Sexism - It's a Real Thing

Years ago, my best friend chose me to be godfather for her first child, and because they are Catholic we had to attend a godparent seminar at the church. The fact that I wasn't Catholic didn't seem to matter. 

It was a Saturday afternoon and there were probably 30 people -- parents and respective godparents -- and the priest started to hold forth on the role of parenting and gender in the kind of monotone of someone who's done this forever. But pretty soon the young parents started interrupting, and challenged the Priest on pretty much every antiquated and sexist practice of the church. They were just there to please their parents, and held the priest in no elevated esteem. I almost felt sorry for the guy, but it was clear that if the church insisted on subjugation and selective guilt, they were going to lose the entire generation, and deservedly so.   

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Women can't be Priests, but I haven't heard the rest mentioned in my church....since....well....sometime back in the 80s.  Not saying other churches aren't different.

Women can’t be deacons or elders in my mom’s church in addition to not being allowed to be pastors. They can serve refreshments, watch the young kids, teach sunday school, be in the band, or be employed as an administrative assistant.

I know you’re saying others can be different. I have a feeling my mom’s church is more typical though. 

One thing that makes no sense to me is if God created us, why did he make women smarter than men (in general) and then say they should be subserviant to their husbands? And it’s just plain stupid to only pick from half the population to run a church or any organization.

The thing about women being smarter was a joke btw. Just thought I’d see if anyone was paying attention.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is the rhetoric my girlfriend is getting right now. At first she was very discouraged but I told her to do her own research and look at the Word for herself rather than others interpretations. She since that point has discovered alot of stories of women leading in the Bible and other scripture that conflicts with the notion women shouldn't lead. 

Priscilla is prominently noted in the New Testament as a leader of the early church. There were several "deaconesses" mentioned by Paul as well.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Women can't be Priests, but I haven't heard the rest mentioned in my church....since....well....sometime back in the 80s.  Not saying other churches aren't different.

Overwhelming majority of evangelicalism believes in complimentarianism where women essentially are "equal" but not designed for roles of leadership. Not in the house, not in the church, not at all. They're meant to submit and be servants. But that's equal.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I texted my buddy the other day and asked him what he was doing (He is a big soccer fan because his son plays) and he replied:

"Watching the World Cup, come on over, I have beer"

I was bored so I figured why not, he lives 2 minutes from me...I got there and walked in...I sat down and he got me a beer and we were chatting...15 minutes later I looked at him and said "Oh, women's world cup?" and he said "Yep!  The men don't play until _________" and then we changed the subject...and the station. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Not really sexism...I would have made him change it if the men were playing as well.

Soccerism maybe?

You went over to watch what you thought was men's soccer and then turned it off because it was women's. At least that's what you said. :dunno

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You went over to watch what you thought was men's soccer and then turned it off because it was women's. At least that's what you said. :dunno

Here is the quote:  "Oh, women's world cup?" and he said "Yep!  The men don't play until _________" and then we changed the subject...and the station. 

You INFERRED that we changed it because it was women...which probably means you have some deep raging issues inside.  

We changed the station because we wanted to watch a live performance of Swan Lake that happened to be on as well.  Then we found a special on Alan Alda. 

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Here is the quote:  "Oh, women's world cup?" and he said "Yep!  The men don't play until _________" and then we changed the subject...and the station. 

You INFERRED that we changed it because it was women...which probably means you have some deep raging issues inside.  

We changed the station because we wanted to watch a live performance of Swan Lake that happened to be on as well.  Then we found a special on Alan Alda. 

I didn't have to infer anything. Go back and read what comes before "Oh, women's world cup?"

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Cant decide if this is a pathetic attempt at a cya or a sad attempt to be funny.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't have to infer anything. Go back and read what comes before "Oh, women's world cup?"

Before it?  Sure..."Here is the quote:"

That is what is before it.

So once again, you inferred it because well...

7 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Cant decide if this is a pathetic attempt at a cya or a sad attempt to be funny.  

Want me to help you out?

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Before it?  Sure..."Here is the quote:"

That is what is before it.

So once again, you inferred it because well...

Want me to help you out?

Because you were originally going to the house to watch soccer in the first place until it was womens soccer. Come on dude.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1