Racism - It's a real thing.

56 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Probably one of the worst choose your side adventures the media has drummed up.

Did you see the part where the original Tweet that gave incorrect info and context was not from "a concerned teacher" as stated, but from a troll account in Brazil that has since been banned by Twitter?  

On 1/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, StPaulHusker said:

His child molestation monologue bit on SNL was hilarious

On 1/24/2019 at 11:29 AM, StPaulHusker said:

His child molestation monologue bit on SNL was hilarious

It wasn't hilarious

That was a great bit, but probably really offensive to child molesters.

If wearing a MAGA hat is being guilty by association to an immoral man and the immoral man's deeds, then owning an Apple or Nike product makes you guilty of sweatshop labor abuse by association as well.

I'm still yet to see anything that these kids did wrong other than wear hats and smile. The left's swift misjudgment, doxxing, character assassination, collateral damage and completely inaccurate and non-factual assessments of this however were all completely wrong, and pretty alarming/disgusting.

16 year old kids go to a pro-life march. Get called faggots and all host of other insulting remarks. They do school chants to try and ignore and drown out the harassment. Then have an old man (who has been at the center of these sorts of things before, and who characterized himself as a Vietnam veteran despite having never served in Vietnam) get in their face banging a drum. They didn't instigate anything, they didn't surround anybody, they didn't chant "Build the Wall". The worst that happened was 1-2 kids briefly did tomahawk chops. What I imagine happened is they are stupid 16 year olds who were nervous and confused. Then one of them has smart and well off parents who hire a PR firm because people are calling for violence and trying to ruin this kid's life.

So... what's the problem? What terrible offense was committed by these boys? I'd much rather focus on people spreading misinformation, people calling for violence against a minor, people doxxing a minor, the black israelites being a volatile disgusting hate group, or any NUMBER of actual legitimate things to be upset about than the actual focus of this non-story. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Landlord said:

If wearing a MAGA hat is being guilty by association to an immoral man and the immoral man's deeds, then owning an Apple or Nike product makes you guilty of sweatshop labor abuse by association as well.

Man I thought we were over this. MAGA hat=support for Donald Trump. Why else would you purchase one? 

People don't purchase Apple products to support Tim Cook or Steve Jobs or the things their company does or stands for. They purchase Apple products because they are the most secure, or fastest, or coolest technology available. Same for Nike. The motovations for buying and using these products is COMPLETELY different from the motivations for buying and wearing a MAGA hat.

• Plus1 5
7 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'm still yet to see anything that these kids did wrong other than wear hats and smile. The left's swift misjudgment, doxxing, character assassination, collateral damage and completely inaccurate and non-factual assessments of this however were all completely wrong, and pretty alarming/disgusting.

16 year old kids go to a pro-life march. Get called faggots and all host of other insulting remarks. They do school chants to try and ignore and drown out the harassment. Then have an old man (who has been at the center of these sorts of things before, and who characterized himself as a Vietnam veteran despite having never served in Vietnam) get in their face banging a drum. They didn't instigate anything, they didn't surround anybody, they didn't chant "Build the Wall". The worst that happened was 1-2 kids briefly did tomahawk chops. What I imagine happened is they are stupid 16 year olds who were nervous and confused. Then one of them has smart and well off parents who hire a PR firm because people are calling for violence and trying to ruin this kid's life.

So... what's the problem? What terrible offense was committed by these boys? I'd much rather focus on people spreading misinformation, people calling for violence against a minor, people doxxing a minor, the black israelites being a volatile disgusting hate group, or any NUMBER of actual legitimate things to be upset about than the actual focus of this non-story. 

While these are all pretty fair remarks, for the most part...

I don't think there is any definitive way to know what was or wasn't chanted along with the Tomahawk chops. Of course the kid at the center of the entire thing is going to say they did nothing wrong. Perhaps the didn't. But Phillips and a photojournalist there to cover the Indigenous Peoples' March both claim they did indeed hear chants of "build that wall" and "Trump 2020." Take that FWIW.

And then there is this. Covington, at the very least, has a horrible blindspot for racially insensitive behavior. And that's being generous. Given the very descriptive thread from a documentary maker I posted earlier in this thread (that this photo is completely compatible with), it's fair to question the culture in which these students are being educated.

This is from 2012. How does a school think it's appropriate to let those 4+ young men stay and attend the game? Unspeakably awful judgment on the part of the school.

covington-crazies.jpg?w=842

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Man I thought we were over this. MAGA hat=support for Donald Trump. Why else would you purchase one? 

People don't purchase Apple products to support Tim Cook or Steve Jobs or the things their company does or stands for. They purchase Apple products because they are the most secure, or fastest, or coolest technology available. Same for Nike. The motovations for buying and using these products is COMPLETELY different from the motivations for buying and wearing a MAGA hat.

It's a strong analogy. A main criticism of Trump supporters is that they are either 1) racists or 2) indifferent to racism. An argument can definitely be made there must be some indifference to the less-than-sterling labor histories of these companies, thus the people proudly wearing the Swoosh or camping in line for the new $1000 iPhone are guilty by association. 

For reference, I love my iPhone and Nikes. 

3 minutes ago, Caveman said:

It's a strong analogy. A main criticism of Trump supporters is that they are either 1) racists or 2) indifferent to racism. An argument can definitely be made there must be some indifference to the less-than-sterling labor histories of these companies, thus the people proudly wearing the Swoosh or camping in line for the new $1000 iPhone are guilty by association. 

For reference, I love my iPhone and Nikes. 

Not a strong analogy whatsoever. Tell me, what is someones motivation for buying a MAGA hat? Why do they purchase that and choose to wear it in most cases in your opinion? 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not a strong analogy whatsoever. Tell me, what is someones motivation for buying a MAGA hat? Why do they purchase that and choose to wear it in most cases in your opinion? 

Just to make this simple and to finally destroy your argument, I will ONLY purchase clothing and shoes that are made in sweatshops, I do that because I support low wages and long hours in horrible conditions.  The only reason I purchase apple...to support Mr. Jobs, that is it, the only reason.

There, now since one person has admitted that, you can't continue to say it is not a good analogy :)

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

This is what about 10 other posters have said in this thread and it keeps getting the same treatment...but it is correct.

The people who don't like this post...are hating on it because they have to justify why the s#!t they buy is "okay".  I get that and honestly, I am fine with it, we all do it.  I just don't know why you wouldn't admit it on a post board.

I will GLADLY buy sweatshop stuff if it is cool and cheap and what I am looking for.  Happy to buy it!

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Just to make this simple and to finally destroy your argument, I will ONLY purchase clothing and shoes that are made in sweatshops, I do that because I support low wages and long hours in horrible conditions.  The only reason I purchase apple...to support Mr. Jobs, that is it, the only reason.

There, now since one person has admitted that, you can't continue to say it is not a good analogy :)

So you're a nike guy? 

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The analogy is not based on the motivation for purchases, its based on the injustices being overlooked.