Sexism - It's a Real Thing

17 hours ago, Landlord said:

Attitudes in America among Muslims are changing, yes. A trend has nothing to do with current percentage disparity, and I didn't say anything to the contrary. The wiki comparison number (which I can't find the specific source of) is only among Protestants. It's unclear if that includes evangelicals, but it doesn't include Catholics, Orthodox Christians or any other sects of Christianity which would make that number presumably rise. 

Even all that aside, that's just the prevailing sentiments among citizens. Actual institutional embracing of this stuff is slower, which is why I brought up LGBTQ friendly mosques. You can have gay weddings in lots of churches all over the place. There's maybe two mosques in America where that would be safe and allowed. Obviously there are far fewer muslims and fewer mosques overall, but then again, I wasn't only referring to America with my first claim anyways (sorry if that wasn't clear).

The linked article says the current percentage is similar. :dunno

It looks more like you want it to be true in order to make a point about criticizing minorities than the data suggests is true.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:02 AM, Landlord said:

but liberal ideology loves to take potshots at American Christian religion and churches and all their ills

I don't remember having read much, if anything, about liberals that matter having an issue with what happens internally at churches. I'm sure with your every day liberal, but that's not really the topic. I don't recall any liberals in positions of power talking about it or having the goal of doing anything about it. Not saying it hasn't happened, but it's not something I've heard.

What makes headlines is when they take issue with Christians discriminating against gays in non religious settings and using their religion as the excuse for it. Maybe you have examples of the former, but if not I don't think the comparison of churches to mosques is all that relevant.

I would also add that that you're not going to hear much talk against Muslims by default of Muslims not being in politics in large numbers. 2018 was the first time any were in the House or Senate, and I would guess 99% of the House and Senate are made up of people who say they're Christian, and many of those openly talk about making their decisions based on that Christianity. I feel murderous when I think of female genital mutilation and I think any doctor in the U.S. who does it should go to jail for as long as rapists should go to jail (I say should because we're often too lenient when it comes to rape), but as far as I know there aren't Muslim politicians in the U.S. saying it's an okay practice, so there are no people in power to fight against over it.

Where you would have a point is if there are examples of Muslims being defended even when they're doing things liberals would be against a Christian for. Maybe that has happened with Omar although I know some Democrats have spoken against some of her comments.

• Plus1 1

Another thing I'd like to add to the above is, maybe more Muslims believe in everything about their book, including the sexist stuff, but I would wager they are a lot less likely to act on it in the U.S. where it impacts people who aren't also Muslim, because it's much more dangerous for them to do so. They're in the minority, and a minority that is hated by a lot of people. Christians aren't limited by the same problem. They can do something wrong and then thousands/millions of other Christians within the U.S. jump to their defense.

I have a nitpick with NASA on their plans for going to the moon, even though I think the intention is good.

They say they will send a woman to the moon within 5 years. But when you announce something like that there is something unspoken implied, which is that you are going to send a woman even if she's not one of the most qualified X people available for the mission, because that's what you said you would do. The first moon landing had 3 people, and currently 12 of the 38 astronauts at NASA are women. It stands to reason that 1 of the 12 women likely would have been sent to the moon based merely on her qualifications. But now it's going to look to some people like she went to the moon because NASA decided to send a woman to the moon ahead of time.

The best way to go about this if they wanted to talk about sending a woman to the moon was to say there are many capable female astronauts in the program right now, so there is a high probability that at least 1 woman will go on the next mission to the moon due to being one of the top choices for the available spots.

There was an NYT article a few days ago which I haven't read but I know the topic, which was about how no women went on the early missions. But the root problem back then wasn't that they didn't pick any women to go to the moon, it was that NASA didn't hire female astronauts. They didn't pick women because they didn't hire any in the first place. They've fixed that since then, hiring the first female astronauts in 1981, so picking a woman for the next moon mission likely would have happened anyway, without making it sound like we're doing it that way just to send a woman there.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The linked article says the current percentage is similar. 

There is no 'article' linked in the first place, there's a wikipedia page and pew research pages with polling surveys. Even so, the wikipedia quote you referenced says the percentage is similar between United States Muslims as a whole and Protestants. Protestants are only one slice of Christianity. I'm not sure how to exactly do the math on absorbing the Protestant numbers into all of United States Christianity as a whole, but it would raise the number on that side, especially if that qualification for protestant includes evangelicalism.

I'm also not sure what to make of the disparity between the wikipedia sourced page on pew research showing 52% U.S. Muslim belief that homosexuality should be accepted compared to Pew's own page with the data that shows 45% think it should be accepted.

Conservatives think moderate Muslims need to do a better job of distancing themselves from jihadists and repressive theocrats. Arch-conservatives don't think moderate Muslims even exist. Liberals fear that by criticizing whatever percentage of Muslims who support appalling human rights policies, it will play into the hands of right wing xenophobes. It's easier to put your energy into a Chik-fil-A boycott. In fairness, that's the tool at your disposal. 

The difference between opposing gay marriage and executing homosexuals is not insignificant. 

These are generalities, but they're not untrue. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/9/2019 at 6:19 PM, teachercd said:

I disagree that satire is wrong. The satire The Onion provides is a necessary part of the public discourse.