Just an opinion

30 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Right but nobody can say that Scott Frost, Tanner Lee leaving, Fire Cav, Hire such and such posts are good for the program. We need to be better than that and have respect. It hurts us much more than benefits us. For example, you don't think the Cavanaugh speculation on these boards has played a huge role in his sudden lack of recruiting prowess this year? It absolutely has. What we say exists in a public forum and it gets out. What do you think happens when someone who has some knowledge in this program or in others gets a hold of these messages? It gets used. Trust me, I agree with your last sentence. I know but I prefer to operate with what I have and I think it is a tad early to say that Riley has no shot.

Poor Riley

We once  were stocked with walk on's  from Neb  We no longer have that. They taught the kids from around the country that were getting Scholarships, what it meant to play for the Cornhuskers. I know the cost of  being walking on, is not something a lot of them can afford now. Like someone said they don't know the tradition coming in from other states. 85 scollys also didn't help. Other teams are doing it with the same rules, that we used to be able to put in the win column, before the season started. 

Bob D and T O had players or coaches that had ties to the program, having played for or having ties to the state. 

If we could get Saban, I would be all for it. Since that will never happen, I would like to see someone who does get the Husker Tradition take over. I like Riley, but doesn't look like he can do it.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

After a whopping 2 1/3 seasons?

13 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Unfortunately yeah, after 2.5 years it looks grim for Mike bc of the terrible results. Unlikely to get better this Saturday either.

You’re right, he hasn’t been given a lot of time, but this team has shown no progress at all! If anything they look softer now than two years ago. I’m sorry, the whole time thing has run it’s course, he isn’t improving the team. Recruiting may be better, but even his big recruits look totally lost and have no fundamentals, that’s simply poor coaching 

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

They aren't being supported?  Played in front of a great crowd on Saturday. 

Mike put his own job in jeopardy not people on message boards.

Again, this is an issue. Quit taking something and magnifying it to fit your argument. Don't take the low hanging fruit, which is the same mindset that advocates for AD's and HC's with little experience. There is no evidence of me saying that message boards are the reason Nebraska can't win championships. It just plays into the narrative somehow and we have the power to control that. I just promote personal restraint because believe it or not, its gets around one way or another. There are thousands of members on Husker Message boards, you don't think at least three of them have anything to do with whats going on in that stadium or at least have a close tie? Cmon. But thats not even the point. 

17 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Unfortunately yeah, after 2.5 years it looks grim for Mike bc of the terrible results. Unlikely to get better this Saturday either.

Dont tell that to clemson. 

Yeah, NO.  Read snipits from other footballs boards around the country......Bama struggled with the Aggies this weekend, and people were freaking out that they werent that good!  USC got beat by Wasu, and its time to move on from Helton!  This happens when you have expectations.  This happens when you have a tradition of winning, and winning 85% of your games in any given year.  10-2 record is actually 83.3% percent, but you get the drift.  9-3 is 75% winning percentage.  Thats what is expected.  

Sure, we won't achieve a 10 win season every season.  Thats almost a thing of the past, unless your Bama.  I don't think however that winning 9 games a year, and having a chance to win the West is all that much.  Sure, some years(next) the schedule is brutal, and winning 8 games might seem like a 10 win season, but thats better than 9 wins feeling like we should not have won 7 games all year.  This Staff makes me feel empty after wins because they refuse to play B1G football.  Their ways haven't worked for 20 years now!  They don't win championships!  They win .500 of there games.  They lose .500 of there games!  Think about that equation for a while.   

• Plus1 1

I hear ya.  Our identity used be tough and mean on both sides of the ball. NU beat teams all the time before the kickoff.  From the beat down the year before or the beat down they knew was coming.  We don't have an indentity now.  If we do it's soft, beatable, undisciplined. snake bit etc....  I don't think you'll find anyone who would define our current identity with positive words......

