Ticket prices falling?

Saunders

Definitely a familiar feeling. I remember in 2007, I went to quite a few games for free/cheap because of how easy it was to find tickets. 

Depending on how bad things get this year, we might see a bunch of season tickets open up next year. Although, the off-season usually generates a ton of hype with signing day and the spring game.

The university might notice how cheap the tickets are going for, but they won't feel the pain yet. With that said, an empty stadium versus a quality opponent is definitely going to create a lot of pressure from the top.

A blowout this weekend could cause a serious meltdown.

4 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Not if they do a b******* of Memorial Stadium. 

Seriously though...how bad is it going to look if half the stadium is tOSU fans? And is it enough to pull the trigger on Riley mid-season?

pulling Riley mid season won't accomplish anything......he might as well finish out. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Yes, immediately after Wisconsin discovered in the second half that Nebraska's offensive playbook is drawn in crayon and has unicorn and rainbow stickers all over it. 

I knew it!  Should've rolled with the root beer scratch n sniff ones!  Orange is also acceptable.

3 hours ago, Frost Advisory said:

Even at these prices it's just not worth going to watch a Riley coached team.  This is why we need a new coaching staff.  Gotta have somebody to breathe some excitement back into the program.

I would go in a heartbeat if I could get to Lincoln. Always worth it to cheer on the Huskers 

This will be the thing that does Riley in moreso than W-L record.

I'm not implying that this isn't impacted by that, but if Riley went 6-6 and people were still showing out the way they always do, there's a decent chance he'd have another year. If he goes 6-6 with half the stadium empty in the back half of the season, that seems like a death sentence.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, junior4949 said:

What are the odds that every game being on tv will eventually be the demise of the sellout streak?  Personally, I'd rather watch the games from home or at a friends house in the comfort of that home with beer in hand than actually go to the game.  I've had great seats, and I've had seats up in the nosebleed section.  At home, it seems like I always have great seats.  When I was in college, we played for a NC every year.  Even though I had season tickets, I attended less than one third of the home games.  Of course, I'm also the kind that prefers buying stuff online rather than having to go to the store.  I just wonder as we go into the future how many more fans would just rather stay home and watch on tv?

Money from every game being on TV, that drives the entire economy of sports, is more the demise than the TV itself. There is an atmosphere you simply can't replace, but if you're going to charge thousands for a product then that product better be desirable. It's fair for some would be attendees to say that the product hasn't delivered. 

Convenience is sort of a weird thing in regards to sales. Online connectivity has made video game sales high, yet the missing social interactions of being next to the other player has helped people rediscover board gaming. The unmatched convenience of ebooks should have driven paper books away, yet it can't. Same for music streaming and vinyl. There is just something to be said for factors other than convenience. While TV has similar convenience to these other things, you can't match the deafening roar of the crowd on a kickoff return at home like you can at the stadium.

• Plus1 1
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, 4skers89 said:

I was curious what club seats are like.  It's indoors right?  Do they have a bar nearby?  Are the drinks free? Wait staff?  What kind of food?  I really don't know.  If you're warm and dry indoors it would be easy to have a good time without being distracted by the game.  Friends and I would go to a minor league baseball game on cheap beer night.  We barely noticed when the game was over and had no clue who was winning.

Even if I went to the Saltdogs game for cheap beer, I would still have a moment of silence to honor those little dogs who packed the salt to the passing pioneers. Some of the summer concerts at Pinewood Bowl are the same way....so-so band, great atmosphere.

16 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Definitely a familiar feeling. I remember in 2007, I went to quite a few games for free/cheap because of how easy it was to find tickets. 

Depending on how bad things get this year, we might see a bunch of season tickets open up next year. Although, the off-season usually generates a ton of hype with signing day and the spring game.

The university might notice how cheap the tickets are going for, but they won't feel the pain yet. With that said, an empty stadium versus a quality opponent is definitely going to create a lot of pressure from the top.

A blowout this weekend could cause a serious meltdown.

I don't think it's a meltdown anymore....more like apathy or disinterest. Still plenty of interest in volleyball tickets.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

The good news is the tickets have been sold once.  The bad news is that back to back night games AND poor weather could make this a game where it looks like a lot of fans decided to stay home.

I think if we lose by 1 score to Wisconsin, the fans would be a little more optimistic about this one.  Combine that with the above and it makes it a tough one to go to.  I think the attendance might be better if it was a 2:30 game when you factor in the weather.

I would go if I didn't have other obligations before gametime, but I also have places to stay in Lincoln for free.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

The good news is the tickets have been sold once.  The bad news is that back to back night games AND poor weather could make this a game where it looks like a lot of fans decided to stay home.

This.  I'm going, but it feels like how Church feels sometimes) ... an obligation...and I'm probably going to leave after communion (sorry Father).  Last weekend it took 90 min to get out of our lot.  I didn't get home until close to 2 am.  I actually had thoughts of "Why am I doing this?" - which would be inconceivable to 15 year old me, who always wanted season tickets.  And that's the big worry, I think.  I'm a mid 30s young-ish professional, Nebraska native, who is fortunate enough to have some disposable income, that also has multiple little impressionable kids who for now love going to games with dad.  I know I'm not unique.  The very real risk is if they lose my generation, they will lose the next as well. 

Or maybe I'm just being dramatic, because winning will fix about anything.