Trump's Tax Plan

sho

On 10/12/2017 at 1:00 PM, TGHusker said:

However, when I think of farmers who want to pass their farms on to family members or who sell it, doesn't the estate tax come into play?  So, this is where it might help the 'common man'.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, QMany said:

Sorry, that's a piece of s#!t attitude about a family business that probably has been in the family for generations and the person taking the farm over probably worked his life helping build it.

And, that farmer and their family isn't the one taking healthcare away.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sorry, that's a piece of s#!t attitude about a family business that probably has been in the family for generations and the person taking the farm over probably worked his life helping build it.

And, that farmer and their family isn't the one taking healthcare away.

Couldn't have said it better.  Thanks BRB:thumbs

That is a hypothetical about a $20,000,000 farm without exploring any other options. And there are many more options than outright sale (10 year payment window, mortgage, trusts, insurance, partial sale, etc). The average Nebraska farmland is $2,805 per acre. That hypothetical would be a 7,130 acre property. The average farm is well within the current $5,000,000 exemption.

I know that farmer isn't personally stripping 13 million of healthcare. But this tax bill is attempting to repeal the estate tax with that consequence.

Edited by QMany
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Good luck, @QMany. The Estate Tax is one of those hot button issues that people react to strongly. I tried to discuss different Estate Tax proposals on this board about a year ago, and found out that for some reason this particular tax is wildly unpopular.

I think it has to do with what some people perceive as right vs. wrong. A lot of times we discuss taxes as objectively good or bad policy, but it doesn't seem like we discuss them within moral parameters. I'd guess people feel pretty strongly that it's wrong to tax something simply because a family member is trying to pass it on to their children.

Right/wrong is a curious lens with which to examine the repeal of the estate tax. The repeal would almost exclusively benefit very wealthy people. The tax's main draw is that it serves as a mechanism to block inherited wealth hording. With it gone, what mechanisms exist to act as a block on inherited wealth? Does that seem right/wrong? Is it right/wrong that the entire tax bill disproportionately affects the wealthy & corporations as the expense of working and poor folks, and boots 13M off healthcare & increases premiums to do so?

Edited by dudeguyy
10 hours ago, QMany said:

That is a hypothetical about a $20,000,000 farm without exploring any other options. And there are many more options than outright sale (10 year payment window, mortgage, trusts, insurance, partial sale, etc). The average Nebraska farmland is $2,805 per acre. That hypothetical would be a 7,130 acre property. The average farm is well within the current $5,000,000 exemption.

I know that farmer isn't personally stripping 13 million of healthcare. But this tax bill is attempting to repeal the estate tax with that consequence.

I know the 20,000,000 is an extremely rare example and I fully understand that a very small number of estates pay taxes. 

My my comment was only about the attitude of, we shouldn’t care about these person like because they can just sell their business or farm to pay the taxes. 

That’s just wrong if that’s the attitude we have behind our tax laws. 

10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Good luck, @QMany. The Estate Tax is one of those hot button issues that people react to strongly. I tried to discuss different Estate Tax proposals on this board about a year ago, and found out that for some reason this particular tax is wildly unpopular.

Just because people disagree with you doesn’t mean we can’t have the discussion. I don’t remember it getting nasty or anything. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know the 20,000,000 is an extremely rare example and I fully understand that a very small number of estates pay taxes. 

My my comment was only about the attitude of, we shouldn’t care about these person like because they can just sell their business or farm to pay the taxes. 

That’s just wrong if that’s the attitude we have behind our tax laws. 

I see where you are coming from but I really don't think that's the attitude the tax laws are crafted with. That is a tough scenario, but it becomes alot less tough when you are talking about much larger estates with very wealthy families. I understand you were responding to the tweet thread but we have to realize the attitude behind losing the estate tax is not to help people in these situations, it's a chance for Trump to help himself and others like him. They don't give a rats ass about the land rich cash poor farmer. 

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because people disagree with you doesn’t mean we can’t have the discussion. I don’t remember it getting nasty or anything. 

I didn't mean to imply we shouldn't have the discussion or that it got nasty. Just that people have surprisingly (at least to me) strong opinions on this issue.