Just an opinion

There has to be some discussion of rallying and supporting these coaches and players. I know we all want glory and eventual championships. Trust me, I want it so bad. I do not see this negativity helping, a matter of fact, I see it making it worse. Calling for heads and bringing up new coaches is tough to deal with. Lets just be better than that.

If you were to ask me and this plagues so many programs, not just us, Nebraska's biggest problem is to get kids to play for, love, and cherish the University. When I went to the opener, I was so disappointed at the players during the tunnel walk. There is no enthusiasm to play or embrace that setting. This is a cultural problem all over the U.S.. Coaches can only do so much and it is hard to diagnose during the recruiting process. Wisconsin for example, takes players who can play but most importantly, buy into playing for Wisconsin, not the NFL. Wisconsin goes through a coaching carousel every two years but the culture remains the same.  Paul Chryst is not a genius. He just runs plays for guys who want to play and win for Wisconsin. Nebraska takes higher quality athletes yearly but treats them like they already have arrived, thus creating a mentally weak and toxic culture. Nebraska players are entitled because everything about Nebraska is big time.  Bo's issue was that he was bigger than the program to his players. So much so that his players literally took on his demeanor. The only exception in his tenure were that for two years he had such elite talent on one side, it bought him time until it would reveal itself. Suh despite everything pelini meant to him, played for Nebraska and it became infectious with the guys next to him. I mention Bo here not to revisit the past but to provide an example of how something becomes bigger than the Uni and the negative implications it has.

I am in the solutions business and I think Nebraska has to change how it sells itself and the mission it wants to accomplish. Target your competitors and say, we want to beat them. Nebraska has too much pride to admit that but they need to come to grips with saying, we need to beat Wisc and Iowa every year in order for it to be successful because that will put them in Indy. Not only that, but they have to be particular with what kind of athlete they recruit. Please, if you listen to Sharp and Benning, do not think that I stole this sentiment from them, because I have been saying this for years. Nebraska needs game changers yes, but they also need guys who will sell out and hold others accountable. They need alphas, cut stoppers, who only live to win. I think this staff knows that and I believe they may have found those guys in this class. 

People want an identity? Identity is not a scheme or style but a mentality. Hence why, this issue plagues multiple regimes and a plethora of players. 

• Plus1 9

3 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

There has to be some discussion of rallying and supporting these coaches and players. I know we all want glory and eventual championships. Trust me, I want it so bad. I do not see this negativity helping, a matter of fact, I see it making it worse. Calling for heads and bringing up new coaches is tough to deal with. Lets just be better than that.

If you were to ask me and this plagues so many programs, not just us, Nebraska's biggest problem is to get kids to play for, love, and cherish the University. When I went to the opener, I was so disappointed at the players during the tunnel walk. There is no enthusiasm to play or embrace that setting. This is a cultural problem all over the U.S.. Coaches can only do so much and it is hard to diagnose during the recruiting process. Wisconsin for example, takes players who can play but most importantly, buy into playing for Wisconsin, not the NFL. Wisconsin goes through a coaching carousel every two years but the culture remains the same.  Paul Chryst is not a genius. He just runs plays for guys who want to play and win for Wisconsin. Nebraska takes higher quality athletes yearly but treats them like they already have arrived, thus creating a mentally weak and toxic culture. Nebraska players are entitled because everything about Nebraska is big time.  Bo's issue was that he was bigger than the program to his players. So much so that his players literally took on his demeanor. The only exception in his tenure were that for two years he had such elite talent on one side, it bought him time until it would reveal itself. Suh despite everything pelini meant to him, played for Nebraska and it became infectious with the guys next to him. I mention Bo here not to revisit the past but to provide an example of how something becomes bigger than the Uni and the negative implications it has.

I am in the solutions business and I think Nebraska has to change how it sells itself and the mission it wants to accomplish. Target your competitors and say, we want to beat them. Nebraska has too much pride to admit that but they need to come to grips with saying, we need to beat Wisc and Iowa every year in order for it to be successful because that will put them in Indy. Not only that, but they have to be particular with what kind of athlete they recruit. Please, if you listen to Sharp and Benning, do not think that I stole this sentiment from them, because I have been saying this for years. Nebraska needs game changers yes, but they also need guys who will sell out and hold others accountable. They need alphas, cut stoppers, who only live to win. I think this staff knows that and I believe they may have found those guys in this class. 

