NM11046

Racism - It's a real thing.

I wonder too Zeke - hoping to find some time to dig for that today.  I am sure there are data out there, but probably not taken on at a national level (i.e. done in smaller scale by think tanks or something).  I'm thinking the Indian population isn't as prevalent here but wonder if another nationality slips in at that level (hispanic?).

Tried pasting it again and because its a PDF the same thing happens.  If you open the article above there are several working links in it.  Sorry.

I didn't read the report, but I read the summary in the article.

I find it interesting that it seems like many minorities are more likely to advance in education and more likely to volunteer....etc.  White British males are less likely to go to University.  But, minorities are more likely to be in poverty.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:36 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I didn't read the report, but I read the summary in the article.

I find it interesting that it seems like many minorities are more likely to advance in education and more likely to volunteer....etc.  White British males are less likely to go to University.  But, minorities are more likely to be in poverty.

#whiteprivilege 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/16/birth-of-a-white-supremacist?currentPage=all

In hindsight, he now says, he was always more wary of African-Americans and Jews than he let on. “I noticed these differences, even when I didn’t necessarily put emphasis on them or think that they were socially deterministic,” he said. He spoke freely about his “intense, personal antipathy for Jews,” but insisted that he did not hate black people: “I just feel sorry for them and see them as a social problem.” I asked how to square this with the fact that he had a black brother. “He’s only a quarter black,” he responded.

And...

A few times, I tried to ask another obvious question: If you never liked Jews, why did you marry one? The first time, he sighed and then said, “I don’t really know.” The next time it came up, he said, “Jews have certain physical features that I don’t think are particularly attractive. She didn’t have those. I thought she was very pretty.” Nor did she exhibit what he considered typical Jewish traits: “The pushiness, this absolute inability to empathize with others, an exploitative personality. She didn’t have any of that.”

Parts of this story are familiar to anyone who's been on the internet. Others are really hard to understand. Do give it a read.

The always eloquent Ta-Nehisi Coates. Please do read if you aren't already on board: https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/9/16627900/ta-nehisi-coates-n-word

I think the most meaningful line in here is: "Most importantly, I don't have a desire to do it." If you do have that desire, perhaps there are some serious questions you should be asking yourself.

14 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

https://www.essence.com/news/jazzy-rowes-roommate-brianna-brochu-no-hate-crime-charges

Been following this story for awhile, and to me it is appalling this girl didn't get charged with a hate crime. What she did was downright evil and cowardly. 

Despite Rowe providing text messages and other evidence to support her claims that her former roommate smeared used feminine products on her backpack, mixing molded clam dip into her lotion and referring to her as "Jamaican Barbie", among other things, Brochu's lawyer Tom Stevens maintains that her actions were not racially motivated.

Wut?

This story is absolutely sick. I agree with you.

Put the shoe on the other foot. Let's say it is a black girl doing this to a white girl & just straight up calls her "Barbie." 

What would the prosecutorial response? What would the media response be?

I guarantee you Fox News would be going full-tilt insane. This is why people maintain (rightfully so) that all races are not on equal footing in modern America.

• Plus1 1

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Politics makes for strange bedfellows -- especially when you choose your allies based on mutual hatred. From https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dpwamv/when-malcolm-x-met-the-nazis-0000620-v22n4

Overt anti-Semitism, it turned out, was something the two groups could bond over. While Rockwell pushed his hatred of Jews to frothy extremes, Muhammad backed a range of racist theories, including the hoax that the Jews had financed the slave trade. (Malcolm X was cagier about his anti-Semitism, often deferring to Muhammad's conspiracy theories rather than offering his own.) [...]

Division of the races was another mutual bugbear. Malcolm X's speech that night was titled "Separation or Death." Inside the arena, Rockwell told reporters, "I am fully in concert with their program, and I have the highest respect for Elijah Muhammad." The question of where to send America's blacks—the NOI wanted a chunk of the US, while the ANP wanted a full deportation to Africa—was, he said, his only quarrel with the Muslims. 

