Racism - It's a real thing.

I am not, I am simply looking at things from all sides.  You realize black people have MAGA hats, right?  Clearly what it means to you and your views are not the same to everyone.  

I don't have one, they are ugly, I would never buy president gear or give a dime to a campaign.  

Also, how much impact has the Shawshank Redemption have on the word obtuse?  

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You think Nirvana were advocates of heroin and suicide because a member of the band was addicted and killed himself?

Kurt was, he used it all the time...then killed himself.   Kurt was sort of THE band too, but you can argue that Dave was/is the most talented by far.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am not, I am simply looking at things from all sides.  You realize black people have MAGA hats, right?  Clearly what it means to you and your views are not the same to everyone.  

I don't have one, they are ugly, I would never buy president gear or give a dime to a campaign.  

Also, how much impact has the Shawshank Redemption have on the word obtuse?  

Kurt was, he used it all the time...then killed himself.   Kurt was sort of THE band too, but you can argue that Dave was/is the most talented by far.

You realize people of color support Donald Trump too right?

• Plus1 2

Buying and wearing merchandise with the slogan of a president is a direct campaign contribution.  This is not up for debate.  The purchase is a literal show of support.  This is not up for debate.

What is up for debate is what the merchandise represents as far as his ideals.  But the purchase and display is unequivocally support.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Buying and wearing merchandise with the slogan of a president is a direct campaign contribution.  This is not up for debate.  The purchase is a literal show of support.  This is not up for debate.

What is up for debate is what the merchandise represents as far as his ideals.  But the purchase and display is unequivocally support.

So, just to be clear, anything you purchase is a literal show of support for that product/company/owner/Practices of business.  Got it, thanks for clearing that up!

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

But many of the people who go to those churches do. And the Fathers in those churches have a responsibility to shepherd the hearts and minds of the people in their flocks, lest atrocities continue to happen on their watch.  Matthew 19: 16-24, and all that.

That verse only counts if people are legal. If they are illegal it is thrown out. Everyone knows that. 

How much do you have to believe in someone in order to purchase a shirt, put a bumper sticker on your car, even place a sign in your yard?   A LOT.  One can assume, with near 100% certainty that someone who does so is proud to be aligned, and is an advocate for their brand.

If you are a loyal Husker, what do you do when there are a bunch of free Iowa or Wisconsin hats available at a DC walk?  Grab them and make a scene so that you're on film supporting one of those teams?

14 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Really with this?

I think it's fairly obvious. Republicans have an admiration for Reagan, and it was his slogan. Trump used it to appeal to the base. Pretty darn cut and dry.

Well yeah. They were both appealing to the same thing: this almost magical time when everyone know who we were, behaved strong and brave, and had nothing but bright future spread before us.

What most of these people are remembering is their youth; when their parents we alive, the rules were clear, they felt safe, and the future hadn't played out yet. The actual America of those wistful times was far more complex. Many in that generation were probably wistful for World War II, when the nation came together and defeated clear evil. But you can't say you want to get back to World War II again, right?  The racial subtext is there, too, whether they want to talk about it or not. 

And if you really study Reagan, in both words and actions, he would have been the bleeding heart Hollywood lefty on the Republican debate stage in 2016. 

Donald Trump is taking America to a much darker place, and has played unambiguous race cards to appeal to an angrier base. The surviving veterans of the Reagan revolution have largely lined up against Donald Trump, some pretty vociferously. 

Also, many of those Reagan era policies designed to make us great have backfired horribly. We don't talk about that much. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1