2.5 years is plenty of time to see what we have.  We have a .500 coach who has an incompetent OC and a OL coach who plays seniority over ability....if not for injuries, the young guys were not going to get any snaps....They have poor technique, undisciplined and lack the tenacity to do what needs to be done in the trenches.  Does Langs call a swing pass because its the best play or because he has no faith our OL can get 2 yards.....Think about that. On another note, Langs had play calling duties taken away by Riley at OSU yet comes here as the OC.  Really?  Thats plain stupid.  Throw in the pi$$ poor clock management, lack of player development and the recruit classes aren't much better than under Bo.....I'm not basing Riley on just the 2.5 years here, but 40+ years of coaching.......He is average at best.  But wait till he gets to NU with "all the shiny toys and recruits and facilities".....I'm still waiting for this guru to do more with more....We have/had the 4th best class in the B1G and have out recruited all the West since he's been here. And under BO.....Riley has the best "talent" in the West on paper yet we might be the 6th best team in the West this year..Riley and the no accountability brigade need to move on down the road.  

I'll continue to cheer for the Huskers like I did for them under Cally.  

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Yeah, NO.  Read snipits from other footballs boards around the country......Bama struggled with the Aggies this weekend, and people were freaking out that they werent that good!  USC got beat by Wasu, and its time to move on from Helton!  This happens when you have expectations.  This happens when you have a tradition of winning, and winning 85% of your games in any given year.  10-2 record is actually 83.3% percent, but you get the drift.  9-3 is 75% winning percentage.  Thats what is expected.  

Sure, we won't achieve a 10 win season every season.  Thats almost a thing of the past, unless your Bama.  I don't think however that winning 9 games a year, and having a chance to win the West is all that much.  Sure, some years(next) the schedule is brutal, and winning 8 games might seem like a 10 win season, but thats better than 9 wins feeling like we should not have won 7 games all year.  This Staff makes me feel empty after wins because they refuse to play B1G football.  Their ways haven't worked for 20 years now!  They don't win championships!  They win .500 of there games.  They lose .500 of there games!  Think about that equation for a while.   

Yeah, no what? I am not advocating to lower your standards. I have been adamant with maintaining those but just because USC fans (who are generally terrible by the way) act like that, why should we? At some point, we need to distinguish ourselves from toxic conversation and look at this with a much better mindset. Easier said then done? Sure but at this point, we should truly examine what is the issue since we have clear evidence that it is not particular to players or staff. There is an overarching theme here and we can have the discussion rather than firing everyone until we get it right year one. I get it, I see some things that raise my level for concern but I am also led to believe that this was not going to be a walk in the park for anyone. 

1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

Yeah, no what? I am not advocating to lower your standards. I have been adamant with maintaining those but just because USC fans (who are generally terrible by the way) act like that, why should we? At some point, we need to distinguish ourselves from toxic conversation and look at this with a much better mindset. Easier said then done? Sure but at this point, we should truly examine what is the issue since we have clear evidence that it is not particular to players or staff. There is an overarching theme here and we can have the discussion rather than firing everyone until we get it right year one. I get it, I see some things that raise my level for concern but I am also led to believe that this was not going to be a walk in the park for anyone. 

What have you seen that makes you believe this staff can ever win 9 games per year consistently?  Their history says they can't do it.  If its recruiting your afraid of losing, don't because unless he has a top 10 class coming, those numbers lie.

5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Clemson?  In Dabo's 3rd full season they won 10 games.  That interim season really doesn't count.  He is just a coaching starting out, not a 20 year Power 5 veteran.  Come on, facts are facts, and opinions are opinions.  When the 2 mix up, it turns into bogus talk.

Right, with 5 star players in a weak conference. Dabo was on the hot seat for some time and it took him a decade to get it going while also always having top shelf talent. Maybe not the number one class but top 10-15 consistently and his top shelf players were elite. Facts.

You could see he had something special starting.  He was getting better talent.  The ACC conference has won more NC in the last few years than anyone except for maybe the SEC BAMA.  Power 5 conference is a power 5 conference.  Most have to win a conference title game, and most have to win at least 10 games in order to do that.

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

What have you seen that makes you believe this staff can ever win 9 games per year consistently?  Their history says they can't do it.  If its recruiting your afraid of losing, don't because unless he has a top 10 class coming, those numbers lie.

I see effort to try and get it right. I see the dedication to recruiting which is huge and I see the attempt to make Nebraska relevant in a positive way outside of the field. I understand the past record at a completely different school says he's a loser and that results in the end matter. Except I look at this from a University stand point. This issue plagues the Uni and it got ahold of so many players and coaches. 

• Plus1 1