Sexism - It's a Real Thing

Here is a funny, yet maddening, anecdote pertaining to sexism and why it is real...

Years ago I was working in a call center doing tech support for a major wireless company, let's call them Horizon.  I was working under my female name and I have perfected (through years of practice) my soft, female voice, so I sound exactly like a cis woman.

Long story short, I take a call from a guy who is having trouble...

In my soft, feminine, voice I tell him EXACTLY what to do to fix his problem.  He scoffs at me and asks if I could transfer him to a man who knows what he is talking about.

(Okay...inside my head at this point I am livid and want to rip this a-holes head off)

So, I tell him to please hold and I will transfer him.  I make the disclaimer known that while I am transferring him, he may get another female representative as call are answered in the order received by the first available agent.

He says fine, just get me to speak with a man.

So I put him on hold...

I wait about about 1 minute, then answer the phone with my "male" voice.  I told him the exact same thing, it fixed his device, and he was happy.

He closed out the conversation telling me, "Well what do you know, the woman I was talking to before you actually knew what she was talking about.  Usually women are morons."

I wanted to go through the phone line and stick a knife into his neck.

Instead I told him that our female reps receive the exact same training as the male reps do and maybe next time he should listen to what she has to say.

(Side note...that call got QA'd and I got called into the call center manager's office along with my team lead.  They both were laughing at the guy and commended me on how I handled the situation.)

So yeah...just thought I'd share that.  

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Here is a funny, yet maddening, anecdote pertaining to sexism and why it is real...

Years ago I was working in a call center doing tech support for a major wireless company, let's call them Horizon.  I was working under my female name and I have perfected (through years of practice) my soft, female voice, so I sound exactly like a cis woman.

Long story short, I take a call from a guy who is having trouble...

In my soft, feminine, voice I tell him EXACTLY what to do to fix his problem.  He scoffs at me and asks if I could transfer him to a man who knows what he is talking about.

(Okay...inside my head at this point I am livid and want to rip this a-holes head off)

So, I tell him to please hold and I will transfer him.  I make the disclaimer known that while I am transferring him, he may get another female representative as call are answered in the order received by the first available agent.

He says fine, just get me to speak with a man.

So I put him on hold...

I wait about about 1 minute, then answer the phone with my "male" voice.  I told him the exact same thing, it fixed his device, and he was happy.

He closed out the conversation telling me, "Well what do you know, the woman I was talking to before you actually knew what she was talking about.  Usually women are morons."

I wanted to go through the phone line and stick a knife into his neck.

Instead I told him that our female reps receive the exact same training as the male reps do and maybe next time he should listen to what she has to say.

(Side note...that call got QA'd and I got called into the call center manager's office along with my team lead.  They both were laughing at the guy and commended me on how I handled the situation.)

So yeah...just thought I'd share that.  

Remind me not piss you off and always give your posts a +1!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....I understand what this tweet is saying. But, Kim has literally made millions by purposely sensationalizing her ass. This isn’t some random professional woman who the paper decided to say this about. 

It's still a dumb headline, not because it may or may not be sexist, but just plain disrespectful.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 7:33 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....I understand what this tweet is saying. But, Kim has literally made millions by purposely sensationalizing her ass. This isn’t some random professional woman who the paper decided to say this about. 

Help me understand why this is ok to be published as a headline for her and wouldn't be for "some professional woman".  How is this different from the argument that a woman who dresses provacatively "asks" to be sexually assaulted?

On 6/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Pardon me if I’m not upset that Kim Kardashian isn’t getting enough respect. 

You don't have to be upset - but you shouldn't justify it's because of her history and level of the publics' awareness of her.