Racism - It's a real thing.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I’ve never heard Lebron James speak and think he’s not smart, so it’s hard for me to believe Trump thinks he’s dumb for any reason other than he’s Black. There are also plenty of White people on TV who speak against Trump, but he singles Lemon out as the one who’s the most dumb. He also wanted to look into whether affirmative action was how Obama got into Harvard, and he seems obsessed with Harvard and affirmative action above and beyond affirmative action in general.

Yeah!

Everyone should just buy their way into Harvard like Kushner!

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I’ve never heard Lebron James speak and think he’s not smart, so it’s hard for me to believe Trump thinks he’s dumb for any reason other than he’s Black. There are also plenty of White people on TV who speak against Trump, but he singles Lemon out as the one who’s the most dumb. He also wanted to look into whether affirmative action was how Obama got into Harvard, and he seems obsessed with Harvard and affirmative action above and beyond affirmative action in general.

To be fair, he also says Maxine Walters is a low IQ individual. 

• And Mexican's are rapists from $hithole countries (and are all drug dealers)
  • Muslims are all bad and should be banned from the US.
  • He "forgets" to help Puerto Rico post hurricane.
  • Pushes that Obama was not from America.
  • Takes immigrant children away from their parents.
  • But he Praises Putin and Nazis.  

• Plus1 3

Gee.....I wonder why the KKK and the Neo-Nazis love the Republican party and their media spokes people so much.

What I love about America is its animating idea: “That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

What Ingraham loved about America was apparently its former demographic profile. Now that Hispanic and Asian immigrants have triggered “massive demographic changes,” the America she loves “doesn’t exist anymore.” Sad!

• Plus1 1

On 5/21/2018 at 11:58 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

I get that. I think the debate about collective solutions vs. individualism is both valid & important to have. 

The reason I don't subscribe too heavily to the individualist side of the debate is because it seems to me that the most eager Libertarian & individualist voices are typically people who strike me as being born on second or third base.

They don't typically acknowledge that we all start from different starting lines in life, which is a belief that I hold very deeply. 

Of course lassiez faire individualism is a good deal for such folks. They have (and likely have had, throughout their lives) greater access to resources than others.

I'm probably broad-brushing a good deal here, but it's just how I view things. I think we should work on creating a level playing field for more people so the individualism part works more equitably, but that isn't a goal these folks would likely share.

Good post. I think the attempts by some liberals to reduce people to membership in certain groups based on race, gender, etc. are a real problem. Why not change affirmative action to benefit first-generation college students, poor people generally, etc. I think it would be far more popular and constitutionally defensible if that was the case.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Good post. I think the attempts by some liberals to reduce people to membership in certain groups based on race, gender, etc. are a real problem. Why not change affirmative action to benefit first-generation college students, poor people generally, etc. I think it would be far more popular and constitutionally defensible if that was the case.

I don’t agree with the first sentence. That they do that.

But I think this could be a good idea. The reason affirmative action is a thing is because racist people can’t be trusted to make decisions on these things in an unbiased way. It helps ensure that even if racists are making decisions on admission or employment, the people they’re racist against still have a chance. And I think the last several years have shown us that it’s still needed.

Your idea is good and it would help a lot of minorities but I could still see people abusing it by only helping the types of people who look like them who fall into those categories.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t agree with the first sentence. That they do that.

But I think this could be a good idea. The reason affirmative action is a thing is because racist people can’t be trusted to make decisions on these things in an unbiased way. It helps ensure that even if racists are making decisions on admission or employment, the people they’re racist against still have a chance. And I think the last several years have shown us that it’s still needed.

Your idea is good and it would help a lot of minorities but I could still see people abusing it by only helping the types of people who look like them who fall into those categories.

The problem now is that if Oprah or Michael Jordan’s kid applied to college, they would qualify for benefits that some poor white kid from Appalachia who’s the first in his family to think about college could not qualify for. That seems pretty silly and remarkably unfair.

I see liberals, not all but many, who constantly assign merit to people based on their membership in aggrieved groups. That’s what the whole “check your privilege” nonsense is about. There are all kinds of examples.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

For colleges using race-based affirmative action, it’s certainly true. The truly disadvantaged in our society are the poor and kids who are the first in their families to go to college. Those kids are also disproportionately minorities. So making admission policies favor the poor or first-generation kids will still help the minorities who really need help. But they’ll be fairer and move away from the perversity of judging people by their skin color.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

For colleges using race-based affirmative action, it’s certainly true. The truly disadvantaged in our society are the poor and kids who are the first in their families to go to college. Those kids are also disproportionately minorities. So making admission policies favor the poor or first-generation kids will still help the minorities who really need help. But they’ll be fairer and move away from the perversity of judging people by their skin color.

Can you cite any evidence for your claim?