Racism - It's a real thing.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So, just to be clear, anything you purchase is a literal show of support for that product/company/owner/Practices of business.  Got it, thanks for clearing that up!

You're doing this on purpose and it isn't a good look. You know there is a difference between buying and wearing an adidas shirt and a MAGA hat. The fact you aren't willing to acknowledge the difference is quite sad. 

• Plus1 3

19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Clearly what it means to you and your views are not the same to everyone.  

Good point.

Rap music is the most derogatory genre of music out there, and it's wildly popular (for some reason). Does everyone that listens to it support drugs, extreme womanizing, murder, racism, and other extreme forms of violence? Guilty by association, like you suggested. Right. 

Just because you may agree with the sentiment of making "America Great Again", doesn't mean you necessarily align yourself with the President (it also could mean just that). It's a broad term, that could mean something different to many people (on many sides:lol:).

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

You're doing this on purpose and it isn't a good look. You know there is a difference between buying and wearing an adidas shirt and a MAGA hat. The fact you aren't willing to acknowledge the difference is quite sad. 

He's just trolling.  I just wish I would have noticed it sooner.  I'm done.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Good point.

Rap music is the most derogatory genre of music out there, and it's wildly popular (for some reason). Does everyone that listens to it support drugs, extreme womanizing, murder, racism, and other extreme forms of violence? Guilty by association, like you suggested. Right. 

Just because you may agree with the sentiment of making "America Great Again", doesn't mean you necessarily align yourself with the President (it also could mean just that). It's a broad term, that could mean something different to many people (on many sides:lol:).

Oh, I like this debate! Are we having it again? Because I heard some pretty nasty country music at the Tack Room in Lincoln. It was hilarious though.

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well yeah. They were both appealing to the same thing: this almost magical time when everyone know who we were, behaved strong and brave, and had nothing but bright future spread before us.

What most of these people are remembering is their youth; when their parents we alive, the rules were clear, they felt safe, and the future hadn't played out yet. The actual America of those wistful times was far more complex. Many in that generation were probably wistful for World War II, when the nation came together and defeated clear evil. But you can't say you want to get back to World War II again, right?  The racial subtext is there, too, whether they want to talk about it or not. 

And if you really study Reagan, in both words and actions, he would have been the bleeding heart Hollywood lefty on the Republican debate stage in 2016. 

Donald Trump is taking America to a much darker place, and has played unambiguous race cards to appeal to an angrier base. The surviving veterans of the Reagan revolution have largely lined up against Donald Trump, some pretty vociferously. 

Also, many of those Reagan era policies designed to make us great have backfired horribly. We don't talk about that much. 

Yeah, I wasn't defending Trump, or Reagan.  I just think it was an obvious attempt to stir up the base as Reagan did. 

As far as a racial subtext, I guess you'll find what you're looking for. It's disingenuous to assume that's what it means to all people 

• Thanks 1

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, I wasn't defending Trump, or Reagan.  I just think it was an obvious attempt to stir up the base as Reagan did. 

As far as a racial subtext, I guess you'll find what you're looking for. It's disingenuous to assume that's what it means to all people 

Yeah, I think Trump made the slogan up because he's too dumb to be any more clever. Not because he is a racists. But it also does beg the question that follow it, and no one seems to be able to answer them.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Good point.

If you want this analogy to work BB you'd have to be specific to an artist or a song/album.  And align that to the negative things you mentioned above.  What about Lecrae?  Andy Mineo?  Are they in the same bucket as rappers as Emenim?  What about Kayne?  Drake?  Joseph Simmons?   R Kelly?

You can't say all rap is bad just like you can't say all red baseball caps are bad.

If you truly think that MAGA as a statement is anything other than a true Trump branded ideal you're either pretty naiive or you're just trying to troll the group.

5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

If you want this analogy to work BB you'd have to be specific to an artist or a song/album.  And align that to the negative things you mentioned above.  What about Lecrae?  Andy Mineo?  Are they in the same bucket as rappers as Emenim?  What about Kayne?  Drake?  Joseph Simmons?   R Kelly?

You can't say all rap is bad just like you can't say all red baseball caps are bad.

If you truly think that MAGA as a statement is anything other than a true Trump branded ideal you're either pretty naiive or you're just trying to troll the group.

Opposing opinions is not trolling.

I said the genre as a whole. It's really an inarguable point.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Opposing opinions is not trolling.

I said the genre as a whole. It's really an inarguable point.

No its not. You don't listen to rap music and are makimg generalizations. There are so many rap records just this year that don't support the things you talked about. Try After the Rain by the Underachievers.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Disagree = Trolling

Not admitting my post is the right way to think = Naive 

Eyeroll (eyeTroll, which I give props to St. Paul for coming up with it, it is a good one) coming in 5...4...3...2...

No your opinion is just so ridiculous we think you are trolling. 

• Plus1 1