Sexism - It's a Real Thing

1 minute ago, Fru said:

Here's his exact quote. 

"Girls are taught from grade school ... that what is most honorable in life is a career, and their ultimate goal in life is simply to be able to grow up and be independent of anyone or anything. But nobody has seemed to ask the question that I think is critically important to ask: Is that a healthy pursuit for society? Is that the healthiest pursuit for our homes? ... Is that the healthiest pursuit for the sexes in our generation?"

He believes it's critical to ask whether or not it's healthy for girls to grow up to be independent. 

Again. Sounds sexist to me. 

Again....I've sat through weddings where the minister talks about how the man can't live the fullest life living alone.  He needs the woman in his life to help him through life.

I've sat through sermons on Father's Day weekend where the minister talks about how too many fathers are self absorbed and don't believe their focus needs to be at home.

Were all of those comments sexist towards men?

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Again....I've sat through weddings where the minister talks about how the man can't live the fullest life living alone.  He needs the woman in his life to help him through life.

I've sat through sermons on Father's Day weekend where the minister talks about how too many fathers are self absorbed and don't believe their focus needs to be at home.

Were all of those comments sexist towards men?

Sure, maybe, I don't know. I wasn't there. I didn't link a tweet to an article about weddings and sermons you sat thru. 

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I say this as a Christian: I'm done with any candidate that stumps on the Bible. 

There's separation of Church and State for a reason. 

Amen. Pun intended. 

If a church wants to have political influence, then maybe they can start paying taxes 

• Plus1 3

On 7/7/2018 at 12:11 AM, Cdog923 said:

I say this as a Christian: I'm done with any candidate that stumps on the Bible. 

There's separation of Church and State for a reason. 

Agree....if you are truly a Christian the way Christ intended, you don’t need to tell me. 

Show me by your actions and stop thinking God has ordained you his savior to the country. 

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You know, this never even occured to me but it’s really astute so I’m putting it in 2 topics. I don’t like it when people talk about “the patriarchy” but really, women were burned alive for acting “hysterical” and we all know who the victims of actual lynch mobs were. So ya, use different words.

The image contains the F word.

35481235_1169288616544819_23874539806124

• Plus1 3

This is the motherf***ing president.

"It is a very scary time for young men in America, where you can be guilty of something you may not be guilty of," Trump said. "This is a very, very -- this is a very difficult time. What's happening here has much more to do than even the appointment of a Supreme Court justice."

Yes. Let’s worry about and focus on the miniscule # of false assault claims and not about the people who are too scared to come forward after being raped. The latter is a much, much bigger population, and they are also under represented.

I’ve never been a feminazi but this president and these GOP senators are making me want there to be an 80/20 split of female senators in the other direction. They seem incapable of empathy unless you’re a White male.

• Plus1 2

So, my favorite book series is The Wheel of Time, and my favorite character in that series is Moiraine. As the story progresses through 14 books, I would say she's a secondary character. But in the first book she's one of 7 main characters and she was the one many people found the most interesting, including myself. She's also the one who can do "magic." If I was creating a TV show, I might have her as the main character in the beginning because she is meeting 5 of the characters for the first time. She is a good character to be the eyes of the audience. OTOH she was really mysterious in the beginning, so maybe she should be seen through the eyes of those 5. But those are the 2 obvious choices for how to frame it, and neither is necessarily wrong.

Also, The Wheel of Time has, by far, more important female characters than any fantasy series I've ever read. The most important 3 characters are men, the next 2 are women. And probably 70% of the rest are women.

So Variety came out with this article yesterday about the TV series.

Amazon Orders Female-Driven Fantasy Series ‘The Wheel of Time’

Amazon Studios has ordered “The Wheel of Time,” an action fantasy series based on Robert Jordan’s bestselling fantasy novels, which have sold more than 90 million copies worldwide. Rafe Judkins (“Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”) adapted the material into a series and serves as showrunner.

