Riley, Diaco Dilemma

Hunter94

10 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'd like to see Riley take over the play calling going forward, just for the rest of the season. For s#!ts & giggles.

MR is too busy putting up with the whiney fans to have time to be off cord.   Besides i'm betting he's working at being a QB coach.  he only has 25yrs exp with that.   If TL wants to learn, he has a master teaching!  TA had the same chance but refused to learn!

Edited by chainsaw
needed to edit!

13 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Illinois offense was offensive.  Bob still has his DB's 10 yards away from the receivers.  A good team is going to take advantage of it.  

There was at least 1 play on a 3rd down where our DB basically sprinted back 12 yards away from the WR and then Illinois snapped the ball and the QB immediately threw it right to him and he got the 1st down.

It's baffling that we do this.

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I would like Riley to stay so I can see what Diaco's defense can become if we get the likes of Bookie, Parsons, Tutt and a few other defensive studs.  

it was only 3 weeks ago that oregon put up 42 on us in 1 half. i'm not keeping riley just so we can keep diaco.

as for the recruits, that's the risk you make when hiring a new coach.

frost's DC held memphis/maryland to 10/13 points. just sayin.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Illinois offense was offensive.  Bob still has his DB's 10 yards away from the receivers.  A good team is going to take advantage of it.  

are our DB's really that slow or is it BD's philosophy to give the WR's that much space?  seems crazy to me?

5 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Some UCF people think that they would promote their DC, Erik Chinander, to HC if Frost leaves. That helps the case for Diaco perhaps staying. 

Haha. Right, and Diaco will be holding his stupid ass Civil ConFLiCT trophy that Frost left on the field after UCF beat them.

link: https://deadspin.com/ucf-beats-uconn-in-forced-rivalry-game-leaves-dumb-tro-1788119816

3 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Some UCF people think that they would promote their DC, Erik Chinander, to HC if Frost leaves. That helps the case for Diaco perhaps staying. 

It appears Chinander and Frost are pretty good friends.....Even if UCF were to offer the HC, he still might leave for the DC at NU.

On another note, say the D improves tremendously, we are competitive here on out, but still lose several games by very narrow margins.  The D is solid and the losses are again poor OL play, clock management and DL play calling. Would the new AD perhaps offer Diaco the HC?

24 minutes ago, lo country said:

It appears Chinander and Frost are pretty good friends.....Even if UCF were to offer the HC, he still might leave for the DC at NU.

On another note, say the D improves tremendously, we are competitive here on out, but still lose several games by very narrow margins.  The D is solid and the losses are again poor OL play, clock management and DL play calling. Would the new AD perhaps offer Diaco the HC?

Diaco isn't getting any head coaching offers considering his epic fail job at UConn.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

i think Diaco's record at UConn will hold him back for awhile.......he needs to concentrate on his DC position, still see our DB's playing too far off their receivers.....against a good bunch of receivers i don't think that works.......past 2 opponents not very talented. 

1 hour ago, Hunter94 said:

i think Diaco's record at UConn will hold him back for awhile.......he needs to concentrate on his DC position, still see our DB's playing too far off their receivers.....against a good bunch of receivers i don't think that works.......past 2 opponents not very talented. 

I agree on the coverage. We try that against the likes of OSU and PSU it will get real ugly real quick.  Jackson, in particular, at 6'3/210lbs should easily be physical enough to jam guys at the line.  I'd rather play physical and try to disrupt the receivers than get burned deep, allow the easy underneath routes and get the PI.....

Uconn hurts him for sure.  Just threw it out.  If he turns the D around, might be worth a look at DC.  IMO, if he turns things around, he won't be the DC for too long.  Use it as a stepping stone as a HC somewhere.

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Bend and don't break......This defense is designed to give up FGs and not TDs.  I freakin' hate it.  

I have been a really bad football coach for a lot of years and I have used both philosophies.  They both work and they both don't work.  Usually it depends on the players you have.  This year, we press and get so physical at the LOS and it works for us.  We actually had a DB jump offsides this year because they were so amped up to jam the WR...we also bring a lot of pressure.  It has been working.  But the bend-D works too.  It really just depends.