Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?

Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see MR do to keep the Huskers improving?

• Make no coaching staff changes. Continuity is what this team has been missing and it has helped us in the past.
    • Give his assistants until the end of the year to show if they can improve their product on the field.
    • Make changes on the offensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • Make changes on the defensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • None of the above (looking for some other bigger change).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2017 at 06:00 AM

15 hours ago, RedSavage said:

That last part is something I was complaining about on Saturday while at the game.  The players in the game look disengaged so often.  Riley stands there on the sidelines looking clueless most of the time, DL and Diaco are up in the boxes, so they're not on the sideline to rally the troops and just from watching, there doesn't seem to be hardly any, if any, players on the field trying to hype one another up. I really think this team severely lacks leadership.  Who tries to get the team going again when the going gets tough?  I honestly don't think I can think of one individual person that I would say has done that this season.  

Leadership starts at the top and there definitely needs to be some changes in the off season in that regard.  

Realistically, you want your players to play for one another and motivate each other but this is also why coaches are paid six figures or more. I look at my KC Chiefs and see their coordinators on the sidelines. The special teams coach fires up his unit every freaking game. And yeah, I agree, Nebraska severely lacks motivation from their coordinators.

I understand Langsdorf or Diaco can get a better view of the game upstairs. I'd prefer my coordinators be on the field and have other coaches in the box. I recall under Pelini, Watson and Beck would periodically come down from the press box. You just can't ignore the importance of having the leaders of your offense and defense on the field.

It's one of the reasons Osborne was so good. He had a tight personal relationship with his players and it resonated on the field. The same was also true for Charlie McBride.

17 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I recommend you try to find Mike'l Severe's podcasts on Omaha.com from yesterday.  He has done the research or looked at research done.  Basically, a coach at at Power 5 school who doesn't have a breakout season or huge improvement in wins by YEAR 3, will NEVER have one at that school.  We are in year 3 of Riley.  He has had 1 losing season, 1 season that was basically the same as his predecessor, and another season that is headed to .500 or worse.  These are actual facts.  Riley isn't a new coach trying to find his way.  He's a 20-year veteran head coach who is so set in his ways, that he's easy to coach against and beat.

I've been banging this drum since last year. Some people like to ignore it, but it's an incontrovertible truth.

Do you know which part of the podcast it was?

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

I've been banging this drum since last year. Some people like to ignore it, but it's an incontrovertible truth.

Do you know which part of the podcast it was?

I think Severe had it and I think it was from two days ago?  Sorry, I am not sure.

Also, (not directed at you) but so many fans wanted change because things would be better...now we are told how all this change is hard.  You know who made it hard?  Riley, because he is an average coach.  

18 hours ago, junior4949 said:

If the right coach is hired, losing a good recruiting class will work itself out.  If we keep a bad coach, a good recruiting class will be wasted. 

One of the simplest & straightforward but most profoundly true statements made in this whole discussion.  Good job JR.

20 hours ago, zoogs said:

Guys always have goodwill in our eyes before they come in here and lose some games, which was always going to happen in the aftermath of the Bo era (probably). The proper standard is where you're going, so if you're looking at other metrics you're looking in the wrong place.

I think we had a decent, fundamentally solid group of coaches here. Projecting forward to a Frost staff, I really can't imagine how much more or less they can be expected to be. Are we going to get an OL coach that isn't getting intense heat if his line in 2019 isn't pipeline-level stout? If Nebraska drops a lot of close games? Coordinators that we won't question their ability to call a pee-wee game? We're fans and so we think that if you just fire enough guys and bring in new ones, we'll stop with that bulls#!t. But we won't. We can't help ourselves.

Neither MR or a single person on his staff other than Parella had good will from me. I was shocked that we hired an old mediocre coach, and even more shocked that he brought his band of sorry assistants with him. I had no hope for this staff from day 1.

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Since nobody really addressed this, I'll give it a shot.  Frost was recruited by and played for Bill Walsh.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with Bill Walsh, but he's a Hall of Fame coach who won three Super Bowls and also popularized the west coast offense.  After Walsh resigned from Stanford, Frost transferred to Nebraska where he played for TO.  After his collegiate career had come to an end, Frost was drafted by the New York Jets where the coach happened to be a guy named Bill Parcels.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with Bill Parcels, but he's a Hall of Fame coach who won two Super Bowls.  Along the way in his NFL career, Frost was also coached by maybe a couple of guys you've heard about:  Bill Belichick and Jon Gruden. 

Thus far into his career, Frost had played for a guy who popularized the west coast offense.  He'd also played for TO.  I'd say he had about as good of mentors as one could possibly have when it comes to offense.  However, this isn't where his experience stops.  He joined Chip Kelly's staff at Oregon where he was involved in running the spread option.  I'd say he's about as well versed in different offensive philosophies as one could possibly be. 