Set in an epic world where magic exists but only women can use it, “The Wheel of Time” follows Moiraine, a member of the shadowy and influential all-female organization called the “Aes Sedai,” as she embarks on a dangerous journey with five young men and women across the world. Moiraine is interested in these five “because she believes one of them might be the reincarnation of an incredibly powerful individual, who prophecies say will either save humanity or destroy it,” Amazon said in a statement.

and some Wheel of Time fans have gone insane:

Why did they have to bring sex into it? This series is "female-driven" in the same way that a cat drives a car. One of the strengths of the series is that it doesn't play politics. Only Variety can take good news like this and totally screw it up by trying to turn us against each other. Otherwise, I am super excited!

I hope they don't ruin. The female driven part has me worried that it will be ruined by political b.s. the article talks all about moraine, who wasn't one of the leading characters.

Nothing like changing the entire storyline to fit your agendas....

SJWs ruin everything - they will make Mat gay or bi. Egwene will be black or asian. Rand will be a weepy emo soy-boy. Lan will be struggling with self esteem.

Sexist people like to use words like "politics" "agenda" and "SJW" as a shield. It's a way to be sexist without being blatant about it.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

So, my favorite book series is The Wheel of Time, and my favorite character in that series is Moiraine. As the story progresses through 14 books, I would say she's a secondary character. But in the first book she's one of 7 main characters and she was the one many people found the most interesting, including myself. She's also the one who can do "magic." If I was creating a TV show, I might have her as the main character in the beginning because she is meeting 5 of the characters for the first time. She is a good character to be the eyes of the audience. OTOH she was really mysterious in the beginning, so maybe she should be seen through the eyes of those 5. But those are the 2 obvious choices for how to frame it.

Also, The Wheel of Time has a higher # and % of important female characters than any fantasy series I've ever read. The most important 3 characters are men, the next 2 are women. And probably 70% of the rest are women.

So Variety came out with this article yesterday about the TV series.

Amazon Orders Female-Driven Fantasy Series ‘The Wheel of Time’

and some Wheel of Time fans have gone insane:

The quote from Amazon that has these people upset is exactly what happens in the actual books. The Aes Sedai were all-female for reasons that are part of the history of that world.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The quote from Amazon that has these people upset is exactly what happens in the actual books. The Aes Sedai were all-female for reasons that are part of the history of that world.

Actually, it's what makes the story good. Women are in charge. Women are allowed to do something (magic) that men aren't. It's the biggest driver of the story and why you care about the male characters so much. It's something for the dudes to fight against. It creates antagonists that are sometimes worse than the bad guys. It's what makes a character like Elaida exist.

Female-driven might not be the perfect way to say it, but people are complaining over something super unimportant.

I had issues too, but the politics comments are so far off base.

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Actually, it's what makes the story good. Women are in charge. Women are allowed to do something (magic) that men aren't. It's the biggest driver of the story and why you care about the male characters so much. It's something for the dudes to fight against. It creates antagonists that are sometimes worse than the bad guys. It's what makes a character like Elaida exist.

Female-driven might not be the perfect way to say it, but people are complaining over something super unimportant.

I had issues too, but the politics comments are so far off base.

I'm not sure if that's what makes the story good, but it's important to the plot as the men have specific reasons why they cannot use magic. And the more interesting thing to me is that it portrays that just putting women in charge isn't necessarily any better than the men being in charge, so the people complaining about it actually have the reasons backwards.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure if that's what makes the story good, but it's important to the plot as the men have specific reasons why they cannot use magic. And the more interesting thing to me is that it portrays that just putting women in charge isn't necessarily any better than the men being in charge, so the people complaining about it actually have the reasons backwards.

If the men had only to worry about going crazy and not about women hunting them down I think the story would be a whole lot different. Although maybe one existing without the other doesn’t make any sense. Aes Sedai would’ve had to do something about people getting killed. So I guess I change my mind to it just being that they go crazy that is one of the most important parts of the story. That’s what puts them below women in the hierarchy, and is kind or a natural reaction. 

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Speaking of which:

Tam, his face only a little less composed than usual, drew the Mayor close, but before he could speak Ewin Finngar burst out.
“He’ll go mad and die! In the stories, men who channel the Power always go mad, and then waste away and die. Only women can touch it. Doesn’t he know that?” He ducked under a cuff from Master Buie.