Racism - It's a real thing.

2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

As had been said probably numerous times before, we've still never nailed down when exactly the "again" is that the MAGA crowd wants us to return to so we can be made great.

It's a funny question, because the further you go back in time, the better things tend to look comparatively for the white American and the worse they tend to look for everyone else.

Which tells you a lot about their motivations. Not all of them, mind you. Some of them, I assume, are good people.

Really with this?

I think it's fairly obvious. Republicans have an admiration for Reagan, and it was his slogan. Trump used it to appeal to the base. Pretty darn cut and dry.

The "Maga" kid/native American controversy was manufactured, and it played out, almost literally, the opposite of how it was originally reported.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Really with this?

I think it's fairly obvious. Republicans have an admiration for Reagan, and it was his slogan. Trump used it to appeal to the base. Pretty darn cut and dry.

I don't know.  Reagan was, or very recently, President when most of these interviews took place.  Trump has always just been a person who like to complain about things with no realistic strategy on how to fix it.

https://www.npr.org/2017/01/20/510680463/donald-trumps-been-saying-the-same-thing-for-30-years

Edit: Sorry @B.B. Hemingway I originally misread your post.  At first blush, I thought you meant he wanted things to be like they were when Reagan was Pres...

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

And that's why the slogan was used by Trump. But we'll continue to pretend that it's a hidden message of a desired time period where White people wish to retreat based on race.

edit:  I shouldn't watch the game, type on HB, and do homework at the same time....

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't know.  Reagan was, or very recently, President when most of these interviews took place.  Trump has always just been a person who like to complain about things with no realistic strategy on how to fix it.

https://www.npr.org/2017/01/20/510680463/donald-trumps-been-saying-the-same-thing-for-30-years

Edit: Sorry @B.B. Hemingway I originally misread your post.  At first blush, I thought you meant he wanted things to be like they were when Reagan was Pres...

Gotcha. Yeah, I was confused by your response.:lol:

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

And that's why the slogan was used by Trump. But we'll continue to pretend that it's a hidden message of a desired time period where White people wish to retreat based on race. 

This is a neat way to whitewash the latent racist dogwhistles (well, bullhorns now) that have been key in the GOP base for literally decades.

Hell, the GOP has been the party of varying degrees of racism since the signing of the Civil Rights Act, and you still get morons saying stuff like "Democrats wanted to keep slavery!"

And of course, the overt white identity politics of Trump's GOP.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

This is a neat way to whitewash the latent racist dogwhistles (well, bullhorns now) that have been key in the GOP base for literally decades.

Hell, the GOP has been the party of varying degrees of racism since the signing of the Civil Rights Act, and you still get morons saying stuff like "Democrats wanted to keep slavery!"

And of course, the overt white identity politics of Trump's GOP.

That's not what I'm doing at all. I was telling you the origin of the campaign slogan. As you said, there's enough over the racism out there for consumption. Don't manufacture it where it's not.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Really with this?

I... don't think so. I've always assumed it was more of a 50's thing.

And Trump was complaining about Japan and trade in the 80s.

27 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Oh look, another leftist social warrior calling someone who doesn’t agree with their viewpoint a racist. 

I’ve been called worse.  You’ll have to do better to get under my skin.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I would not want to hire a PR firm...but I also would be freaked out by the crazy f#&%s on social media that were being their crazy selfs.   

Would probably make more sense to hire a security firm instead.

• Plus1 1