Just an opinion

6 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

It goes back to a point I made with Russel Wilson and Tanner Lee. Russel Wilson has half the arm talent and had bad numbers at NC St, comes to Wisconsin and into that culture and his game takes off. Do you think it was because their O-coordinator was a QB whisperer?

You mean the guy that broke the all-time record of passes without an interception in his time at NC State? Really?

2 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You mean the guy that broke the all-time record of passes without an interception in his time at NC State? Really?

2 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez hold all our Qb records. That is not a good enough stat to even argue with.

Russel Wilson also had the advantage of playing for a team that was on National TV, just about every weekend.  NC-St was not.  Thats the difference.  Has nothing to do with culture of a program.

1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez hold all our Qb records. 

Except for wins and wins in conference title games.  The records that matter.

4 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez hold all our Qb records. 

13 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

It goes back to a point I made with Russel Wilson and Tanner Lee. Russel Wilson has half the arm talent and had bad numbers at NC St, comes to Wisconsin and into that culture and his game takes off. Do you think it was because their O-coordinator was a QB whisperer?

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Russel Wilson also had the advantage of playing for a team that was on National TV, just about every weekend.  NC-St was not.  Thats the difference.  Has nothing to do with culture of a program.

Except for wins and wins in conference title games.  The records that matter.

To your bit on Russel Wilson, you are flat out incorrect. The last point was only driving home my point...

The TA and TM reference was sarcasm.

Again though, go back and read what I said originally. This is the toxic crap I am talking about. If you cannot see that it is not squarely on a coach or players then take a step back and try to see it a different way. I know everyone is upset by the record and play. Trust me, I am too but I want to fix the issue and not just can guys while the issue continues to manifest.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

To your bit on Russel Wilson, you are flat out incorrect. The last point was only driving home my point...

The TA and TM reference was sarcasm.

Ok, I have one last point then I am done with this banter.  Winning is a culture.  There is no culture without winning.  Sure, Russel Wilson benefitted from multiple areas by attending Wisky for one season.  The biggest reason was being surrounded by better talent.  All of these things mattered.  He didn't even play for Cryst.  Were talking about a Super Bowl winning QB.  I think the talent was always there.  Thats why that staff at NC ST was let go as well.

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Ok, I have one last point then I am done with this banter.  Winning is a culture.  There is no culture without winning.  Sure, Russel Wilson benefitted from multiple areas by attending Wisky for one season.  The biggest reason was being surrounded by better talent.  All of these things mattered.  He didn't even play for Cryst.  Were talking about a Super Bowl winning QB.  I think the talent was always there.  Thats why that staff at NC ST was let go as well.

Not true, Winning is a by-product of culture. If winning is a culture than Nebraska would have 10 national championships and Solich would still be coaching here. Everything you said, indicates that you're missing the point.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Vince R. said:

There has to be some discussion of rallying and supporting these coaches and players. I know we all want glory and eventual championships. Trust me, I want it so bad. I do not see this negativity helping, a matter of fact, I see it making it worse. Calling for heads and bringing up new coaches is tough to deal with. Lets just be better than that.

If you were to ask me and this plagues so many programs, not just us, Nebraska's biggest problem is to get kids to play for, love, and cherish the University. When I went to the opener, I was so disappointed at the players during the tunnel walk. There is no enthusiasm to play or embrace that setting. This is a cultural problem all over the U.S.. Coaches can only do so much and it is hard to diagnose during the recruiting process. Wisconsin for example, takes players who can play but most importantly, buy into playing for Wisconsin, not the NFL. Wisconsin goes through a coaching carousel every two years but the culture remains the same.  Paul Chryst is not a genius. He just runs plays for guys who want to play and win for Wisconsin. Nebraska takes higher quality athletes yearly but treats them like they already have arrived, thus creating a mentally weak and toxic culture. Nebraska players are entitled because everything about Nebraska is big time.  Bo's issue was that he was bigger than the program to his players. So much so that his players literally took on his demeanor. The only exception in his tenure were that for two years he had such elite talent on one side, it bought him time until it would reveal itself. Suh despite everything pelini meant to him, played for Nebraska and it became infectious with the guys next to him. I mention Bo here not to revisit the past but to provide an example of how something becomes bigger than the Uni and the negative implications it has.

I am in the solutions business and I think Nebraska has to change how it sells itself and the mission it wants to accomplish. Target your competitors and say, we want to beat them. Nebraska has too much pride to admit that but they need to come to grips with saying, we need to beat Wisc and Iowa every year in order for it to be successful because that will put them in Indy. Not only that, but they have to be particular with what kind of athlete they recruit. Please, if you listen to Sharp and Benning, do not think that I stole this sentiment from them, because I have been saying this for years. Nebraska needs game changers yes, but they also need guys who will sell out and hold others accountable. They need alphas, cut stoppers, who only live to win. I think this staff knows that and I believe they may have found those guys in this class. 

People want an identity? Identity is not a scheme or style but a mentality. Hence why, this issue plagues multiple regimes and a plethora of players. 

Whoa, that was a highly intelligent and informed post. Are you sure you're in the right message board?  LOL

• Plus1 2

This message board was created for posters to share in conversation.  Anyone and everyone has an opinion on good old Nebraska football. Common goal is to see this program winning once again, with some national respect.  I think that is the thriving million dollar question.  Finding that anwer is, and has been the hard part.  Were no different than Alabama after Bear, OU after Switzer, Notre Dame after Holz, USC after Carroll, and so on.  It took those programs years, even some a decade or longer to right the ship.  When you get that shipped righted, man it looks like its awesome though!

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

What came first the chicken or the egg?  Its the same kind of suggestion as winning as a by product of culture.  You can't have one without the other.

I understand, but one could argue that Pelini was a step in the right direction culturally after callahan, thus a better team with the same players. I don't want to get into Pelini any more than that but you can see what I am trying to say. People just don't win out of nowhere. It starts somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Right but nobody can say that Scott Frost, Tanner Lee leaving, Fire Cav, Hire such and such posts are good for the program. We need to be better than that and have respect. It hurts us much more than benefits us. For example, you don't think the Cavanaugh speculation on these boards has played a huge role in his sudden lack of recruiting prowess this year? It absolutely has. What we say exists in a public forum and it gets out. What do you think happens when someone who has some knowledge in this program or in others gets a hold of these messages? It gets used. Trust me, I agree with your last sentence. I know but I prefer to operate with what I have and I think it is a tad early to say that Riley has no shot.

I honestly hope that recruits don't read this stupid board.