Just an opinion

1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

Right, with 5 star players in a weak conference. Dabo was on the hot seat for some time and it took him a decade to get it going while also always having top shelf talent. Maybe not the number one class but top 10-15 consistently and his top shelf players were elite. Facts.

Let's see Dabo......6 all Americans (3 in each of his first 3 years as HC)

5 Division wins

3 ACC conference wins

NC (played twice)

His real 3rd season he was 10-4

This was in the period of 8 years.  He was never on the hot seat.  you talk about an identity.  Clemson has it........

Not to mention coach of the year....

Riley won no conferences, no division, no NC and was coach of the Pac12 in 2010...

Oh and the weak conference argument?  how'd he do against OU, OSU and Bama?........He beat their collective a$$es..

Please stop trying to compare Dabo to anything Riley hasn't ever accomplished....

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

It took Dabo 3 years.

At the very least, he was the "cant win the big one" coach considering what he had. Media might not have helped him because the expectations rose but I don't think you can sit here and say he had no heat on him whatsoever. 

You can't lose to a MAC school in year 3, and have a very happy crowd.  You can do that in year 1 and maybe year 2 as long as your seeing the product getting better on the field.  He has his QB now, not Pelini's.  His Qb is leading the nation in INT's.  His QB is giving up as many points for the other team, as we can score outselves outright on offense.  He has his players in alot of positions on the field, and were getting worse week to week.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

At the very least, he was the "cant win the big one" coach considering what he had. Media might not have helped him because the expectations rose but I don't think you can sit here and say he had no heat on him whatsoever

I'm sure all of the message board comments about Dabo were positive and full of understanding about how difficult it is to win.  If not for that support it's doubtful he'd have a NC.

Are you suggesting that you wouldn't take Dabo as our head coach right now over what we have?  If so, then your just arguing to argue.  Dabo might not be the greatest coach that ever lived or has ever coached in the ACC for that matter, but his players buy in, his staff buys in, and his administration has bought in.  Dabo also knows how to get great assistant coaches on his staff.  Thats also just as important as recruiting the players.

• Plus1 1

The next HC will recruit his own players for his team.  I don't care about losing some recruits because we fired a coach.  Some won't care who the coach is, some will.  That happens on about 10 power 5 teams a season on average.  All I can say is, it did not take Stoops more than 2 years for improvement, Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Kelly the same.  Leach at WASU..........

Not a personal attack on your opinion, its just that, an opinion.  There seems to be alot of those on this subject.  Most just wants to see this proud tradition restored to some respectable level.  That only happens with wins on the field.  Thats the bottom line.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Let's see Dabo......6 all Americans (3 in each of his first 3 years as HC)

5 Division wins

3 ACC conference wins

NC (played twice)

His real 3rd season he was 10-4

This was in the period of 8 years.  He was never on the hot seat.  you talk about an identity.  Clemson has it........

Not to mention coach of the year....

Riley won no conferences, no division, no NC and was coach of the Pac12 in 2010...

Oh and the weak conference argument?  how'd he do against OU, OSU and Bama?........He beat their collective a$$es..

Please stop trying to compare Dabo to anything Riley hasn't ever accomplished....

Okay...but one could easily argue that this is Riley's "true first year" right? Or is that not the case now because you actually follow this team?

6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Are you suggesting that you wouldn't take Dabo as our head coach right now over what we have?  If so, then your just arguing to argue.  Dabo might not be the greatest coach that ever lived or has ever coached in the ACC for that matter, but his players buy in, his staff buys in, and his administration has bought in.  Dabo also knows how to get great assistant coaches on his staff.  Thats also just as important as recruiting the players.

we KNOW coaching matters, look at what Frost has done at UCF in less than 2 years!

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

You can't lose to a MAC school in year 3, and have a very happy crowd.  You can do that in year 1 and maybe year 2 as long as your seeing the product getting better on the field.  He has his QB now, not Pelini's.  His Qb is leading the nation in INT's.  His QB is giving up as many points for the other team, as we can score outselves outright on offense.  He has his players in alot of positions on the field, and were getting worse week to week.  

This right here is what changed my mind about Riley. 1st year I’ll give anybody a pass especially with the divisive climate Pelini fostered. I got my hopes up 2nd year thinking things would have to get better with the improved recruiting and knowing that TA was not the type of QB they really desired and therefore couldn’t run the offense they wanted. Then year 3 hit....they’ve got the type of QB they want, they’re able to call the plays they want, they’ve shed bad ST and DC coaches and what has the result been? We’re headed in the wrong direction. The only thing more time for Riley will accomplish is more time until we start to see improvement.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

This right here is what changed my mind about Riley. 1st year I’ll give anybody a pass especially with the divisive climate Pelini fostered. I got my hopes up 2nd year thinking things would have to get better with the improved recruiting and knowing that TA was not the type of QB they really desired and therefore couldn’t run the offense they wanted. Then year 3 hit....they’ve got the type of QB they want, they’re able to call the plays they want, they’ve shed bad ST and DC coaches and what has the result been? We’re headed in the wrong direction. The only thing more time for Riley will accomplish is more time until we start to see improvement.

I know that you have to break some eggs to make an omelette...but I feel like Riley is not going to make the omelette 

17 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

No I would totally take him. But at nebraska, its not about this coach or that coach because its the same problems no matter who is there. Who is to say that Mike Riley couldn't get it done at Nebraska? because of his stint at OSU? Are we now saying that those two programs are the same? It goes back to a point I made with Russel Wilson and Tanner Lee. Russel Wilson has half the arm talent and had bad numbers at NC St, comes to Wisconsin and into that culture and his game takes off. Do you think it was because their O-coordinator was a QB whisperer?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Okay...but one could easily argue that this is Riley's "true first year" right? Or is that not the case now because you actually follow this team?

What do you mean?  He is in year 3!  He has been coaching for decades in some level or another as HC.  

I will give you one thing though,  this sure looks like his 1st year ever coaching football!

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

What do you mean?  He is in year 3!  He has been coaching for decades in some level or another as HC.  

I will give you one thing though,  this sure looks like his 1st year ever coaching football!

I don't actually have to spell out what I mean right? His true first year at Nebraska.

Correct me if I am wrong.   Coach Riley's recruits that are playing are Freshman and Redshirt Freshman.  And there seem to be a good number of them on the field.  That would indicate that the past staff left a shortage to draw from.

I really do not know if it is time for him to go, but I think firing him with only three years is unfair, to anyone.  We are playing Redshirt Freshman and Freshman, that would also indicate that the depth needed is not on board.  We may have stellar talent at some spots, but not enough to field two full teams.  We lost Saturday really for one reason and only one reason.  No depth to rotate fresh players in, that could do nearly as good of job as the starters.  That takes time to develop.  And any coach that has to play so many freshman has to have time to develop them and recruit the players for the upper class leaving.  We have few seniors starting, again that indicates a failure that was here when he got the job.  

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Right, with 5 star players in a weak conference. Dabo was on the hot seat for some time and it took him a decade to get it going while also always having top shelf talent. Maybe not the number one class but top 10-15 consistently and his top shelf players were elite. Facts.

This is his 9th year this year, won a NC in his 8th. That is still less than a decade right this moment.  Facts. 

• Plus1 1