People want an identity? Identity is not a scheme or style but a mentality. Hence why, this issue plagues multiple regimes and a plethora of players. 

Um. Nope. 

• Plus1 2

Good post and I agree with most of it.  I've felt for many years that the players buy into all of the hype and haven't done a thing to earn it. 

They play in a palace of a stadium, see trophies and banners displayed for championships that they had no part of, get all the fan and media hype, tunnel walk, smoke machine , pyrotechnics, hype videos-- all the things that would make a kid feel like a superstar - and what have they done?

Somewhere along the line, the coaches need to teach them to earn it.  

And one more thing - I agree about the negatively around the team , but the firing or the AD pretty much tells us what Coach Riley's fate is.  

4 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Saying this team isn't good isn't being negative, it's being realistic. Saying this is probably Riley's last year isn't being negative, it's being realistic. I'll still watch and cheer for the Huskers regardless of the outcome of any game.

Accountability and attitude come from the top down.

Right but nobody can say that Scott Frost, Tanner Lee leaving, Fire Cav, Hire such and such posts are good for the program. We need to be better than that and have respect. It hurts us much more than benefits us. For example, you don't think the Cavanaugh speculation on these boards has played a huge role in his sudden lack of recruiting prowess this year? It absolutely has. What we say exists in a public forum and it gets out. What do you think happens when someone who has some knowledge in this program or in others gets a hold of these messages? It gets used. Trust me, I agree with your last sentence. I know but I prefer to operate with what I have and I think it is a tad early to say that Riley has no shot.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

Wisconsin and Iowa now consider Nebraska to be a sure thing in their win column.

Totally because for years Nebraska believed that the Red N alone was going to beat Wisc and Iowa. Hence why I said they need to change that mindset.

• Plus1 1

I think that the swagger and killer instinct is hard to hang onto when you have such random things happen to lose games (balls off people's helmets, interceptions off tips etc - you have to admit it seems to happen to us more often than most this year, and it's absolutely deflating to me - I can't imagine how it feels to be a player).  This group of young men has done a good job picking themselves up and competing after those situations, and after getting beat up by the fans on internet board and by the press etc.  The coaching staff is doing a pretty good job not letting the stress of their being criticized 24/7 impact their preparation and mentoring of these men.  

I agree with your comment on the negativity and the need for us to be supporting the program through good and bad.  Especially now.  The constant churn of coaches isn't what builds an identity.  The first thing we need to confirm, and I hope it happens quickly is that this staff will remain to do their jobs with their guys and those who have committed to coming here next year.  3 years is a ridiculously short amount of time to turn a program around - and the identity shifts each time a new person is brought in.  We need to stablelize things up top.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Totally because for years Nebraska believed that the Red N alone was going to beat Wisc and Iowa. Hence why I said they need to change that mindset.

You are exactly right. This program  will only be rebuilt one recruit, one practice, one game, one season at a time. No shortcuts, no magical coaches. The opposing players today don’t even know, and don’t care, who we used to be. That was a long, long time ago.

• Plus1 1
Just now, moveitforward said:

You are exactly right. This program  will only be rebuilt one recruit, one practice, one game, one season at a time. No shortcuts, no magical coaches. The opposing players today don’t even know, and don’t care, who we used to be. That was a long, long time ago.

I will even go as far as saying, one rep and one lift at a time as well. Everything they do needs to matter. Practice needs to be hell and guys need to get dinged up and get used to playing like that. 

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Right but nobody can say that Scott Frost, Tanner Lee leaving, Fire Cav, Hire such and such posts are good for the program. We need to be better than that and have respect. It hurts us much more than benefits us. For example, you don't think the Cavanaugh speculation on these boards has played a huge role in his sudden lack of recruiting prowess this year? It absolutely has. What we say exists in a public forum and it gets out. What do you think happens when someone who has some knowledge in this program or in others gets a hold of these messages? It gets used. Trust me, I agree with your last sentence. I know but I prefer to operate with what I have and I think it is a tad early to say that Riley has no shot.

Are they good for the program? No, but I don't think straying from reality is good either. And I don't think some opposing program has to visit a Husker message board if they really want to negative recruit against us. It's not exactly a secret that Riley's on the hot seat and we're just starting the hard part of our schedule.