Racism - It's a real thing.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Of course the specifics matter when some are trying to ruin the kid's life!  

I would completely agree with you, if the altercation wasn't instigated by the older man. 

If a white guy w/ an acoustic guitar approached a BLM group like that, and got his a$$ beat, the narrative would of been that he had deserved it.... And in no way am I suggesting that should of happened to the elderly man, just an example to show the clear double standard. 

Ruin a kid's life? Hardly. To be honest if he had his acceptance to a college revoked over a viral video blowing up, that's not a ruined life. He could re-apply other places or take a year off.

If he didn't want to chance that, he could've moved aside like a normal human being instead of staring down an old man. He doesn't really have the right to block the old man's path when they're both outside on pubic ground. If I see somebody strolling along towards me like that, I move out of the way. It's a natural reaction. He could've done that instead of choosing to block his way.

I don't particularly care if this is an unpopular opinion. Regardless of where the old man chose to walk, the kid could've responded better. He chose not to.

• Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Ruin a kid's life? Hardly. To be honest if he had his acceptance to a college revoked over a viral video blowing up, that's not a ruined life. He could re-apply other places or take a year off.

If he didn't want to chance that, he could've moved aside like a normal human being instead of staring down an old man. He doesn't really have the right to block the old man's path when they're both outside on pubic ground. If I see somebody strolling along towards me like that, I move out of the way. It's a natural reaction. He could've done that instead of choosing to block his way.

I don't particularly care if this is an unpopular opinion. Regardless of where the old man chose to walk, the kid could've responded better. He chose not to.

Or, the adult could have chose to avoid the urge of entering into a situation he knew he was about to make hostile. With everything that has come out, the kid did nothing wrong, despite having a drum beat inches from his face, and others telling him to leave the country he was born in, because he's white. He stood his ground. Good for him.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Or, the adult could have chose to avoid the urge of entering into a situation he knew he was about to make hostile. With everything that has come out, the kid did nothing wrong, despite having a drum beat inches from his face, and others telling him to leave the country he was born in, because he's white. He stood his ground. Good for him.

The comment about going back to Europe was in response to something the kid behind him said but the audio is too quiet to pick it up. But he ends his commentary with "so get out of my face with that sh**."  Based on the reply I'd guess the kid told him to go back to where he came from, but he shouldn't have responded that way. The guy with the drum claims he was trying to diffuse a situation that was happening before with another group and the kids and that's why he approached. (He said that before the video showing him approaching was released).

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Nope. Sorry. He could've moved aside. You can't control the actions of others. You can be accountable for yourself. He could've defused the situation entirely by simply getting out the guy's way, even if he was wandering through a crowd.

Not that I expect many kids to be smart or mature enough to respond that way, but this is really more indicative of manners than anything.

And honestly, I don't feel like I'm in any position to be telling the Native Americans how to feel about what the white man has done to their native lands.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Nope. Sorry. He could've moved aside. You can't control the actions of others. You can be accountable for yourself. He could've defused the situation entirely by simply getting out the guy's way, even if he was wandering through a crowd.

Not that I expect many kids to be smart or mature enough to respond that way, but this is really more indicative of manners than anything.

And honestly, I don't feel like I'm in any position to be telling the Native Americans how to feel about what the white man has done to their native lands.

Deflecting all blame from the adult, who was also the instigator. Crazy. I mean, I know why he's getting a pass, but crazy nonetheless.

Oh, please. 21st century native Americans aren't  victims  of genocide, and 21st century White Men aren't the culprits.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Deflecting all blame from the adult, who was also the instigator. Crazy. I mean, I know why he's getting a pass, but crazy nonetheless. 

Oh, please. 21st century native Americans aren't  victims  of genocide, and 21st century White Men aren't the culprits. 

Eyeroll.gif

I don't think there's any blame deflection going on here. If the adult is wrong, it will come out in the wash... from more sources than right-wing internet celebs and anonymous kids who may be in CYA mode. If he truly was completely at fault and the kids were blameless, we'll find out eventually one way or the other.

What I see is a man peacefully demonstrating on public grounds (the kids don't own the ground they're standing on) and a young man who made a choice to enter into a confrontation with him instead of avoiding one. Like I said, you can't control others. There are plenty of jags in the world. You don't have to engage with them if you choose not to.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The more versions of the video i watch the less of a big deal it seams. No one here will ever know 100% what happened especially before the cameras came on. Personally i dont think either side handled things well. 

Who ever the adults that were there with the high school students should have done something to try and diffuse the situation dont let a bunch of amped up mocking teenagers surround a group of people no matter who they are. The students can in my opinion clearly be seen mocking the native americans as well.

But i don't think it was necessary to march in to that large crowd either. It almost seems like they were doing it to get a reaction. Would it have been cool if the students just watched what they were doing and everyone shook hands after sure but they knew there was a chance that wouldn't be the reaction.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

The more versions of the video i watch the less of a big deal it seams. No one here will ever know 100% what happened especially before the cameras came on. Personally i dont think either side handled things well. 

Who ever the adults that were there with the high school students should have done something to try and diffuse the situation dont let a bunch of amped up mocking teenagers surround a group of people no matter who they are. The students can in my opinion clearly be seen mocking the native americans as well.

But i don't think it was necessary to march in to that large crowd either. It almost seems like they were doing it to get a reaction. Would it have been cool if the students just watched what they were doing and everyone shook hands after sure but they knew there was a chance that wouldn't be the reaction.

This is a wonderful post.  I wish more people could just admit this.  

I guess I’m looking at it from the elders POV.  He was already there for his cause.  A cause that he has taken up since 2000, iirc.  He’s there to honor his people and a group of predominantly white teenagers wearing MAGA hats comes to his area and start chanting/singing over him.

So he approaches them.  Should he?  Difficult for ME to say.  I can see how someone, given recent history of MAGA hat wearing people, would want to reclaim what they feel was being taken from them at that point.

I can see where the teenagers probably were oblivious to what their singing could be seen as.  And I can see where the elder felt compelled to react to it.

The teenagers are videoed doing the Florida St war chant and chop-that, in itself is derogatory in nature to the elder.  You can see in the video they are laughing and chanting and being complete idiots.

The kid standing still knew exactly what he was doing.  He wasn’t trying to get an up close experience of what the elder was chanting.  It was dumb.  And now his face is going to be a face of racist overtones because he chose to be a smug a$$h@!e in a MAGA hat.  Right, wrong, or indifferent.

I believe that teenager WANTED to be that guy.  He knew there were cameras everywhere but chose to remain in front of the elder.  He wanted this notoriety.  And he got it.

The additional video doesn’t dispute the behavior of the teenagers.  I just hope the parents can use this as a teaching moment.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1