What did we learn? (Game 6 - Wisconsin)

Also, our clock management continues to be HORRIBLE.

If you're going to run an offensive play with six seconds left in the half from that field position - which is a pretty risky decision to begin with - the ONLY  thing you do is throw it into the end zone.  There is literally NOTING good that can happen from doing anything else.

We were lucky that Ozigbo went out of bounds by accident because he wasn't going out on purpose.  Not that those three points mattered but they could have.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If you're going to run an offensive play with six seconds left in the half from that field position - which is a pretty risky decision to begin with - the ONLY  thing you do is throw it into the end zone.  There is literally NOTING good that can happen from doing anything else.

We were lucky that Ozigbo went out of bounds by accident because he wasn't going out on purpose.  Not that those three points mattered but they could have.

I thought the same thing.  But the flipside is we were playing to win.  I shook my head while it was happening, but the devil on my shoulder was yelling, "yeah, yeah, yeah."

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

How to piss away momentum 101:

Get a pick six to tie the game.

Get two penalties on Wisconsin on the ensuing kickoff so they start at their 7.

Let them go 93 yards in 10 plays for a TD.

Get an 80 yard pass to cut the lead to 10-7, allow a 75 yard TD run to get the lead back to 10 points. #Rileyed 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Get an 80 yard pass to cut the lead to 10-7, allow a 75 yard TD run to get the lead back to 10 points. #Rileyed 

You can't blame the coaching for missed tackles.  That's "want to."  Good players are born with it.  

Guys, our D sucks and it's not coaching.  It's lack of talent and, tonight, the lack of depth really showed.  We need players.  A chef is only as good as his ingredients.  

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Even on a night when our third-string RB is the first back since Leonard Fournette to run for 100 yards against Wisconsin, Langsdorf still throws it 57% of the time - while completing barely 50%.

La

Well, in his defense we were losing.  You throw the ball when you're down and it's late in the game.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are one odd cat

:lol: probably true. Two different quotes from the movie Friday Night Lights sum me up pretty well.

"It took me a long time to realize that there ain't much difference between winnin' and losin',  except for how the outside world treats you. But inside you, it's about all the same." - Coach Gary Gaines

"You like the game Mike? You have fun playing it? It's supposed to be fun, you know?" - random college recruiter

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No kidding. When the announcer said "You can't run a play in 6 seconds".. I'm thinking bulls#!t. You run a post to the front pylon of the endzone. Put the ball where only our guy can get it. 3-4 seconds tops. Nope. That's not the play they ran...

44 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'll probably be echoing some things already posted..

• We just saw the end for Riley. He had to have this one to have a reasonable chance at at least 8 wins and a division title. 7 wins is probably not the absolute ceiling, IMO.
  • I agree with the "refuse to lose" article about the 97 team. This entire program hasn't possessed that attitude since the last of Solich. 
  • Unless you believe recruiting services are nothing but a bunch of charlatans, we aren't losing because of talent (at least to teams not named Ohio State). We lose because of poor schemes and coaching. This is going on 3 coaches now.  This game was easily there for the taking, but lack of quality schemes and discipline prevented the ability to grab it.
  • Bit of a soapbox moment: But for those that claim NU can't win due to location, I present to you Wisconsin, Iowa of 2 years ago, Boise St, Washington St (off top of my head). None of these programs should be expected to win at a greater level than NU. Just need the correct leadership and coaching staff.

I really hoped Riley would figure it out this season and obtain/save this recruiting class. 

I still just flat out don't understand fans who think this was nail in Rileys coffin, or who still needed more time to evaluate him.  

Let me ask you a question (I probably will not read your answer)  I suppose you are the same people who would drive a mile on a flat tire thinking "Oh it can't really be flat?"

Like, literally I have known he was poor (according to what the standard should be at NU) for over a year.  And why do you keep a poor coach around? WHY? 

You just like seeing old fans suffer? 

A SPADE is a SPADE. 

• Plus1 1

Its been noted and said, unless your in the Top 15 in recruiting, your playing with blind money.  The elite level players are easy to identify each year.  Its easy to give them 4 or 5 stars.  When your talking about recruiting levels after that , its all a crap shoot.  Some players develop, some don't, and some don't even show up on campus.  I wouldn't put alot of faith in those numbers.

Last years class on average was around 20- 23 in the nation.  Take out Key Jr, what is that class ranking now?  Tre Bryant was a good recruit as well, but we recruited a guy with grandpas knees ane he may never be more than a 5 carry guy per game.  Two guys in two different classes, but if they are not playing, I am guessing that those ratings are not even in the top 30?  Not for sure there, but recruiting hype is just that.  Hype.

38 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I think we're all in control of how much enjoyment we get out of Nebraska football, regardless of how good they are or what kind of schemes we run.

Personally, I still absolutely love watching the Huskers, and still have a blast. Even tonight I had a really enjoyable time watching the game and chatting with a bunch of HB members, getting caught up in the emotions and excitement of the whole thing. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I still have a lot of fun.

I still watch the games, and I've gotten older and busier, but into my 30s (37 now) Husker football was an event - someone was always hosting etc. I still watch, but I don't invest like I once did - just sucks losing any game of substance, and this year, NIU.

Next week I may just listen and do some yard work. Can't really call people fair weather when the product on the field isn't good.

• Plus1 1