Still want to keep Diaco?

Regarding my original post on the topic, I was pretty drunk and disappointed during the 4th quarter of the Wisconsin game, but the original question is still valid.  After the Rutgers and Illinois games, there were many posts saying "If Riley is fired and a new coach is brought in, I hope that Diaco and some of the other defensive staff is retained".  I am still not sold on Diaco, as the D seems to be successful against really bad offenses, but really struggles with any good offense.

On 10/8/2017 at 6:00 PM, Nebhawk said:

For the record, I think the verdict is out on Diaco.  I don't know if we can judge him off this season.  I would like to see him in about 3 year with better players, and players recruited to play in this defense.  Maybe even with Frost and his system.  Don't see that happening, but I don't know if we can judge him yet.

Kind of where I am. I think the defense has issues, but I also realize it's the first year of a new system and they at least look better then last year. However, I am certainly not optimistic enough about Diaco or his defense to stipulate that the new coach has to retain them. If they want to fine but not as a condition. 

On 10/9/2017 at 2:10 PM, brophog said:

I believe Taylor had 1 run in the first half that went for less than 4 yds, and had long runs of 30 and 75.

A lot of the first half appearing close was a mirage caused by a s#!t ton of early penalties in Wisc that killed their drives. They were still moving the ball fairly consistently and well even if they didn't break open the scoring until the second half.  

6 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

A lot of the first half appearing close was a mirage caused by a s#!t ton of early penalties in Wisc that killed their drives. They were still moving the ball fairly consistently and well even if they didn't break open the scoring until the second half.  

Yeah, it put them in long down and distance that led to a lot of incompletions, and that really prevented them from playing like they wanted. In this regard, I don't like what I heard in Diaco's press conference. He seems to present this as a 19 minute game, citing the score at 1:20 in the first half ( the big TD run) and near the third quarter as examples of acceptable score differentials. He focuses on the final three drives where Wisconsin ran the ball up and down the field, rather than the entire game.

I can understand tryin to be positive to the media and presenting this as a correctable situation, especially with such a dominant opponent coming to town, but I hope privately he realizes this started well before the second half.