Maybe it’s Just Me, but...

MKMScat20

36 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

That, and if Riley does anything close to serviceable this season (read: 7-5/8-4) before bowl season, they'll probably keep the staff on one year longer to throw to the proverbial wolves of our 2018 season. It's not a schedule conducive towards success for a new head coach and staff. 

Then if we go 6-6/5-7 next year, then we'll see Riley get the boot and a replacement come in. 

That's a really good point.  The schedule next year is shaping up to be pretty salty.

at, 

Sep 01

AkronMemorial StadiumTBASat, 

Sep 08

ColoradoMemorial StadiumTBASat, 

Sep 15

TroyMemorial StadiumTBASat, 

Sep 22

Michigan *at Ann Arbor, Mich.TBASat, 

Sep 29

Purdue *Memorial StadiumTBASat, 

Oct 06

Wisconsin *at Madison, Wis.TBASat, 

Oct 13

Northwestern *at Evanston, Ill.TBASat, 

Oct 20

Minnesota *Memorial StadiumTBASat, 

Nov 03

Ohio State *at Columbus, OhioTBASat, 

Nov 10

Illinois *Memorial StadiumTBASat, 

Nov 17

Michigan State *Memorial StadiumTBAFri, 

Nov 23

Iowa *at Iowa City, IowaTBA

1 hour ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Even if he splits that and doesn't get a Bo level blowout in the other two, I think he gets another year.

Everyone saying he's gone, remember we all thought Bo was done when SE was hired.

I don't believe we all thought that, I don't even believe a significant portion of Husker fans thought that.  I didn't think that.  TO retired and hiring a replacement was inevitable.

It's a completely different situation we find ourselves in now.  

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The schedule next year is shaping up to be pretty salty.

That's not really a bad thing for a new staff. Their expectation level is lowest in the first year, and they're given the most leash. There will be learning mistakes, anyhow.

An easy schedule, especially as part of these rotating schedules we've seen for do long, is worse because you feel like you've wasted an opportunity if you're not perfect.

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

That's not really a bad thing for a new staff. Their expectation level is lowest in the first year, and they're given the most leash. There will be learning mistakes, anyhow.

An easy schedule, especially as part of these rotating schedules we've seen for do long, is worse because you feel like you've wasted an opportunity if you're not perfect.

Also a very good point.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....are you saying they might as well make a change now because next year's tough schedule is a good excuse for a new staff to have a bad record in their first year while they acclimate to their new jobs?

I wouldn't make the change until after the season - it serves no purpose at this point.

But given all the issues we're still seeing in year three, there doesn't seem to be much reason to think that anything will improve in year four, especially against a pretty tough schedule.

So I would much rather have a new staff taking some lumps in a year that probably isn't going anywhere anyway than hope against hope that the current staff will be somehow able to turn it around given another year.

• Plus1 3
21 hours ago, unlfan said:

Mike Riley is in over his head here and is taking this program down with him. It is evident to all reasonable observers at this point. Some fans may deny that, but they are actively disregarding all evidence and being unreasonably optimistic. Which is totally fine, but just not reality.

Thankfully, it is now clear Green and Bounds realize a losing culture is starting to take hold and are taking swift and aggressive action to rid the program of the cancer.

Yeah and the reality is we were how good before MR got here - make some popcorn and sit back and see what happens..... Actually Green and Bounds realized that the culture had already taken hold (past 5 years) - question is which direction will they go.

I agree with everything in the OP except I'm not totally sold on Frost yet. I hope they do a thorough search and find the best fit, if that's Frost then so be it. I also think some are putting a little too much faith in our defense based on games against likely the 3 worst teams on our schedule. We'll know more after a few more games. 

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think the number of fans who think Riley has much of a chance of staying is very small.

But I also think lots of people ignore the conditional part of conditional statements so they can call people crazy and/or foolish.

