Racism - It's a real thing.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I've listened to plenty of rap music. Plenty.

Christian rappers is the hill you want to die on here?....

Yup.

Yet you generalize it. It makes me think you actually haven't listened to that much at all. I only listen to rap music and many of my favorite artist are advocates against violence, drug use and disrespect towards women. You would know there is a large portion of artists out there who stand for good values if you listened to plenty of rap music. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Well, then. You DEFINITELY support gang violence, murder, drugs, cop killing, and womanizing. 

This is a ridiculous comparison.

Rappers don’t sign laws or executive orders, they can’t send us to war, they can’t kick people out if the military or roll back environmental rules that prevent health problems, and listening to their songs won’t give them the ability to do so, like voting for a president does. The president can change laws that have a true impact on the people he doesn’t like. Nothing a rapper does comes close to this.

Wearing a maga hat means you’re ok with the impact Trump is having or going to have on the people he disparages. With rap that impact is close to nil, so supporting it isn’t indirectly impacting people the way supporting Trump is.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yet you generalize it. It makes me think you actually haven't listened to that much at all. I only listen to rap music and many of my favorite artist are advocates against violence, drug use and disrespect towards women. You would know there is a large portion of artists out there who stand for good values if you listened to plenty of rap music. 

Do those rappers have a harder time getting popular?  

I feel like there is the old guard:  Ice-T, Cube, Nate Dogg (is he dead?), Warren G, Snoop, Coolio (Sort of), Master P, Nelly, Eminem...

Then it seems like a lot of sort of one hit guys or dudes that just collaborate.  

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Rappers don’t sign laws or executive orders, they can’t send us to war, and listening to their songs won’t give them the ability to do so, like voting for a president does. The president can change laws that have a true impact on the people he doesn’t like.

Rappers can go to war...West Coast vs East Coach...amiright???

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I feel like there is the old guard:  Ice-T, Cube, Nate Dogg (is he dead?), Warren G, Snoop, Coolio (Sort of), Master P, Nelly, Eminem...

Then it seems like a lot of sort of one hit guys or dudes that just collaborate.  

Yes, Nate passed away a few years ago.  

Just now, teachercd said:

To a degree, yes. It is easier to make it in the mainstream if you are the type of rapper BB is referring to, but that doesn't mean you can't make it as a what they would call 'concious' artist. This has always been true but the idea of concious rap is as old as the genre itself. Grand Master Flash, Rakim, A Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, a young Kanye West, these guys made waves in the mainstream as concious artists. Now there are many more in that category, the most popular being Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Chance the Rapper, Mick Jenkins, Noname(incredible female rapper) and many more. They get less radio play but many consider this class of rappers to be the true artists of the genre.

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Rappers don’t sign laws or executive orders, they can’t send us to war, and listening to their songs won’t give them the ability to do so, like voting for a president does. The president can change laws that have a true impact on the people he doesn’t like.

Artistic expression should never be compared to political rhetoric. 

5 minutes ago, sho said:

Yes, Nate passed away a few years ago.  

R.I.P. 

The man was one of the most hypnotic singers of all time 

59 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It wasn't David Allan Coe, was it? 

Negative ghost Rider. It was live music and it was hilarious and excellent. It was just dirty songs about sex, not racist stuff. I wish the guys playing made an album with their songs because they were hilarious.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know there is a difference between certain diocese.  We are in the Grand Island diocese (which put me squarely in small town Nebraska ) and I can say that I have never sat in church and felt like I was being preached to in any way that would indicate the church has the same beliefs of how we should treat people in need as this administration.  

Now, that is completely different than if you polled the people sitting in the pews....and that's where I'm contending the hypocrisy is at. 

I would agree with you.  There is no homily I have heard even in the small town parishes where they support anything Trump is about.  It's coming from the pews.

4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

It's interesting that you bring up Colin Kaepernick.  

If someone were to wear a shirt that says, "I'm with Kap" is it safe to assume that they support his views on social issues?

Only if it’s safe to assume Kap supports Castro