It should be noted that Frost hasn't always been simply an offensive coach.  He played defense in the NFL.  One of his first coaching jobs was as a linebacker coach at Northern Iowa.  Later, he was promoted to co-DC where his defense ranked in the top 10 in FCS.  He's about as well rounded of a coach as you're possibly going to find out there.  He played both offense and defense at Stanford.  He played offense at Nebraska.  He played defense in the NFL.  He's coached both sides of the ball.  He's been coached by some of the absolute best coaches in the business.  He's the son of a coach.  Plus, he's probably one of the smartest people involved in the coaching industry today. 

Frost is currently in his second year at UCF.  He took over a team that didn't win a single game the season before he got there.  In his first year, he had them bowl eligible.  In his second year, they are 4-0 and currently ranked in the top 25.  One can't help but wonder if Helfrich would still be employed at Oregon had Frost stayed on as OC.  In Frost's last year as Oregon's OC, Oregon averaged 43 points per game.  The following year without Frost, Oregon averaged 35. 

Frost is from small town Nebraska.  He grew up a Husker fan.  His dad played for the Huskers.  He won a NC as a Husker.  One of the biggest reasons Chip Kelly brought Frost onto his staff was to implement toughness especially amongst the WR group.  Frost has seen us win.  Frost made us winners as a player.  I can't think of many who are more knowledgeable in what it takes to win at Nebraska than Frost.  Everywhere he goes, the team he's coaching becomes a lot more physical.  This is essentially what's been missing here for quite some time.    

That is a hell of a post.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Since nobody really addressed this, I'll give it a shot.  Frost was recruited by and played for Bill Walsh.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with Bill Walsh, but he's a Hall of Fame coach who won three Super Bowls and also popularized the west coast offense.  After Walsh resigned from Stanford, Frost transferred to Nebraska where he played for TO.  After his collegiate career had come to an end, Frost was drafted by the New York Jets where the coach happened to be a guy named Bill Parcels.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with Bill Parcels, but he's a Hall of Fame coach who won two Super Bowls.  Along the way in his NFL career, Frost was also coached by maybe a couple of guys you've heard about:  Bill Belichick and Jon Gruden. 

Thus far into his career, Frost had played for a guy who popularized the west coast offense.  He'd also played for TO.  I'd say he had about as good of mentors as one could possibly have when it comes to offense.  However, this isn't where his experience stops.  He joined Chip Kelly's staff at Oregon where he was involved in running the spread option.  I'd say he's about as well versed in different offensive philosophies as one could possibly be. 

It should be noted that Frost hasn't always been simply an offensive coach.  He played defense in the NFL.  One of his first coaching jobs was as a linebacker coach at Northern Iowa.  Later, he was promoted to co-DC where his defense ranked in the top 10 in FCS.  He's about as well rounded of a coach as you're possibly going to find out there.  He played both offense and defense at Stanford.  He played offense at Nebraska.  He played defense in the NFL.  He's coached both sides of the ball.  He's been coached by some of the absolute best coaches in the business.  He's the son of a coach.  Plus, he's probably one of the smartest people involved in the coaching industry today. 

Frost is currently in his second year at UCF.  He took over a team that didn't win a single game the season before he got there.  In his first year, he had them bowl eligible.  In his second year, they are 4-0 and currently ranked in the top 25.  One can't help but wonder if Helfrich would still be employed at Oregon had Frost stayed on as OC.  In Frost's last year as Oregon's OC, Oregon averaged 43 points per game.  The following year without Frost, Oregon averaged 35. 

Frost is from small town Nebraska.  He grew up a Husker fan.  His dad played for the Huskers.  He won a NC as a Husker.  One of the biggest reasons Chip Kelly brought Frost onto his staff was to implement toughness especially amongst the WR group.  Frost has seen us win.  Frost made us winners as a player.  I can't think of many who are more knowledgeable in what it takes to win at Nebraska than Frost.  Everywhere he goes, the team he's coaching becomes a lot more physical.  This is essentially what's been missing here for quite some time.    

Awesome take on this subject.  Good solid points made, and very accurate!   I like the fact that so many think we can go and hire basically any top caoch away from another Power 5 school right now.  That train has gone and left  the depot.  We have fired too many 9 wins coaches and hired scrubs as replacements.

3 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Awesome take on this subject.  Good solid points made, and very accurate!   I like the fact that so many think we can go and hire basically any top caoch away from another Power 5 school right now.  That train has gone and left  the depot.  We have fired too many 9 wins coaches and hired scrubs as replacements.

10 win