't have the smoothest time here.  He was widely seen as a traitor for going to Stanford, then returning hat in hand once TO got things rolling.  I remember he was booed off the field.  He is unproven in the big seat, while I'd like to see a native son come back and get things rolling.

Tom Osborne was unproven in the big seat too. I don't buy the uber experienced coach anymore. We have that in Riley and it hasn't produced what one would expect from a veteran coach. 

This Thread needs to be the benchmark for all threads -   A bunch of NU fans discussing what is near and dear to us all in a friendly matter.

Seems like NU history should be a portion of the equation, however there are so many other factors.  There is a NEBRASKA WAY however how different is it then other places and isn't it something that educated successful AD's could figure out?  The population of Nebraska and the total number of universities compared to the entire united states just seems like such a small % to narrow the search down to individuals with NU ties.  

As stated before - most of these kids don't know or haven't seen dominating players for NU in action.  The "glory days" are nice to have in your back pocket, however not sure it can be the main selling point any more.

• Plus1 1

If you're referring to an AD hire, I'd rather have a proven guy like Bill Byrne again. (If he's even available)  Rimington's name has come up for 20 years, but I don't know if he has any interest or what he would do if hired. Not sure about Alberts at this level either. I'd take a chance on Alberts and Rimington though, because I know they know who we want to be.

I don't think fans are looking to mirror Tom Osborne's success as much as just looking like we belong on the field against all our opponents.