Racism - It's a real thing.

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Politics makes for strange bedfellows -- especially when you choose your allies based on mutual hatred. From https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dpwamv/when-malcolm-x-met-the-nazis-0000620-v22n4

Overt anti-Semitism, it turned out, was something the two groups could bond over. While Rockwell pushed his hatred of Jews to frothy extremes, Muhammad backed a range of racist theories, including the hoax that the Jews had financed the slave trade. (Malcolm X was cagier about his anti-Semitism, often deferring to Muhammad's conspiracy theories rather than offering his own.) [...]

Division of the races was another mutual bugbear. Malcolm X's speech that night was titled "Separation or Death." Inside the arena, Rockwell told reporters, "I am fully in concert with their program, and I have the highest respect for Elijah Muhammad." The question of where to send America's blacks—the NOI wanted a chunk of the US, while the ANP wanted a full deportation to Africa—was, he said, his only quarrel with the Muslims. 

This wasn't quite true. The Nazis and NOI also disagreed over whether black people were human beings

:o 

I think this underscores the importance of priorities and also clear eyed-ness. We have to be able to grasp what is more of a problem facing us today -- for example, obviously, yes, discrimination can happen to white people, sexual abuse can happen to men, and so on. Where confusion sets in is when the minor issue becomes viewed as the larger issue, or worse, when efforts to combat the larger issue are seen as not only exclusionary but actively working against the larger issue. And so, the oppressor becomes the oppressed.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...