Sexism - It's a Real Thing

5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I don't really understand why you're reacting as if you've been attacked.

I do. It's because there can be consequences for a White Male to be perceived to be racist, so our guard is up for anything even remotely like it.  Nobody is attacking BRB and he didn't mean anything by his initial post about Vijay, but we almost have to over-clarify ourselves on every side to remove even the hint of odiousness.  It's a drag.

The reason I pointed out that Vijay Singh isn't "black" is because you seemed to making the argument of "I can't believe a black man who has suffered from racism, could turn around and be sexist."  Well, due to the fact that Singh is from Indian heritage from Fiji, I don't know how much racism he has suffered from.

Also, I don't think that sexism is contained to white males, I am sure there are plenty of black, Asian, and other ethnicity/races of males that can be sexist.

It's cool that Vijay considers himself black. I know of dark-skinned Indians who wouldn't. To them, for example, "walking into a restaurant and being assumed to be black by Americans" (of which they might be one, incidentally!) is the real drag, and an everyday one, and not a one-off defense to an imagined attack. 

I think it's only fair to make an effort to clarify if it looks like someone's identity was reduced or mistaken. I thought it was also clear that we were not calling BRB racist, but if the burden is upon us to clarify every time a response is made to a white man's unprompted comments on race, I'm happy to do so.

But to BRB's point: yes, you'd think that people who probably have faced their own stigmas of varying kinds would be more sympathetic when they see the same thing happening to someone else. This clearly isn't the case, though, and Vijay is a great example of that. Or to cite another one, Cam, who has always been an advocate for the black athlete in the US and black quarterbacks specifically in the NFL against all the traditional, racially tinged doubts about his smarts. You'd expect him to not double down when he makes a blatantly sexist comment, and then be stunned and humbled by the overwhelming criticism he then got. But it was actually news to him.

Racism, sexism, the various interactions thereof, these things are not exclusive to any one group. That's a valuable observation, and thank you to BRB and ColoradoHusk for raising it in this thread.

55 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

KAC is truly a gross person. I say that completely without regard to her gender. She's just a shameless money-grubber, it appears, for whom no lie is a bridge too far.

TBH, she's no different than any of that group in the Trump admin and campaign.

• Plus1 1

Politics reporter for the Washington Examiner:

A tip: if you're in that scenario as one of the "friends", the proper response isn't to Billy Bush it. You should call out your buddy and apologize. And maybe wonder why you're buddies with a guy who gets a kick out of sexual assault.

• Plus1 2

Speaking of Barstool ... not sure if this made the news nationally, but here in Boston it did:

I understand that on a show like SNL this might be necessary due to the brainstorming and trial and error they go thru in a week.  But doesn't Barstool present themselves as a Sports News type outfit?  

Edited by NM11046
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Speaking of Barstool ... not sure if this made the news nationally, but here in Boston it did:

I understand that on a show like SNL this might be necessary due to the brainstorming and trial and error they go thru in a week.  But doesn't Barstool present themselves as a Sports News type outfit?  

That does seem odd for a sports outlet. Like you said, I could easily see this being a disclaimer for a movie studio or something (South Park comes to mind) where they put everything on the table for the sake of story, satire etc. But Barstool Sports?