Sexism - It's a Real Thing

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/world-cup/equal-pay-womens-world-cup-players-seriously

There is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams:

"This years figures have not been released, but four years ago the Women's World Cup brought in almost $73 million. The 2010 Men's World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion. Those players got $348 million, or 9 percent of the total revenue. The women's team got a higher percentage with 13 percent, but the bottom line was still much less, $10 million."

Good lord that is a huge difference.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pay equality in something like basketball players is not as cut and dry as it seems. You can’t look at a player and say “she’s a pro basketball player so she should be making the same as the men”. The revenue the two leagues produce are no where close to the same. 

It it would be interesting to see what the revenue is like for the men’s and women’s soccer teams. 

Im assuming it’s much closer than men’s and women’s basketball. 

As I said - all things being equal (audience & revenue).

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The governing body/bodies of soccer aren't going to go out of business just to pay the Women's World Cup winners more.

The question if the women can be paid more is a valid question they are more than welcome to ask. But, the fact they aren’t paid what the men’s team is, is not evidence of sexism by itself. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t like watching female sports except when it’s a sport where the women are, or have to be, more skilled at the sport. And there aren’t many of those. Men are bigger/stronger/faster and when I watch sports I want to watch the people who are best at it. I think volleyball is one of the sports where women are better skilled, because the men are more able to just power the ball to the floor more often, whereas women need to use more finesse and skill, and it makes for a more enjoyable game.

Volleyball may be the pinnacle female sport. Totally agree that men's ball is boring to watch - they just muscle the ball to the floor and there isn't as much rally action. Women can do that, but the overall pace is slower, meaning more rallies, better action, better sports entertainment.

6 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Not to put words in your mouth landlord, but maybe to do so, and try to give you the benefit of the doubt.  I'd argue what you tried to express is that you prefer to listen to announcers that know what they're doing and are talented.  It has nothing to do with their genitalia.

That's definitely what I mean. But it seems there's a bit of a correlation/overlap of gender in regards to competency in sports announcing. I am NOT saying there is a causal relationship because I am convinced there isn't, I'm just saying that most of the women commentators on national networks aren't very good at their jobs imo. But it does not have anything to do with their sex or gender; there are plenty of terrible male commentators as well.

6 hours ago, NM11046 said:

And if there was a WNBA that drew as much audience and revenue as the NBA then the gals who play better damn well be compensated like the men.  Perhaps a better example of this is the following of womens soccer vs mens soccer and the difference in earnings which has been a very public battle the last few years.  Here's a group that performs better than the men and is paid ridiculously less for the work.

http://money.com/money/4277843/us-womens-soccer-equal-pay/

Hypothetically if they're drawing the same revenue then yes they should be compensated at the same rate and amount. But that doesn't really seem to happen pretty much anywhere. Even women's soccer, which I would agree has drastically outperformed men's comparative to it's competition, just doesn't really have the widespread consumer interest to drive up revenue.

• Fire 1

There is a female that announces MLB and I don't know her name. I have no problem listening to her.  I feel she is very knowledgable about the game.  In fact, if there is a fault, she goes over board on technical stuff.  I always felt that she is trying to over compensate for idiots that don't think a woman knows anything about baseball.  If I remember right, she played pro softball.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

This F'ng guy ...

That's....not even true. Like his 'evidence' isn't even real (obviously the conclusion is wrong). Black women are more economically self sufficient? Uh, check out the rates of welfare over the last 50 years.

• 3 weeks later...

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting. The state that has legal prostitution and their largest city promotes women’s bodies and sex everywhere. 

I understand what you're saying about the promotion of asthetics and the female form  - but if a woman chooses to be a sex worker that's her choice.  In that way the state is consistent.

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...the doctored video is total trash and it's just one more piece of evidence that the Republicans (Trump) have no moral high ground to stand on.  But......How is it sexist?

Likely because they haven't had the cajones to edit and share anything with a male center stage.  Why not Schumer?  They are threatened by women and actively attempt to belittle them and harm their character and qualifications.

Whether people will admit it or not, there is already a bias against women in leadership, particularly in politics.  This just amplifies/works to confirm that bias.

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Likely because they haven't had the cajones to edit and share anything with a male center stage.  Why not Schumer?  They are threatened by women and actively attempt to belittle them and harm their character and qualifications.

Whether people will admit it or not, there is already a bias against women in leadership, particularly in politics.  This just amplifies/works to confirm that bias.

It has its roots in religion. My girlfriend has really been struggling with her faith because she has been discouraged from leadership from some religious friends. As we've done some digging there is a strong culture of this within religion despite the fact its a muddy subject at best in the bible. It's been an interesting journey.

• Thanks 2