Lee B. on Wisconsin

14 hours ago, Branno said:

In a season where it would matter. In a season in which we aren't 12 point underdogs at home. A season where we didn't almost lose to Arkansas State. A season where we don't struggle against Rutgers. A season where we can score more against Illinois than 28. A season where we didn't lose to f'ing NIU.

Hey...I'm just wondering and asking questions.

So....there is nothing this season that could happen with either program (no matter how unlikely) to change your mind on that.  You've decided that and nothing's going to change it.

16 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

As another poster said the on field difference between these programs probably isn't that drastic game to game. But the programs themselves are light years apart right now. Wisconsin has struck on a formula which keeps them relevant and competitive year in and year out for years now. 

The problem is I'm not sure getting to Wisconsins level would satisfy a large portion of this fan base. There have been too many championships and people want that back. Wisconsin never had it and their fans seem to be able to appreciate a good season for what it is. 

Personally, even though I lived through the glory years I would be very happy with Wisconsins level of success right now. 

You make a lot of great points.  I would be very happy with Wisconsin's level of success right now.  They are what Nebraska was from 1974 until 1992.  A very good relevant football team on the national scene that used its own formula to create its success.

I also agree that Wisconsin's fans are very satisfied with their position in the CFB world, and that is not a bad thing.  Go over to a Wisconsin board, they think Nebraska fans are delusional about what there team can be.  I think some of our fans are at this point.  Nebraska has to get back to being a consistent player with Wisconsin, and Iowa before they can start thinking about the college football playoffs.  

It is not some quick fix either.  It is not a quick fix for MR it will not be for the next coach either if it comes to that. 

On 10/1/2017 at 4:28 PM, timmytbro said:

.  .  . Nebraska always out recruits Wisconsin,  .  .  .

In the recruiting guru ratings, yes. But, perhaps not in reality.

Take, for example, Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin's true freshman running back.  He was rated a three star.  Yet he supassed Cory Clement's New Jersey rushing records and also was the fastest New Jersey sprinter last year.  Had he been recruited by Michigan, he probably would be a four or five star.  Ran an electronic-timed 10.49 100m dash at 214 pounds. (Michigan's Peppers ran it in 10.53)
Article

Recruiting in-state kids, who make their decisions early, reduces their value to the recruiting gurus.  Obviously the walk-on program helps, as only Nebraska fans would understand, and there is good coaching.  But mostly it's because Wisconsin isn't a helmit school. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigAppleBucky said:

In the recruiting guru ratings, yes. But, perhaps not in reality.

Take, for example, Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin's true freshman running back.  He was rated a three star.  Yet he supassed Cory Clement's New Jersey rushing records and also was the fastest New Jersey sprinter last year.  Had he been recruited by Michigan, he probably would be a four or five star.  Ran an electronic-timed 10.49 100m dash at 214 pounds. (Michigan's Peppers ran it in 10.53)
Article

Recruiting in-state kids, who make their decisions early, reduces their value to the recruiting gurus.  Obviously the walk-on program helps, as only Nebraska fans would understand, and there is good coaching.  But mostly it's because Wisconsin isn't a helmit school. 

This guy gets it

• Plus1 1

On 10/1/2017 at 8:06 PM, Hingle McCringleberry said:

I am so is Chancellor Green and President Bounds.  There is no shame in that either.

I guess I should've stated that differently. I think the bar the average Nebraska fan sets for the program (read as the point where this board won't continue to discuss coaching personnel) is consistently in the conference title race, sometimes in the national title hunt, but more often than not in the Top 25. 

There is no shame in asking for national championships, but I'm sure the Wisconsin faithful aren't demanding Paul Chryst, Bret Bielema, and Barry Alvarez be run out of town because they won just a few conference championships and have consistently finished in the Top 20. 

• Plus1 2
23 hours ago, Branno said:

In a season where it would matter. In a season in which we aren't 12 point underdogs at home. A season where we didn't almost lose to Arkansas State. A season where we don't struggle against Rutgers. A season where we can score more against Illinois than 28. A season where we didn't lose to f'ing NIU.

In this thread: having our cake and eating it too!

Fans: Mike Riley has to beat Wisconsin

*Nebraska beats Wisconsin*

Fans: Beating Wisconsin this season doesn't matter because the season was over when Nebraska lost to NIU, barely beat Arkansas State and Rutgers, and only scored 28 against Illinois despite winning by 22. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

^^^^ Man, it would really suck to hear that.  Beating Wisky matters ... regardless.  It's important.

I agree 2000%. I was telling my friends that it'd be a cruel irony for Nebraska to beat Wisconsin and then finish like 4-8. Everybody seems desperate to see Nebraska beat Wisconsin that it's become the measuring stick game.

On 10/1/2017 at 3:01 PM, GBRFAN said:

Because that model has not proven that it can win a NC and no matter how low we are right now as we climb the ladder with MR or whoever is the coach we as fan's all know that anything short of making the playoffs and/or competing for NC's on more than one occasion per decade is not good enough

Where were you in 1994, 1995 and 1997?

20 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Where were you in 1994, 1995 and 1997?

Many of the people on the board have never seen those Huskers.

My biggest complaint with what Oregon was doing with their razzle dazzle offense was first time they came against a team that could physically match them man for man, they fell apart. Not to mention the difficulty of recruiting players who can run like that the entire game. Sometimes coaches need to get out of their head and put the controller down;.... we’re talking about real people here, not Gameboy.

But the system from the mid 90s worked. Physical football with backups that can play 15 snaps a game will wear out opponents. In the 1994 OB, Miami didn't get a first down in the 4th quarter. Sapp was killing us early in the game. In the 4th quarter he had the oxygen mask strapped on, and when he was on the field he was kneeling between plays, not running his mouth. In addition to Sapp, that Miami defense had Ray Lewis and I believe every starter played in the NFL.

• Plus1 1