Nice to remember, but stop living in the past

The number of exceptional athletes has grown exponentially over the last 20 years, and they are available to many well-funded programs across our country. Earlier this year, Oklahoma beat mighty OSU in Columbus, then yesterday the Cyclones beat Oklahoma in Norman before 90,000 fans. It is time to recognize our program’s new reality. Long gone are the good ol’ days where we were viewed to recruits as a superior program to play football. More importantly, it is time that we recognize that yet another “next in line” head coach on the coaching merry-go-round is not going to magically give us a national championship. In fact, that is ridiculous. We need to stick with a coach, support him, and grind it out one game, one year at a time - just like everyone else. But hey, at least we don’t have the Cyclones on our schedule this year!

• Plus1 1

Every other  program with success says hello.  Clemson, TCU, Michigan, PSU (after the death penalty) Wisky, etc....

I'm tired of hearing about recruiting concerns (we are 3rd or 4th in the B1G), tired of hearing about parity, tired of hearing about the quality of strength and conditioning, facilities and the ability to be seen on tv.....IF all of this is equal, why are we moving backwards?  It's really that simple.  

With the right coach, Dabo, Richt, Peterson etc, at the right program you win.  Again, don't tell me Washington has better facilities than NU.....

Riley wasn't the guy and isn't the guy to do any thing than keep us as a bottom feeder of the B1G.  He and his band of incompetent coaches needs to be shown the door.

Throughout the current college landscape, there are teams with less talent, facilities and tv time that are winning.

I hope the new AD doesn't accept the desire to simply be an also ran program....

Was a fan through the early 80's onward.  The thought that we as a base, even have people making excuses that we are what we are and this is all we will be is saddening.  I'm not expecting to win the MNC every year, but to continually be in the talk for the conference, win the West every year or two shouldn't be far out of the realm of possibilities....

I don’t think anyone here is thinking that we will magically be going 12-0 with a new coach. But I do think we are reasonable in having expectations that we could compete with Wisconsin and Iowa for the west every year. People’s angst comes from the fact that Wisconsin ran it down our throats last night and that looked like the Nebraska of old. 

Halfway point of the season: 3-3

Keep in mind this comes from a guy who became a fanatic during the Callahan era so I've learned to expect disappointment.  My prediction:

We go ahead and lose to Ohio State in ugly fashion.  A week from right now, it is announced that Mike Riley is being let go after posting an 18-15 record in two and a half years at Nebraska.  He thanks Husker Nation and apologizes for his lackluster on field results.  Interim AD Rimmington announces Bob Diaco as Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the season.  After a much needed Bye, Diaco leads us to 3 straight wins over Purdue, Minny and Northwestern.  We drop a close game to PSU, and then beat Iowa to finish 7-5.  We are awarded a bowl against Missouri or UCLA etc. and pull off a win to finish the season a disappointing 8-5 overall.  But.....Diaco "impresses" the higher ups enough that, drum roll, he is announced as permanent Head Coach moving forward!  He keeps most the staff, Langsdorf takes a different gig and the recruiting class finishes just outsided the top 25.

2018 prediction

After our initial pissing and moaning of not going after Frost wears off, we start sipping the kool aid like jack asses.  We say things like "the schedule is tough, but Riley left the cupboard full".  Diaco gets one of the scrub head coaches recently fired to coach the offense.  At the spring game, Gebbia tears it up and the Defense looks scary.  We start chugging kool aid like things are about to change, like we haven't been down this road before.  We go 8-4 with losses at Michigan and at Ohio State, but somehow beat Wisconsin on the road.  People are ecstatic, we are coming back! 8 wins after last season is amazing!  Meanwhile, Scott Frost takes the UCLA job or something similar.

2019 prediction

We go 6-6...the wheels fall off.  Diaco is exposed as not a good head coach.  People are livid we didn't get Scott Frost when we had the chance.

We lose to Purdue week 1.  Diaco is fired and replaced by whatever new OC he hired yet again this offseason that got fired from whatever job he had before.  We go 7-5 over a soft schedule and name this guy head coach because it's just easier at this point.

2021 and forward

We go 6-6 to 8-4 and still have yet to sniff a conference title.  We are Minnesota.

just be competitive and competent.  

we need to be competitive in the Big 10. Period.  its not happening. I don't think any of us are thinking about the 90s program/experience. we need to be decent year in year out. , we might get to and Win the B1G championship once in a while...if the ebb and flow of  winning/losing it once in a while gets us to a NC every 20 years, great. We can at least be as good as Wisconsin....if you think we cannot. its over. the 20th most valuable program in the NCAA will be done. we have the money, facilities, fan base by a mile.

9 minutes ago, Redux said:

Haldway point of the season: 3-3

Keep in mind this comes from a guy who became a fanatic during the Callahan era so I've learned to expect disappointment.  My prediction:

We go ahead and lose to Ohio State in ugly fashion.  A week from right now, it is announced that Mike Riley is being let go after posting an 18-15 record in two and a half years at Nebraska.  He thanks Huskwr Nation and apologizes for his lackluster on field results.  Interim AD Rimmington announces Bob Diavo as Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the season.  After a much needed Bye, Diaco leads us to 3 straight wins over Purdue, Minny and Northwestern.  We drop a close game to PSU, and then beat Iowa to finish 7-5.  We are awarded a bowl against Missouri or UCLA etc. and pull off a win to finish the season a disappointing 8-5 overall.  But.....Diaco "impresses" the higher ups enough that, drum roll, he is announced as permanent Head Coach moving forward!  He keeps most the staff, Langsdorf takes a different gig and the recruiting class finishes just outsided the top 25.

2018 prediction

After our initial pissing and moaning of not going after Frost wears off, we start sipping thr kool aid like jack asses.  We say things like "the schedule us tough, burmt Riley left the cupboard full".  Diaco gets ome of the scrub head coaches recently fired to coach the offense.  At the spring game, Gebbia tears it up and the Defense looks scary.  We start chugging kool aid like things are about to change, like we haven't been down this road before.  We go 8-4 with losses at Michigan and at Ohio State, but somehow beat Wisconsin on the road.  People are ecstatic, we are coming back! 8 wins after last season is amazing!  Meanwhile, Scott Frost takes the UCLA job or something similar.

2019 prediction

We go 6-6...the wheels fall off.  Diaco is exposed as not a good head coach.  People are livid we didn't get Scott Frost when we had the chance.

We lose to Purdue week 1.  Diaco is fired and replaced by whatever new OC he hired yet again this offseason that got fired from whatever job he had before.  We go 7-5 over a soft schedule and name this guy head coach because it's just easier at this point.

2021 and forward

We go 6-6 to 8-4 and still have yet to sniff a conference title.  We are Minnesota.

Your post is a mass of negativity.  Luckily the boosters et al are not nearly stupid enough to do this in my opinion.  I think they keep Riley “officially” until almost the end of the year before firing him and announcing a new HC or HC search.  Unofficially he is already gone.

1 hour ago, Huskerfan55 said:

In The first half I was ready to give the nice guy one more year but after the 3 and 4th quarters.  I am done and he is done.  In fact I think he is phoning it in right now.  He is laughing as he goes off the field.  He is done!

Wisconsin has played better in every 2d half this season.  They ran it in our face with a true freshman all night long.  I'm disgusted.