What did we learn? (Game 6 - Wisconsin)

Props to the fans...TV picked up a lot of the crowd and how much they were into it.

Wisconsin took our formula and the irony is not lost that Riley will be gone because he could not stop Wisconsin just running it down our throats.  In year 3 we were to see the amazing passing show of Riley and Langsdorf.  Yes, we caught a few balls but often were lit up after the catch.  And we still have too many drops, fumbles.  

We have no one that can play TE.

Ozigbo did well for 2 and half quarters.  I would have given some carries to another RB to keep him more fresh. By the 4th quarter look at how their RB and OL was gaining strength while our RB and OL was getting dominated.

Where was our DL?  Don't recall any mentions of them all night...did not play well and got blown off the line.  

Our tackling continues to be bad.

I thought Lee did what he could.  Spielman played pretty well. Too many other units and players were just meh. 

Let's get Scott Frost...if we don't land him I cannot fathom how bad it will be when dude starts playing for big time bowls and more.  

• Plus1 1

We don't have anything close to Wisconsin's linebackers.  Just compare how they look to ours, especially in the middle.

They are what we thought they were.  We are behind.

People want to say we have more talent than Wisconsin.  I call bulls#!t.  The star ratings that come in as true freshman don't matter as much as the talent you put on the field.  That's player development and coaching.  Areas we are lacking.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Catchy phrases ie #savagegorillas and #moneyteam don't matter when you can't develop the talent.

#energyvampires (Hey Shawn, you know what really sucks the energy out of everyone? Losing.

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

He drops WAAAAAAYYYY too many balls to be paid to do that exact job.  Sorry to those that think so, but he won't sniff the NFL if that isn't fixed.

Eh, I dunno, Stonehands Niles Paul has had a pretty decent career.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

We don't have anything close to Wisconsin's linebackers.  Just compare how they look to ours, especially in the middle.

They are what we thought they were.  We are behind.

People want to say we have more talent than Wisconsin.  I call bulls#!t.  The star ratings that come in as true freshman don't matter as much as the talent you put on the field.  That's player development and coaching.  Areas we are lacking.

Very true. 

I think Nebraska got better tonight and I think people will see that when the heat of the moment calms down and the narrative of the big picture is no longer clouding the focus.

This game comes down to 17-17. Wisconsin is facing a hostile crowd, pinned deep and they do what humans do when they're under pressure....they lean on what's comfortable. For them that's their power/counter series. I posed the question earlier in the week of what Nebraska's key play is. What does Nebraska execute as cleanly and confidently as Wisconsin does that series? 

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

People don't want to admit it, but that's exactly what it is. It's a losing culture. 

I brought up on the board earlier, how Riley's  demeanor and body language permeates losing, I was met with a strong rebuke for it. It is safe to say that my assumption is not wrong.

This is year three, why are we regressing? I see absolutely no improvement or encouraging signs of improvement. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, timmytbro said:

I brought up on the board earlier, how Riley's  demeanor and body language permeates losing, I was met with a strong rebuke for it. It is safe to say that my assumption is not wrong.

This is year three, why are we regressing? I see absolutely no improvement or encouraging signs of improvement. 

For whatever reason, Riley doesn't demand toughness from his team or demand his players to excel. His career at Oregon State was rewarded for being "pretty good" and now he's at NU it's been bad. Riley is done, he knows it, his team knows it. 

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think Nebraska got better tonight and I think people will see that when the heat of the moment calms down and the narrative of the big picture is no longer clouding the focus.

This game comes down to 17-17. Wisconsin is facing a hostile crowd, pinned deep and they do what humans do when they're under pressure....they lean on what's comfortable. For them that's their power/counter series. I posed the question earlier in the week of what Nebraska's key play is. What does Nebraska execute as cleanly and confidently as Wisconsin does that series? 

Sure we played better.  Sure if we played like this against Oregon and NIU, this might have been our first loss as well.  Preparation is not there for all 12 games.  NIU game is the final factor in this whole season.  If not for  that game, I think we are on schedule for this year and things don't look as bleak as they are.  Its what Riley does.  He will play a top 5 team tough as hell, and then lose to a bottom feeder.  No excuse for what this season has become.

3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Sure we played better.  Sure if we played like this against Oregon and NIU, this might have been our first loss as well.  Preparation is not there for all 12 games.  NIU game is the final factor in this whole season.  If not for  that game, I think we are on schedule for this year and things don't look as bleak as they are.  Its what Riley does.  He will play a top 5 team tough as hell, and then lose to a bottom feeder.  No excuse for what this season has become.

Were you guys watching the same game I was? NU was dominated in the 2nd half. They didn't "play better". They played like who they are. Against good teams, they have no chance, against bad teams NU might win if they don't make enough mistakes to blow the game. The team is not good. I don't know how you can't see that. 

• Plus1 2