This wasn't quite true. The Nazis and NOI also disagreed over whether black people were human beings

:o 

I think this underscores the importance of priorities and also clear eyed-ness. We have to be able to grasp what is more of a problem facing us today -- for example, obviously, yes, discrimination can happen to white people, sexual abuse can happen to men, and so on. Where confusion sets in is when the minor issue becomes viewed as the larger issue, or worse, when efforts to combat the larger issue are seen as not only exclusionary but actively working against the larger issue. And so, the oppressor becomes the oppressed.

:yeah

Seriously - this got tears from me.  I'd like to see the entire testimony session, I bet there were a lot of doosies.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Those things are not mutually exclusive. We can "take care of people" and worry about slurs, racism, etc. 

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

Those things are not mutually exclusive. We can "take care of people" and worry about slurs, racism, etc. 

I found it much more interesting that 9 out of 10 native Americans don't give a hoot.  

On 1/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I found it much more interesting that 9 out of 10 native Americans don't give a hoot.  

They probably don't.... But thank the Lord for the liberal white man. Always there to let minorities know when they should/shouldn't be offended.

22 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Deadspin. Doing that thing where they make Fox News look stupid.

Fox News does a pretty dang good job at that themselves.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

They probably don't.... But thank the Lord for the liberal white man. Always there to let minorities know when they should/shouldn't be offended.

See? Now you understand how white people are the problem :P

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

See? Now you understand how white people are the problem :P

It was an enlightening moment when it all came together:lol:

Edited by B.B. Hemingway

Cultural critic e working for esteemed serving-the-underserved anti-Trump kindly conservatives publication National Review. Hosts a movies podcast with Russ Douthat, one of many esteemed conservative voices at the paper of record. Theater critic for the stately, intellectual conservative journal New Criterion. Which by the way:

Spoiler

All of this is to say: there are endless ways smart people find to express a deep and fundamental racism in more agreeable terms. It is the task of the discerning observer to see it for what it is, and not to spend their own energies thinking up ways to tell themselves "actually, I just don't happen to like this particular [black/woman/etc/etc/etc] thing, and that's OK" over and over without seeing the pattern.

• Plus1 1

I read through this entire thread, and just...

:eek:

I mean I always knew it was out there, but the insidiousness of white racism , and how at times it can be so subtle while and incredibly brazen--is just mind-numbing.  

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

isn't it his right to shoot at black kids who are bothering him asking for directions?

The messed up part (well, one of many) is that they asked to the use the bathroom but were told it was for customers only... they hadn't bought anything because they were waiting for their friend. A witness said a woman had asked to used the bathroom before they arrived without buying anything and was allowed to. Another woman had been there for hours and wasn't asked to leave like these men were.

Video here of them being arrested and completely keeping their cool. Other people were appalled.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Does it make me a bad person if this is the first thing that popped into my head:

Image result for michael scott racist workshop

• Plus1 2

20 hours ago, funhusker said:

Does it make me a bad person if this is the first thing that popped into my head:

Image result for michael scott racist workshop

Last night I was sitting around with a group of guys and one saw this headline on his phone.  Everyone was talking about how stupid it is for Starbucks to do this.  Now, they were all Republican typical group from central Nebraska.

Have to say, I probably agree with them....but maybe for differing reasons.

This just seems like a ploy to try to save face by the company.  Symbolic with little substance.

Interesting how all these cops didn't fear for their lives. 

• Plus1 1

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, Fru said:

Interesting how all these cops didn't fear for their lives. 

:lame:facepalm:

I'd like to hear from you how this proves that racism is a real thing? Seems like you are doing nothing but trying to stir the proverbial pot here. No posting other links to try and prove your point either, I want to hear how this specific video clip fits what you're trying to say. Because to me you're trying to push that if this individual was a minority things would've been handled differently. You obviously don't know that so it gives the appearance you're doing nothing, but trying to cause problems and continue to drive, simply put, a B.S. narrative. 

• Plus1 1