If I were to say "If Riley wins the next 9 games," it doesn't mean I think he'll win the next 9 games. It might mean I think there is a 0.0001% chance he'll win the next 9 games. But I'm still allowed to say "If Riley wins the next 9 games" and make whatever my next statement is, without it making me a crazy optimist. It's like... thinking about winning $200 million and what you'd do with the money. It's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean you were a nutjob to think of what you would do with $200 million. It also doesn't mean you're going to be devastated when it doesn't happen.

So that said, if Riley wins 9 games this season (pre-Bowl) that would mean he beat at least 3 of the following 4 teams: Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, Penn State. I really can't see him getting fired this season if he does that. What I can see is the AD preparing to fire him next year if he doesn't improve in 2018. That means beating those types of teams again, and not starting out so horribly.

I know what you mean. If the cow actually does manage to jump over the moon, I'm buying that cow because that's one jumping son of a bitch!

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, MKMScat20 said:

I know this is my first post, but I’ve been following the boards as a guest for around 5 years.  Anyway, not the point of the post but a simple preface.  Here’s the reason for posting:

First off, congrats to the players on a much needed win.  But, I’m not so sure I’m as impressed with the win as others from a standpoint of the coaches.  As I was driving yesterday, I listed to Coatney and Taylor’s post game call in show.  There are many people who feel the defensive staff has done so much better since the first half of the Oregon game.  Sure the stats may show this, but I am afraid there is too much smoke in the mirror here.  

Oregon threw the ball far less in the second half than the first following the interception early in the 3rd Quarter.  I believe it was only a handful of times actually, compared to the many passes of the first half.  Oregon doesn’t let up, and that’s a much different game in my honest opinion.  

Sure we held it close with NIU, but it was a second string quarterback, and I’m fairly certain the atheletes and depth at Oregon are superior to those at NIU...and the same observation could be said about Rutgers.  No disrespect meant to either team, but it’s reality.  

I know many many will say, we will see against Wisconsin.  But, some of the phone in’s last night would have you believe we just beat Alabama or Clemson.  Many were also quite in favor of giving MR and staff another year under a new AD saying he has not had enough time.  I disagree.  

Considering coaches like Harbaugh, and Chryst both were hired the same year as MR and both of them have been top 10 for some time.  Now, I know Wisconsin was good under Beliema and declined a bit with Anderson, but Mich was not good under Hoke.  And also Franklin at PSU.  How can they do it, yet we can’t expect our coach too? 

The reality is, MR is a lifetime .500 coach and a move from Corvallis to Lincoln isn’t going to change that.  I know he is a great guy, and the personality was a welcome change from before, though I never had a huge issue with Bo I can understand why people did.

So so far we have won a squeaker against ASU, came up a bit short after a horrible first half at ORE, lost to NIU (when many were certain this wouldn’t happen), and won by 10 against argueably the bottom team in the B10.   I just don’t see how NU can afford to keep MR another year unless he wins out.  

Do a search and find out AD then a new coach.  Those who say Frost isn’t ready...his UCF team just beat a very solid Maryland team who beat Texas, who then played a very close game with USC.  Based on his previous year, and early games this year, I’d say he’s ready if he wants it.  Hopefully, he’d love to return to UNL.  

Sorry for a long first post, and again, congrats to the players on a needed win.  GBR!

Completely agree with all points with the minor exception that the Maryland team UCF beat was not the same unit as the Texas game.  The Terps were actually a very good offense this year with Pigrome as QB. When he went down, Hill was a competent replacement . On Saturday, Hill was hurt early, which put Bortenschlager in who is their 4th string QB talent-wise (they call him 3rd string but a late preseason injury to the 3rd string QB elevated him).  Without a dual threat QB, the offense was awful. (Due to friends and family who played for MD since the Boomer Esiason days, I am forced to hear about them despite having no love).  That said, UCF has improved drastically from last year and I know we all will be tuned into the remainder of their season.  The UCF offense had some nice reads and moved the ball on a B1G opponent, even though it was a weak one.  The next game against Memphis will show a lot.  Nice cherry post you lurker!  ;)

• Plus1 1