Sexism - It's a Real Thing

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ll admit that it would be easier to take her seriously without the hats. 

But, that has nothing to do with her being a woman. 

And....Donny JR is an idiot. 

I agree, I don't get the hats.  The same can be said for the former Milwaukee sheriff (I can't think of his name and don't care to look).

Every interaction Trump has with anyone makes me feel weird. He's just got a very odd dialect and word choice. I'm thinking some of it is age-related... if you watch clips when he was younger, he was much more articulate and coherent sounding. Now it's like he's grasping for the right words but can't find them, so he just wedges whatever is available in his limited RAM into sentences and they wind up sounding not quite right.

I'm assuming some of it also stems from the fact he's spent his entire adult lift talking to most people not in a peer-to-peer sense but more frequently in a boss-subordinate sense.

• Plus1 1

An interesting take on the phrase 'mansplaining.'

One of the problems with simplistic terms like this, however, is that their ease of use and humour risk diluting any message. They become an easy-to-mouth solution for a more complicated problem, and this one quickly took on more pejorative meanings. It became a go-to phrase for mumbled or garbled explanations and the trump card in arguments, but this sort of overuse just desensitises us to the real issue which is that, yes, some men really do talk down to women.

It reeks of gender essentialism – the idea that specific physical, social and cultural traits are native to a particular gender. It may be satisfying, refreshing, even empowering, to give men a hard time, but I can’t help imagine how I would feel if faced with similar accusations – “womanterrupting” or “womansplaining” for example. It would be degrading.

LINK